New
Find
Notify
Tools

BB Gun on Deer and Elk!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I decided next season I am going to carry a BB Gun during my Elk and Deer seasons....

It will work just as well as the 260 Rem and the 7 x 57 I carried for deer and the 338/06 I carried for Elk season???

How is that you ask????

Well because, the Dept of Fish and Wildlife here in Oregon, have "managed" the deer population and elk population so bad, and the cougar and wolf population so well... that the number of Deer and Elk still left out there to hunt, is getting down to about zero....

Unless you are talking the ones that exist in people's back yards that feed them all the time.... you can spot them real easily.. right on the property with all the NO TRESPASSING AND NO HUNTING SIGNS.. posted on every fence post and tree on the property... and the Yuppie SUVs in the drive way, with some sort of PETA or Democrat bumpersticker on the back of it...

I really think the only reason that the Dept of F&W even bother to sell hunting licenses is that they want the revenue generated annually by the sale of licenses... Licenses doesn't obigate them at all to have game available out there to actually take....after all this state is 'Proudly' a Blue State ( at least proudly up in Portland, Salem and Eugene, and locally in Ashland).... Lefty libs, are against hunting, but are all for revenue, and screwing with conservatives, and promoting the existance of cougars and wolves....

so they have the neo cons about where they want us....

So I will hunt with my BB Gun next year... the ammo is cheaper and the liberals in the DFW will be a lot happier....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you define 'BB gun ' ? Lewis and Clark used an air rifle but it was of large caliber [45 or more ?] and was quite capable of taking a deer !!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Seafire.... My sister lives in Portland (and is definetly a lefty lib)... Drives me nuts but make no mistake I enjoy chatting with her on the phone when it comes to elk season Big Grin... I make sure she knows I'm going through the prep work just to listen to her snivle about shooting bambie (guess she doesn't know what an elk is Roll Eyes)...

At least here in Arizona mountain lions, coyotes and the like are always open season... My concern is the Mexican wolves they've put over in Eastern AZ and Western NM... Probably only a question of time before they make it into my neck of the hunting woods (up by the Grand Canyon)... Hopefully they don't like that type of terrain and climate...

Anyway, I feel for ya dude... Looks like you'll have to find some out of state hunting locations....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you have stated your imtention to use a BB gun I will tell you of my experience using the classic Daisy BB gun on these animals. I do this frequently as a non-lethal means of convincing them to stay away from the house.
First thing is, of course, the range must be close. Anything over 30 or 40 feet is too far. Also, shot placement is key. Head shots are avoided because of the risk of inadvertent eye damage. The most effective shot seems to be centered and low in the rear. Otherwise the high neck shot from the rear seems to work well. The back of the ear shot also gets results.
Other frequent targets are a neighbor's Charlais bulls. On these, there is no doubt the scrotum shot is far and away most effective. A good hit ellicits a low moan and rapid locomotion on the part of the bull. Rapid enough it is seldom I'm able to get in a second shot.
I've yet to make this shot on a bull elk to test it's effectiveness but the time will come and I'm confident the results will be as gratifying.
Anyway, there are some advantages to the use of the BB gun as opposed to the 35 Whelen. As you have already mentioned, cheap ammo is one. Low recoil and noise levels are a couple more. Add to this the certainty that, even with a perfect hit, you will not have to get your hands dirty field dressing the animal, and you can see the BB gun may be the perfect weapon for these animals and others. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
LOL animal .... Excellent Bill....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Seafire your lefty libs must be different than our lefty libs . Even in NDP Sask the game populations are thriving.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is no doubt the scrotum shot is far and away most effective
animal lol dancing

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Since you have stated your imtention to use a BB gun I will tell you of my experience using the classic Daisy BB gun on these animals. I do this frequently as a non-lethal means of convincing them to stay away from the house.
First thing is, of course, the range must be close. Anything over 30 or 40 feet is too far. Also, shot placement is key. Head shots are avoided because of the risk of inadvertent eye damage. The most effective shot seems to be centered and low in the rear. Otherwise the high neck shot from the rear seems to work well. The back of the ear shot also gets results.
Other frequent targets are a neighbor's Charlais bulls. On these, there is no doubt the scrotum shot is far and away most effective. A good hit ellicits a low moan and rapid locomotion on the part of the bull. Rapid enough it is seldom I'm able to get in a second shot.
I've yet to make this shot on a bull elk to test it's effectiveness but the time will come and I'm confident the results will be as gratifying.
Anyway, there are some advantages to the use of the BB gun as opposed to the 35 Whelen. As you have already mentioned, cheap ammo is one. Low recoil and noise levels are a couple more. Add to this the certainty that, even with a perfect hit, you will not have to get your hands dirty field dressing the animal, and you can see the BB gun may be the perfect weapon for these animals and others. Regards, Bill.

See why I love Canucks so much..you are busy sitting down at the bar with your buddies getting stiff, because the snow is 4 ft deer in the parking lot, and it doesn't matter because it is so cold the battery won't turn the motor over anyway....

so you can sit in the bar with your buddies by a warm crackling fire and come up with answers to puzzles like this!

See, it doesn't get any better than this, unless it is hunting season mind you, or you are lucky enough to be married to Rachel Hunter...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire I have decided that I'm probally not even going to get big game tags next year. The deer populations around here are pretty much shot, haven't seen even one elk ALL YEAR and less than 20 antelope. The coyote poputation id thru the roof, cougars are way up and the local government trapper has just about exterminated the pig's, rancher's complaining. The land owner preference crap is just that. Get for sure tags then close off or lease the property, get crop damage tags and again, same thing. Makes me wonder how long befor another increase in draw fee's and licence and tag's fee's here as the big game is getting scarce. Not all of it of course, I understand we really did get some goats in the gorge.

I guess I could do what I did this year. Don't draw a tag to hunt at home so drive 150 miles to hunt the valley. I think our tags here are reserved for Willamette Valley and out of state resident's!

Welcome to Oregon and have a nice day!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

In 1961 I was 10 years old and shot a horse in the midsection, out standing in his field, with a Daisy modlel 25 BB gun at a range of 75 ~ 100 feet.

The horse's response was to leap in the air, return to the ground landing on the feet, and then to remain motionless as before.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Fischer:
seafire I have decided that I'm probally not even going to get big game tags next year. The deer populations around here are pretty much shot, haven't seen even one elk ALL YEAR and less than 20 antelope. The coyote poputation id thru the roof, cougars are way up and the local government trapper has just about exterminated the pig's, rancher's complaining. The land owner preference crap is just that. Get for sure tags then close off or lease the property, get crop damage tags and again, same thing. Makes me wonder how long befor another increase in draw fee's and licence and tag's fee's here as the big game is getting scarce. Not all of it of course, I understand we really did get some goats in the gorge.

I guess I could do what I did this year. Don't draw a tag to hunt at home so drive 150 miles to hunt the valley. I think our tags here are reserved for Willamette Valley and out of state resident's!

Welcome to Oregon and have a nice day!

Yeah Don, and the Buttheads in F & W tell us about all the deer and elk herds are just brimming over... as you say, the Willamette Valley ( Portland, Salem and Eugene.. the Democrat part of the state) gets all the good stuff and the rest of the state gets stuck with CRAP... so what else is new????

They need us for our tax dollar so that they can create their own utopia here in Oregon and then the rest of us can kiss their asses until they need more money out of our wallets...

it is a case of the tail wagging the dog....

Is Idaho any better? do you go over and hunt there at all???

I scouted the Snake River Canyon a few years ago, when I got a draw tag for deer up in Imnaha... It was spectacular and I saw a lot of deer, but few bucks...the scenary was worth the trip...

But come hunting season, I decided not to go, as it was 1350 miles round trip for me, and I would have never been outside the state of Oregon during the entire thing....

I also hunted Whitehorse unit one year.. that was spectacular scenary as well... but as one of the locals told me, he bet they issued 3 times as many tags in the zone as there were Mule Deer bucks...

Funny, some guy did come running up the dirt road in a Dodge Diesel pickup and saw me coming back across the field.. he motioned me over frantically, so I picked up my pace...

When I got to his truck, he asked me if I had an Idaho tag or an Oregon tag, I told him Oregon..this road is literally running down the state line..he told me he had seen two big bucks that were on the Oregon side grazing a mile up the road....

So I jumped in my 4 Runner and went to the spot he said, and sure enough there were two big bucks just grazing there....

Except now, they had wandered to the Idaho side of the road, and were standing about 100 yds, broadside of me.....

Just like the guy who told me about them, I am sure if we had of taken the shot, you know some game warden would have been hiding in the brush taking a dump.....

so all I did was watch them graze in my binocs, and wished the guy with the Idaho tag had come back, which he never did...

oh well, that is why they call it hunting and not shooting...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Daisey model 25... I had one once. Mom took it away after I shot my brother in the ass with it when I was 11. Ended up with a Champion 99 BB gun and still have it 30 yrs. later.I favor my Intimidator paintball gun w/ Halo hopper and smartparts at 20 shots per second for runnin' stuff outa the yard.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote