Find
Notify
Tools

Texas public land buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

After a couple of frustrating days of hunting at the San Angelo Wildlife Management Area, I decided to get aggressive in my tactics today (the last morning of allowed permit hunting there). Using some of Tink's 69 gel and a grunt call, I got this guy to respond around 7:20 a.m.

One shot at app. 95 yards from my Contender carbine in 7mm Bullberry did the trick. I don't like frontal chest shots, but's that's all I had as there was a narrow window through limbs/brush to shoot through. Nonetheless, the 140 grain Nosler Solid Base spitzer performed perfectly, destroying the plumbing around the heart, taking out one lung and apparently lodging in the stomach or nearby organs (did not make it to the intestines). I was somewhat hurried, and despite my efforts, I did not recover the bullet.

No, this isn't some super-scoring book buck and will pale in comparison to what many others have already bagged this season. But considering the fluctuating and windy weather, time constraints (hunt was Wednesday p.m. to noon Friday) and other factors, this was a hard-earned buck that's a trophy in my eyes.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the photos...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
a fine trophy.a memorable hunt. clap

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Say Bobby, if noone else has told you, NICE PHOTOGRAPHY! Very good picture.

At least as seen from from my computer screen.

Posts: 9492 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Scott-

Thanks for the compliments. The photos were actually taken with a relatively inexpensive digital.

I was carrying my Nikon 35mm gear the first 2 days, but there was little promise of anything worthy of a photo. I got serious this morning, ditched much of my day pack and only took the wife's digital as it is small and weighs next to nothing. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the images, but I am probably a little too picky... Big Grin

As someone who feeds the family via old-fashioned film photography, I actually despise digital but must admit that -- for certain applications -- it certainly is convenient.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats on the nice buck... i grew up about 15 miles north of san angelo in the carlsbad/water valley area... i hunted the "government land" long before the permits were required... like in the early 70's... i saw lots of nice deer...since deer populations have been improved by land conservation, improved pastures, game management, the deer only get better....if you could hunt south of water valley, back towards barnhart, you'd see some really nice deer....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby

Your dirty liar...according to all our northern friends there is no public land in Tx.

Great photography and nice buck!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think it's a dandy buck! Congratulations!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
beer

And I also think the pictures are well done.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck. According to all the Texans there are no deer on public lands.... Wink Sounds like you had a great hunt.

I hunted a low fence ranch in Texas and had a great time.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Which area were you hunting? We hunted last year in the doe only hunt and were in area one. Had a three point and one that looked a lot like yours come out about 40-50 yards from my stand and just dink around all one evening. Saw a few bucks, a lor of longhorn cattle, but no does.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
He sure is pretty. Good for you Bobby. thumb

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Joe-

I was about a half-mile back into Area 7 along the Concho River. I believe this is the northern-most section. (It was close to 10 miles from the south gate.)

There was TONS of deer sign, but all I saw the first 2 days were a 3/4th grown bobcat (off limits...darn) and a 50-pound button buck (plus all the famous and friendly longhorns). The deer had gone nocturnal.

I did see lots of shotgun shells on the ground. Guess bird hunters may have pressured the deer as well.

That's another reason I decided to get more aggressive with my tactics. I figured I had nothing to lose as I just wasn't seeing anything.

This was my first time to apply for San Angelo, but it won't be my last. I really like it there -- and the staff is terrific. And after taking this buck, that 5-hour drive didn't seem that long... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bobby, Well done and great photos. Keep up the good work.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a fine buck and OUTSTANDING pics!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a lot more usable public hunting land before TP&W started closing it off and over regulating it. The state even sells land donated for hunting. Nice Buck though.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great job Bobby!! I guess you didn't get the memo that you can't hunt successfully on Public Land here...............

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats on an outstanding buck and thanks for the great pictures!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the very nice buck Bobby. Excellent photos as well.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a hard-earned trophy! It isn't the size of the antlers (not to diminish a great whitetail), but the size of the experience. I'd say you came out well on both ends!

gd

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats, That's a nice buck. I agree, some of the not so big trophies that are hard earned and difficult to bag are much more memorable.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words.

Since the buck was obviously killed in Texas, I've been waiting for one of the AR "regulars" to chime in, hijack the thread and say the deer must have been behind high fence, penned, tied to a feeder and sedated. But it looks like he is too busy defending his choice to be a poacher in another thread... Big Grin

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words. I'm still elated over this deer -- moreso than I've been over any hunting success in a long time.

And as icing on the cake, I didn't even have to burn a tag. The TPWD issues special permits for these hunts. There's a buck near my home that I've been watching for a few years, and I am hoping he'll be around when I get to do some hunting next week. He's no monster, but he's an older buck that needs to be taken from the herd.

However, it won't be easy. This guy didn't grow up by being stupid, and he seems to habitually go MIA from the first day of the season through the last -- and then mysteriously reappears the very next day after the season closes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the buck was obviously killed in Texas, I've been waiting for one of the AR "regulars" to chime in, hijack the thread and say the deer must have been behind high fence, penned, tied to a feeder and sedated. But it looks like he is too busy defending his choice to be a poacher in another thread...

couldn't just let us all congratulate you, eh?beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
nice buck.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice.
i have found that the older i get the more interested i am in making the hunt more memorable.
regardless of the size of the rack. i find myself hunting on the ground more and wanting to get closer and closer to my animal.
the thrill of shooting them at eye level inside 100 yards makes shooting them from stands pale by comparison.
I still havent shot one from the stalk bedded but im working towards that.
finish telling us about the hunt bobbie.
set up, conditions time. distance away from the road/ camp ect ect.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
nice.
i have found that the older i get the more interested i am in making the hunt more memorable.

Indeed, I am even surprised about myself that hunting does gets as exciting and as satisfying as hunting the males.

Public Land? Wow, congratulations, nice buck story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
How did you get close enough to a sleeping buck to put your rifle on him and take such a good picture? clap

Just kidding congrats on your fine looking buck.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Swede44Mag wrote: "How did you get close enough to a sleeping buck to put your rifle on him and take such a good picture?"

Well, I used lots of cover scent -- and also doused a bucket of corn with some Shiner beer from the local brewery. It works every time & puts 'em right to sleep... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
-- and also doused a bucket of corn with some Shiner beer from the local brewery. It works every time & puts 'em right to sleep... Big Grin

That's funny!! Smiler Hope you didn't waste any Shiner Bock on the corn! Smiler

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote