THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone with experience in the Henry Mtns, Utah

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience in the Henry Mtns, Utah
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
My brother just found out he drew a cow Bison tag in the Henry's, anybody out there have any first hand experience?
We will of course be planning several scouting trips this year over there but thought it would be good to here from someone who has hunted it before.
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
Check with Garth Carter @ huntin fool.com

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My brother and I used to be members of the Garth Carter "huntin Fool" thing but have both dropped it. Seems to us that some of his information and "help" is just too "canned" anymore.
I'm looking for real people with real experiences in the Henry's.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which hunt did he draw? (I believe there are 4 cow hunts there this year)

The Henry Mtns can be a very difficult hunt. We have hunted the Buffalo down there are few times and I am always amazed how wild and driven they are. You will be hunting them in cedars/sage flats and rolling hills. They will also be in the highest nastiest country you have ever seen. Have you ever seen a buffalo cruising the rock fields above timberline at 11,500 feet? 1,500 pound black mountain goats, that is what they remind me of.

The buffalo, once they get moving can cover more country than I care to think about. If they are pushed then 20 miles in daylight can be an easy movement for them. As such, it is hard to place them in a given spot each day. Without pressure they only move a mile or two a day and usually stay in the same general area.

My Father-In-Law shot a decent bull down there after 4 days of hunting, the first herd he saw. My father had a tag and we hunted 10 days, saw buffalo 4 days, but he never killed one. This can be one of the hardest hunts you will ever go on, where you spend days just looking for a buffalo or you could find one in the middle of the road and be done 15 minutes into the hunt.

Don't forget the camera to photograph the mule deer. They can be as big as your plains mulies.

Let me know which hunt you have and I will give you some educated places to start.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The hunt my brother drew is hunt #15-945.
I didn't have time to look it up but I'm pretty sure he put in for one of the later in the season hunts.
A few places to start our scouting trips would be useful. We have heard pretty much what you said in your other post that it can be quite a hunt and other people luck into them quick.
Neither my brother or I are really lucky but we do well by lots of hours and extra effort.
PM me or e-mail me at
Snellstrom@pcisys.net
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,
15-945 should be the November hunt. My wife drew 15-946, which is the December cow hunt. I know very little about the area, but will probably be asking you for an "in the field" update this fall. Maybe we will run into one another on a scouting trip...?

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I will send both of you a PM in the next few days, when I get a minute.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks MC
Hey llamapacker we should trade some notes when the time comes. You are closer be my brother will hunt before your wife maybe we can help each other out a bit.
Thanks