THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What do you think of this rifle in 30.06?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this rifle in 30.06?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
20 years ago or so S&W were Howa 1500. I had two of them. One was a 223 bull barrel, the other was a 338. I have never seen this gun you posted. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
looks like a 98 mauser action,for sure.nice.Only bad part is the 20" barrel for a 30-06.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen them before in fact I checked one out for a friend in 30-06 carried a Browning Safari label,bore was perfect after I cleaned it.Only flaw was from the previous owned using oil on the receiver and barrel it migrated into the stock at the receiver.As my GS told everyone never apply oil to the exterior of any weapon only scant amounts are for internal parts.My blued & SS weapons are coated with Trewax.The friend who bought it still it & has used it to kill black bear, deer & elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a buddy of mine has one. I mounted a leupold M7 3X on it for him last year. I think he paid $350 for it.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a Husqvarna HVA which is a bit of Mauser 96, a lot of Mauser 98 & a smidgen of pre64 70 Winchester. The breeching is roughly M96 but the gas handling is M98, The bolt is M98 rear with a sort o 96/98 front but the ejector is Winchester 70 ie on the underside rather than on the left. The bottom metal is alloy on my one but I did read recently that aftermarket 98 bottom metal will fit them, not tried it. They're a really nice action to my way of thinking, certainly the equal to a 98 for building a rifle on or using the way they are IMHO. I'd buy another in a shot if I could get one for a decent price.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Shinzo,

Check ou this link. Its not fully wooded but you may be interested.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-shooting/Rifles/auction-169295007.htm

At least its a 30-06 Husky at a good price.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hamish, the price is creeping up a bit now, I think this is actually a M-8000 model Husky which came after the HVA Mauser type. The comment about the dovetails on the front of the bolt makes me think this, I've got a question in on the auction anyway. Mine is the earlier one in 270 Liteweight, similar shaped stock but with a schnabel fore end & I straightened the stock to classic shape to get rid of the humpback in it, nice wee rifle, I've not seen a full stocked one here, I like the shorter stock best, its the action I was commenting on when I said I'd have another like a shot.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Steve,

It was only $435 earlier and as you say the price is getting up there but still not bad.

I don't think the seller knows too much about what he has as the question about the dovetails I took to mean for mounting the scope, when there clearly are Parker Hale style mounts on the action.

As I already have a 30-06 I would probably rebarrel to 6.5x57 but I think this will go up quite a bit more. I don't have too much in the way of readies at the moment.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Steve,

It was only $435 earlier and as you say the price is getting up there but still not bad.

I don't think the seller knows too much about what he has as the question about the dovetails I took to mean for mounting the scope, when there clearly are Parker Hale style mounts on the action.

As I already have a 30-06 I would probably rebarrel to 6.5x57 but I think this will go up quite a bit more. I don't have too much in the way of readies at the moment.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

No answer to my query yet but he obviously doesn't know what an integral dovetail is re scope mounting. I know what you mean about the readies & I don't just mean at the moment. Big Grin
Steve

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I think quite highly of them and have owned two. They are well made, well finished, light weight, and reasonably accurate. I would also not see the barrel length as a significant issue in a .30-06.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You have a very nice Husquvarna. I had one just like it but without the Manlicher style stock. Nice, lightweight and controlled feed rifle.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, sorry for Hamish & I getting off the topic a bit there, what Mark & others have said sums it up well, nice action & 20" is not too short for a 30-06, it would be an excellent woods rifle at that length but still able to do all else you'd expect of a 30-06.
Steve

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I don't want anyone to misunderstand the post. The rifle is not mine, but my friend bought it. He was trying to research it. Apparently it was made in 1960. He is happy with it and that is what matters. He took a scope to it and said the barrel appears to have never been shot, or if it has, that there is no evidence of it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Doc,

We need to get Steve Bruns to weigh in here on this. Think he goes by SBHVA. He knows from where he speaks on the Husqvarna's imported by Tradewinds and by S&W.

As I recall, the full stock models were known in the USA as the 456 (straight comb) and 458 for the MC buttstock. From 1968-72 Husqvarna had Tradewinds distributing their rifles and Smith & Wesson. I believe S&W marketed them as the model D & E. The only difference between the Tradewinds and the S&W's is the latter sometimes had a higher gloss finish and costs a bit more. The first two years (68-70) they still used the HVA action, aka 1640 action. It was a small ring mauser with long extractor, alloy hinged triggerguards. For cost cutting reasons they switched over to the 1900 action, which did not have the long extractor but did come standard with an adjustable trigger.

In the early 70's Husqvarna opted to cut out their two American distributors and established their own outfit. That is where 'Carl Gustaf' came to be. Their marketing plan flopped and that was pretty much the end of the Husqvarna rifles in the USA.

For a little while Zoli made the rifle with the 1900 action and a few of them made their way to the states. I really don't know if the Howa action is what it morphed into but I kind of doubt it.

Your friend found a very nice rifle and he will be happy he purchased it. If it has a grooved trigger face it has an adjustable trigger (desireable).

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Matt, would you mind if I cut and pasted your post and emailed it to him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my model B S&W in 1969 at Neuman's Gun Shop on Grand River in Detroit for $150. In those years you couldn't give away a bolt gun in Michigan, as autoloaders and leverguns were required to hunt whitetail.. but S&W had forced the gunshop to buy the bolt guns just to get their alotment of S&W revolvers.. Rifle was brand new in box, 20" barrel, shcnable forend, 30-06 and will still shoot less than an inch at 100yds. Intrestingly, the serial # is on the barrel, and does not apear anywhere on the receiver. It is my all-time favorite, go-to deer/elk rifle.. will never get rid of it.. Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
For cost cutting reasons they switched over to the 1900 action, which did not have the long extractor but did come standard with an adjustable trigger.

Matt, is the 1900 the same as what I've posted as a m8000 above? ( I got that from Frank de Haas "Bolt Action Rifles"), these had a Sako type extractor,dovetail shaped locking lugs & button ejector, there're some extra pics on the trademe link that Hamish put up. I've often been confused by the names & numbers for the Husky produced rifles, I guess because they were handled by different wholesalers at various times.
Steve

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Doc;

If the rifle is marked S&W then it should also have a letter stamped on it that denotes the model. Husqvarna made S&W's would be models "A, B, C, D, or E". Model D is a fullstock with straight comb and Model E is a fullstock with a Monte Carlo comb. These were produced in the late 60's and I can tell the actual year of production from the serial number.

I hope this helps. You can contact me directly at sbhva@aol.com

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My friend found a website and found out all he wanted to know via serial number. Thank you

Just the same, I'm going to fwd him your email in case he has questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That HUSQVARNA 1640 has a 20.5" barrel.
Normally I try to build 24" and 26" hunting rifles, but right now I am building (3) Mausers in .308 Win:
a) 19.5" Hart
b) 22" Lothar Walther
c) 22" Lothar Walther

What got me on this short barreled kick was weight.
With short barreled 308s, a 130 gr tipped Barnes triple shock, zeroed at 200 yards, it does not drop down 10" below zero until 330 yards.

I think we all want the same thing, an accurate, powerful, long range rifle, that is less than 8 pounds with a scope and sling.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote