New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunts...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, I've got my guided hunt in 2011 pretty well planned out and underway, just have to wait for the draw. Now, I'm starting to look around for 2012. dancing

So, I think I would like to do an elk hunt next, where should I look? I'd like to go somewhere that I could draw a tag and have a decent chance at getting a shot at a bull. I'd like to keep the cost of the hunt around $3000-$4000 (just the hunt), so where would you guys go and who would you hunt with? I'd also like to have a pretty good chance at drawing a tag, and I know that's a lot to ask for, but I'm in the very beginning of my preliminary planning stages, so excuse my ignorance. wave

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that money and getting a tag Colorado is the first place to come to mind.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty tough to find a good elk hunt for that much $$ today.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was thinking that when I started looking around, too, but there are a few hunts in that range out there, even have a guide in mind now, just wanted to see what is out there, really. I wanted to look for a caribou hunt in that price range, wow have those hunts skyrocketed since I last looked at them! Most of the hunts in Quebec that I've seen are in the 6K range, which I will eventually do, but wow, the sticker shock hit me when I first went to look at them.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Justin, I have a outfitter in Montana that would fall in that range. Check out my website, it's a pretty cool hunt on horseback, you can expect elk in the 270-320 range. Non-resident draw is looking close to 100%.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Justin, I know an outfitter in Colorado that falls in that range, and has been in the business for about 40 years.

Don't know how easy it would be to get a booking with him, looking for a 2012 hunt he might be able to fit you in.

PM me if you want more info.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Thanks, someone reccomended you to me, so I will keep in touch. Will you be at the Eastern Sportsmen's show? I'll be there this weekend, I may only make it to the show on Sat., though.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Justin, no I will not be attending, feel free to contact me at any time. I'm happy to say at the SCI show I picked up a outfitter in Alberta and Manitoba. Let me know if I can be any help.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have a long time outfitter in Wyoming who offers elk at $4750 and had 100% draw on bull tags for 2010. He normally has extra tags as well (they are available in July). It's a 6 day hunt, 7 days total in a wilderness area and on horse back. Rifle season runs from Sept 20 to Oct 31. You would very much enjoy this outfitter and the hunt.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A $4000 hunt ends up with a total cost around $6500 by the time you figure travel expense, license, tips, and preparation. They have priced me right out of big game hunting.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that much and a little more, you can go to Africa and have a hell of alot more fun and trophies. Don 't get elk prices?

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guided thats tough, but, you can probably find what you want in WY or CO. For a self guided hunt, if planned out right, you can do CO for a lot less. Its not 100%, but its the journey and not the destination that makes memories.

I can't recall the name off hand, but there is a place near Lyons, CO that offers elk hunts around that price, and for about 25% more you could throw in a bison hunt as well.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Call Tony Piscopo in Montana. His elk area is one of the only areas where the Feds killed off a huge majority of elk. He has goodbulls and it is a quality outfit at a very reasonable rate. He also has some incredible Private Land late Nov Muley hunts, I booked one and am looking forward to rutting muleys.

Continental Divide Outfitters
1216 Nordheim Lane
Corvalllis, Montana 59828

Posts: 21 | Location: Alaska Peninsula | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I said the feds killed elk, dah, I meant wolves. What a moronic statement!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21 | Location: Alaska Peninsula | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Frank, that's great to hear, I am working for Tony and it's nice to hear good things about him. He is a great person, we are really excited about our new Mule deer area.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

www.blueskieshunting.com

1-402-689-2024