New
Find
Notify
Tools

kids and hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My youngest son has tagged along with me several times while I've been hunting. He has always been interested in the great outdoors, hiking, skiing, fishing and shooting. Started him with a little .22 Ruger, which he handles pretty well. Last winter he tried my 30 year old 6mm Remington at the range.

I found out that the full size stock was too long, and the recoil & muzzle blast were a bit disconcerting for him. By the time his 13th birthday rolled around in the spring, the rifle was in a little Remington "youth" stock which I picked up used, and had worked up some pretty mild, but accurate handloads. He was very pleased to get my old rifle as his first rifle.

I wanted a load that would expand on deer even at reduced velocity, so I turned to Nosler's 95 grain Ballistic Tip, and loaded it over a reduced charge of Varget for about 2750 fps. Very little in the way of muzzle blast or recoil with this load, and he became quite accurate with it, at least from prone.

We went through the Hunter Safety course together. He did real well. Purchased our licenses and put in for tags - he was drawn for a special "youth hunt" tag that allowed him to take "any deer" during the regular season in our hunting area.

We got out to the range several times and his gun handling skills rose considerably. Opening morning found us sitting at the edge of a field, but no deer to be found. We hunted the opening weekend, and the second weekend. John made some stalks, wore himself out and learned to be a hunter. He missed a few shots at deer. He was learning the whole time. Eventually, on the morning of the last day of the season, we spotted a herd of doe about a half mile away. We chose a route that would keep us out of sight and stalked closer. They moved off a bit, but we eventually got to within about 300 yards. He wanted to get closer, but we ran out of cover in short order. The rangefinder read 274 yards. John set his rifle up on the bipod and cranked up the variable Leupold to 9x. As the rifle was sighted-in at 100 yards, I told him to hold high on the back of his deer, and to shoot when ready. I watched though my own scope. He shot, the doe crumpled and slid down the hill. She looked hard hit to me.

He quickly chambered another round, and we eased forward, ready to finish her if she wasn't down. John found his doe in a small ravine, about 20 yards down from where she was when shot. She had stumbled and fallen down the hill. I pulled her out of the ravine and congratulated him on a fine job of shooting. After the photo session he helped me dress the deer and get her to the truck.

While field dressing the doe, I found that John's bullet had hit the heart, a lung, and broken the offside leg on exit. Not bad for a 95 grain bullet at 274 yards!

He's a pretty proud little fellow, and I'm pretty pleased with him and his safe and ethical behavior through four days of hunting. Last night we had venison chili, his deer fed our family. He was again, very proud. I did what I could to ensure his success. He's no stranger to the woods. Started marksmanship training with a .22 rimfire. I gave him my own first centerfire rifle, appropriately downsized for the lad with a shorter than normal stock. Even developed handloads that were easy on him, but still effective on deer. Took him to an area where we'd be sure to find game, and put him in for a tag that would allow him to shoot any deer, not have to wait for a 3 point buck like the rest of us. I did everything I could to get the little fellow ready, and he did fine. Most important, John truly enjoyed his hunting experience and wants to go out this winter for coyotes!

If you aren't taking kids hunting - get out there and do it!

Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

My daughter is 6, my son is 3. This year I killed a very nice buck and a decent bull but I would trade it all for a story like yours down the road.
I have taken sons of friends for their first animal and have helped in the learing process of my nephews, but I have a model 600 6mm Remington waiting until one of my kids get the calling.

Thanks for sharing and congratulate your son. How old is he?

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great story and the way to keep the out doors culture alive. My 12 year old goes out tomorrow. He had a chance last year, ut couldn't find the doe in his scope right at dark. Hope I have a similar story next week.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks for posting. You two will remember this hunt for many hears to come. My oldest is 4 and my youngest is 1. So I have a few years before they take their first. My oldest already has the "hunting" bug having already helped process 2 deer and 4 antelope. We see an animal in the woods and he wants me to shoot it so he can eat it. Can't wait until the day I have a story like yours.

I did help my nephew take his first deer 2 years ago he was 13 then. Made a nice 200 yard shot on a doe. Last year his grades were not good enough but this year I helped him stalk within 150 yards of a nice medium sized 8 point. Now I just have to teach him how to sharpen a knife.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That grear congrats to you both!

Posts: 21 | Location: Colorado! | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
It's good to hear about kids getting into hunting. This will be my daughters first year hunting deer, I'm even taking her out of school next Wed. for the opener. She's been going with me for a few years, and I'm glad to have a new hunting partner. The only regret I have is that she made one damn fine birddog.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote