Find
Notify
Tools

WhiteTail targets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

Does anyone know of a source for life sized paper whitetail deer targets? I have seen the 3d targets for bow but that would be impractical for rifle practice.

I am just getting back into deer hunting after a 20 year hiatus. I found my knew rifle today. Just have to get the finances going for it. I had been looking at a #1 in .243 but I picked up a Remington model 7 lss in .243 and it feels really good to me. I really like this gun.

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim B.:
I have seen the 3d targets for bow but that would be impractical for rifle practice.

Yea, but it sure would be fun!

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Jim B.,
In a conversation on another board it was mentioned that 3D targets work just fine for rifle practice. I had originally thought the bullet would expand and blow the foam out, but it was said they just leave caliber sized holes. In time you may need to replace the core, but if you shoot well enough that is all.

If anyone has experience to the contrary I would like to hear it. A guy can buy a lot of paper/cardboard targets for the price of a 3D target, but it would be nice to have something forever.

Hope I was of help,
Bob

Posts: 361 | Location: Stevens Point, WI, USA | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I want life-size deer targets, I stop behind my local supermarket, quickie mart, or other store on the way to the range and pull a few big pieces of cardboard from their dumpster. I then take Mr. Black Magic-Marker and draw what I would like to shoot on the cardboard. I sometimes cut out silloettes too. I use the cut-outs when I want to test my skill at extended ranges.

These targets are free and readily available.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shucks, why do we need a real DEER SIZED TARGET? We aren't going to shoot at the WHOLE DEER. All you really need IMHO is something about the size of a deer's chest cavity at the ranges you intend to shoot.

In my experience, God has sprinkled the earth generously with rocks to be used as just such targets. They give both an audible and visual confirmation when hit.

SIMPLIFY....SIMPLIFY...SIMPLIFY [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45

Back when......

I could take my .243 and put them all in a silver dollar. Now when I backed up 6 feet or more though??????

Seriously, I can sight in a scope and then hit the point of aim. That can be accomplished with any of the sighting in targets. I am wanting a life size target so that I can get back into the concept of "exactly where" I want to shoot.

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=109&Product_ID=7610&CATID=581

4 targets/$4.90 (plus S&H� probably)

-

[ 08-11-2002, 01:11: Message edited by: Sysephus ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I figgerred how to add a pix !!

[ 08-11-2002, 01:11: Message edited by: Sysephus ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Berger>
posted
We get a really nice life sized impala, warthog or buff posters in colour! here for about $2.50.... although we can't get them in styrafoam.... nevertheless...