THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Earlybugle's 2006 Alaska Caribou pictures

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Earlybugle's 2006 Alaska Caribou pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I'll let Earlybugle do the talking, but he killed a whopper caribou in AK. Here are his pics of bou and bullet:

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great looking caribou! Give us some details of the shot and stats on that bullet.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First I need to thank Doc for helping me quickly get to an optimized load for my new .300 RUM this year. If anyone else is glued to Doc's very learned comments on this fine forum you'll know he's a big fan of the Barnes Triple Shock-X. After meeting Doc and trying his suggestions, I'm sold too. I've converted all my hunting loads over to this bullet as it's the most accurate hadloaded round I've EVER fired in my rifles. (can you say half inch groups at eye-popping velocites?)

Anyway.. about the hunt.

I just got back from a 2 week unguided fly-in/drop hunt to the Alaskan Interior. My primary goal was to tip over a trophy AY Moose. The area I hunted is near Delta Junction, where there is a slim chance for a decent bull caribou, but I wasn't expecting to even get a shot; maybe a wolf, hopefully a moose, but not likely a decent caribou bull.

To make a long story shorter, I saw some very nice bull moose, but none that I could get a shot at. Yet one morning I spotted a lone caribou crest a ridge at a steady walk, quartering away, at nearly 400 yards. Realizing I couldn't risk that kind of a shot at that distance, I dropped my pack with my hunting partner and sprinted after him across the (%^*&#) muskeg in hopes I could close the distance.

Twice during the chase I has nearly lost hope of getting close, but I finally cut him off and at a distance of about 120 yards I was able to put a round in him - chase over. From where he sat at the start of my chase, my hunting partner laser-ranged me at over 400 yards! (I'm thinking that's not too bad for a 47 year old ex-jock!)

After catching my breath (minutes later) I took stock and realized I'd taken a nicer bull than I originally thought.

Another shock came when I recovered the 180 gr. Barnes TSX that had shattered the upper leg bone. I weighed it when I got home and it weighed 170.0 gr! That's exactly why I (and Doc) shoot them - half inch groups at 3450 fps and still they retain almost 95% original weight after breaking bone.

By the way, my partner also took an outstanding bull caribou AND a fantastic male wolf that was colored the rare "blue" phase. Both were taken with a .300 RUM as well ... But I'll let him tell the story and post pics.

Five days later I'm fully healed, recharged, and already dreaming of my next trip north! - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, and what an excellent hunt!

I'd love a caribou like that.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice 'bou!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice 'bou.. gotta do that hunt sometime real soon.. just looks like too much fun!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,
Who's quote is it that you show in your signature/tag line? It's terrific!

Thanks to you all for your kind comments. - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Earlybugle, very nice bou. beer

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote