THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Another bear saved by spray story hunter injuried.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another bear saved by spray story hunter injuried.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The spray worked as intended and the bear was saved. Full story and pictures at the link.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...-hunter-injured.html

A hunter who was tracking a wounded elk was attacked by a grizzly. The bear chomped on his hand, then retreated. The hunter had a rifle, but chose to use bear spray instead. He got ready for the bear with the bear spray.

The bear came back.

The hunter sprayed the bear and himself. The bear retreated.

The bear came back. The bear spray was empty. They hunter threw the empty can at the bear. The bear retreated.

Having expended the potential for bear spray defense, the hunter readied his rifle.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
BS

The bear spray DID NOT WORK - he got attacked.

See attached link. Story not 100% accurate, but close. The guy in the article was hunting with me a week later and I got all the details, like another bear charging him and F&G the next day in the same spot and F&G pulling their weapons and shooting to scare the bear versus their bear spray.

http://www.codyenterprise.com/...dc-cb05735799f6.html

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Bear spray is nearly 100% effective in turning a bear if you hit it in the face.

The effect only lasts for seconds though. Seems everyone thinks the bear is supposed to be permanently pacified once it has been sprayed. This is simply not true. Gtfo after you spray or get your rifle cause your can is now empty.

If you spray at all you will most likely get some too. This I have done. I sprayed downwind but it still gassed my son and I out.

People who shoot bears in defense with a firearm get mauled 50% of the time. I carry both spray and a firearm at times. I figure the spray is best for getting a bear off someone where it may not be safe to try shooting.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
People who shoot bears in defense with a firearm get mauled 50% of the time

I think you need to rethink where you are getting your statists from.

Most of those studies have been discredited as being biased against firearms and pro spray.

They have not and do not use the same standard for what is or is not a save.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bear spray DID NOT WORK - he got attacked

My point is it did exactly what spray is suppose to do that is save the bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"We do not know how Joe Kiedrowski was carrying his rifle, or how he was carrying the bear spray. He did not use either in the initial attack."

Austin Hunter---Note that final sentence above!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Most of those studies have been discredited as being biased against firearms and pro spray.

This was from a lot of reading many years ago. Now they say its almost 100% chance of mauling if you shoot the bear. Now that is just B.S.

I know five people who have had to shoot bears to save their skin and none were mauled.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know five people who have had to shoot bears to save their skin and none were mauled.

The anti hunting, anti firearms groups has been working very hard with false studies and false theories.

To put hunting and firearms into a bad light.

To destroy one use of firearms is to free them up to attack another.

If you don't need firearms for self defense. Then you out law hunting then you don't need firearms at all.

Anti hunters and anti firearms groups work hand and hand to destroy.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

bsflag
Simply not true. Your so called statistics are what's biased. You clearly are on some kind of weird vendetta in an attempt to make your point.

cuckoo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2803 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
quote:

bsflag
Simply not true. Your so called statistics are what's biased. You clearly are on some kind of weird vendetta in an attempt to make your point.

cuckoo

Feel free to prove me wrong you have not set forth any thing concrete to do so.

Then you better take a closer look at the biased of the spray proponents also.

When they start using equal standards for firearms and spray in their studies. I might believe you.

If you don't think that with some of them there is an anti hunting, anti firearms agenda to their studies you haven't looked close enough at them.

Spray is what it is and firearms are what they are. Just don't spread lies through incomplete and biased research.

Feel free to add to the below list with any failures that you know about.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...pistol-failures.html

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Good link pdog shooter.

More recent examples as well.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went through Law Enforcement academy, the deal was, if you were going to carry pepper spray, you had to get sprayed in the face with it so you would know what it was and what it wasn't (thank God they didn't use the same logic when it came to firearms!). One of my classmates was a big ol boy - and when he got sprayed, he just blinked and said - "Is that it." No effects whatsoever... About 30 minutes later, he was incapacitated.

That helps inform my opinion - while most folks (and bears) will have an immediate reaction from spray - there are a percentage that, for whatever reason, may not suffer effects of it.

I haven't run across any test subjects that didn't react to chemically propelled metallic projectiles introduced to their anatomy the same way (barring a chemically altered state).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
Good link pdog shooter.

More recent examples as well.

There are a lot more bear articles at that sight just search it and you well find them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acer, I was a State Training Officer, one of my duties was use of pepper Spray, Freeze+P. MOST folks were instantly rendered useless. Most civilians hit with it simply drop to the ground screaming. I saw a SO Officer sprayed for 3 seconds 10" from his eyes immediately run 50 yards and empty his handgun into a very small group at ten yards. It never bothered him. It simply does not affect everyone the same and one should have a backup plan B readily available.

Birmingham, Al