THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting Wyoming and Montana in May - we shot moose, bison, elk, mule deer...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Wyoming and Montana in May - we shot moose, bison, elk, mule deer...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
...with our cameras of course!

Sorry to get anyone's panties in a wad and raise your heart rate with that title, but I just thought I'd share some pictures with those of you who don't frequent the varmint section much.

A while back, I asked for suggestions on the varmint forum for a road trip though my favorite states during the off-season.

(original post here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...5411043/m/9041000031 )

Here's a few shots that the locals are lucky enough to enjoy when the rest of us aren't there.

Ask questions, comment, or just have a look. But most of all, enjoy some beautiful scenery and creatures.

==========================
My camera.

Jenny Lake, Grand Tetons

You gotta love the name "Beaver Dick"

I like it when there is no gun counter or pushy salesman to get in the way:

Reloading section at WALMART! Cody, Wy.

The famous Chadwick Ram. As mentioned above, it was next to my favorite piece in the whole museum... Teddy Roosevelt's 1895!

My buddy's camera:

Asking the prairie dog gods for forgiveness. Wink

To whomever owns this ranch... I AM A POOR JEALOUS BASTARD AND YOU SHOULD ADOPT ME!

Despite the muddy runoff, we wer still able to catch fish even on the big waters. Best part... we were the only ones in sight the whole damn time!

450 Bushmaster "Bear Spray"

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pics. Thx for sharing.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Considering I grew up in both those places, I would be very proud to have taken any of those photos. Very nice.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Simply fantastic photography. Thank you very much for the post.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenati,

Outstanding photography. Please give us some technical particulars-camera, lens/es, post editing etc. We are hoping to be in Wyoming in October for an antelope hunt and your photos just served to increase the anticipation. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great roadtrip.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That reminded me of a family trip to SD, WY, MT, Yellowstone, etc. June 13-21 2006, and it was fantastic. Excellent photo's, thanks for posting them up.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I have been waiting with baited breath!!!!!! Smiler I waited and waited, on the front porch, beer in hand to make the emergency beer run! Mad After the third night of sitting on the porch, my wife covered me with a blanket. The fifth night, "Honey you need to give it up, and come in and eat something, and take a shower, they arn't going to show"! " Besides sweetheart, you drank all their beer"! So I gave it up, staggered in, showered, and called my boss asking for my job back, maybe you guys will stop next time? Frowner Glad you had a great trip.

The ranch you spoke of is called the Switch Back Ranch, access is tough, fky in, drive up a dozen switch backs from the bottom of the Clarks Fork via quad or fearless 4x4 driver, or in summer drive in from the Beartooth Highway.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
"Besides sweetheart, you drank all their beer"! So I gave it up, staggered in, showered, and called my boss asking for my job back...

Baaaahahahaha!! I sure appreciate you dedication. Luckily, we bought enough Bitch Creek to get us through. As they say, you never want to be caught up Bitch Creek without a paddle.

Thanks for the info on the ranch. I must have stood there salivating for 10 minutes overlooking it at that turnout.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

-------------------
To all-

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I'm kinda "techy" too, so here are all the details on equipment:

Mine:
Canon 20D camera body
16-35mm f/2.8L II
24-105mm f/4.0L IS
70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Extender EF 2x II

My buddy's:
Canon 7D body
16-35mm f/2.8
50mm f1.4
28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

The video quality from the 7D is PHENOMENAL! I've never seen anything like it. I'll post the prairie dog video as soon as I figure out how to shrink it down. You'd be blown away (pun intended) if you could see the Blue Ray version.

===============
Post-Processing
===============

-Minor tweaks to color or contrast were done in Photoshop CS3 for a few

-B&W were shot either on the camera or converted using the "Silver Efex Pro" plug-in in Photoshop CS3

-The HDR photos were done using Photomatix Pro3

That's about it!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was lucky enough to be on the job in 1995 when we tore down every building on the switchback ranch and built it new.
there are 29 switchbacks going up the canyon,
you can go up the first 3 forward and from then on its pull up one and back up the next.
lots of great pictures and looks like a good time was had.
why did you keep the little fish?
sounds like you thought i was pulling your
leg about the anthills!!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
No kiddin'! Man, that sounds like a hell of a job. I'd like to hear more about it.

I bet there are some fish in the remote holes of that canyon that can really pull some drag out. I'd love to give that a go some day.

What would you say is the best hunt they do out of that ranch? (not that I could afford a hunt like that). Elk? Deer? Goat? Bighorns?

Why'd we keep the little ones? We were hungry! After about 4 days of mountain house meals, we were ready for some MEAT. Slathered in butter and cooked in foil in the coals of the fire... doesn't get any better than that!

Yep, I thought you were having some fun with me about the ant hills. Haha!

You're a lucky man Ravenr to be living in such a wonderful part of the world. If my wife wasn't such a warm-blooded-flat-lander I'd have my sorry ass back to the mountains in a heartbeat. Wyoming would be #1 on my list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photos!!

Looks like one helluva trip.

The boiling mud photo (2nd one) is one of the best pics I've seen in a while. Nice job capturing that snapshot!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was just funnin you about the fish
the goats would be the best at the ranch
if you could draw the tag.300/1 odds
glad to hear you really enjoyed yourselves
and again you took some GREAT photos

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you say is the best hunt they do out of that ranch? (not that I could afford a hunt like that). Elk? Deer? Goat? Bighorns?

You can drive or ride in and hunt all you want. They only own a small narrow strip of land. Like two 80 acre pacels end to end. Part of the runway is actually on federal land. I have hunted elk, both bow and rifle, above there, it isn't nothing like it used to be. Also goat hunted all around the ranch. I would say goat hunting is probably the best hunting now days. Elk and deer are scarce and only seen sheep one time. Best hunting would be grizzly bear or wolves! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like adventure. I'm jealous. Great pictures, reminds me of my trip through Wyoming 3 Mays ago.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
...with our cameras of course!

Some of those black and white files are just begging for a laser and a sheet of anodized aluminum...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photographs, thanks for sharing. I especially like your black and white images, those are very well done. This reminds me of a trip I took my son on when he was 7 years old, only we went in late October to many of the same places.

Small point of informaiton, not to rain on your parade, but just point out. That is not the Chadwick Ram. That is a bighorn, and the Chadwick ram is a Stone Sheep. It's one hell of a bighorn, though.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You picked a great time to be there.Nice pics!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great photos! I love the rocky mountain states!

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
What everyone else has said.

Wink

Thanks for sharing. Very cool stuff.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote