THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Who is the well-heeled American Woman???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who is the well-heeled American Woman???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I included Mother Teresa because she was dead.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Recently, I've seen some pictures on the internet of Marco Polo Sheep. I don't have any idea where they were taken but they are magnificent animals. They definitely need some type of conservation reforms before becoming endangered.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Afghan wildlife under threat
Rare snow leopards and mountain sheep are at risk from American and European big game hunters willing to pay $40 000 (about R235 000) for the chance to shoot in one of the remotest corners of Afghanistan.

But hunting companies are turning their attention to the almost virgin wilderness in Afghanistan's north-east after populations of the Marco Polo sheep, a popular target for trophy-seekers, were depleted by over-hunting in Tajikistan, where corrupt officials issue shooting licences for bribes.

Quote:

Kathi,

Recently, I've seen some pictures on the internet of Marco Polo Sheep. I don't have any idea where they were taken but they are magnificent animals. They definitely need some type of conservation reforms before becoming endangered.

Let's not jump to any conclusions before we know the facts, here. Certainly, an article like the one posted as the entry to this thread hardly constitutes "facts". I could not tell whether Marco Polo populations in Tadjikistan, Kirgistan or elsewhere are over hunted. Nor could I tell whether all or a substantial amount of the proceeds from these hunts fall into the right hands. But I dare say, that because an article like the one above makes such claims, this hardly constitutes facts.

I doubt I'll ever have the loose change to hunt Marco Polo. But a magnificent animal like this surely needs all the protection it can get. However, history has shown us time and again, that the best environment for conservation is one where sustained useage actually provides the animals with a tangible value. Remove hunting, and you remove every incentive to preserve the resource. Conservation needs funding, and do-gooders won't provide this on a larger scale (other than the for the televised projects used to solicit more money). Not all species exist in huntable populations, but for those that do, sensible and sustainable use of the resource offer the best hope for the future.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear,

I think the author is referring to the weight of the horns, not the body weight of the sheep. (At least that is the way I read it).

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote