THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Bobcat taking down bighorn sheep ewe pic

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobcat taking down bighorn sheep ewe pic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a pic from Leon Lesicka taken near Brawley CA while working for Desert Wildlife Unlimited (DWU). Leon said they were flying a survey of the bighorn sheep when they saw this bobcat attack this ewe. He said they tried to scare off the bobcat with the helo but the bobcat wasn't give up his lunch.

-

-

[ 06-23-2003, 03:24: Message edited by: spectr17 ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small sheep or one big cat.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen some big Bobcats over the years but nothing in this cat's class!

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome shots! But "they tried to scare the cat away with the helo"? Huh? Did I read that right?

These are members of an organization called Desert Wildlife Unlimited? More appropriate perhaps is Interventionist Clowns Unlimited. Unbelievable.

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lhonda,

Several of our sheep herds are on the brink of disappearng out here in AZ and CA due to the cougars and upper respiratory disease. The situation is so dire that depradation hunters sleep near the sheep and pop any cougars that get within a certain distance.

Leon is a hunter and DWU has put in countless hours working with DFG to keep the guzzlers working and filled. He is over 70 years old and just last week he told me he made his guzzler check run which also is his game camera run to over 20 cameras in the mountains. The run took over 12 hours in some of the bumpiest terrain.

Leon also works with the DFG to do the sheep studies and counts.

The helo Leon was in was a DFG helo and they are just trying to give the sheep a chance to recover. Knowing what I know about the sheep situation I would have done the same.

I won't go into the pheasant and dove work Leon has done in SoCal. That would take several pages of writing.

[ 06-26-2003, 09:24: Message edited by: spectr17 ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah. It would appear I spoke too soon. Still I feel it's a tricky business when man begins to mess with natural life cycles. But per usual, I imagine it's in no small part man's actions that has seen the sheep populations come to where they are now.

Anyway, I recant my earlier statement in light of the facts (if that's indeed what they are). Ignorance at work yet again! [Smile] Thanks for the enlightenment.

Leighton

[ 06-23-2003, 01:15: Message edited by: lhonda ]

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awsome pictures. That cat had to go 50-60lbs. Our Bobcats only go up to 30.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a bobcat. Cougar with an ear job. [Big Grin]
s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ihonda,

Just to back up spectre, what he say's is true. The Desert Sheep are having a critical time of it here with a lot of work going into saving them. Normally my response to this would have been the same as your first one was, but in this case the pilot's did the right thing.

And damn, thats a big bobcat! [Eek!]

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool pics! One big bobcat! You can either have lots of preditors or lots of game. You can't have both!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, sheep security officer-- sounds like a great job!

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That is a big bobcat.

A friend of mine is the Govt. Hunter with Wildlife Services for ******** County in New Mexico. Two years ago they had two mountain lions going through their big horn sheep herd which your(if you are American) and my tax dollars paid to introduce there. The Federal and the State governments started pissing on each other about jurisdiction and would not let him go in and take out the lions. Over two-thirds of the herd was wiped out. I still get hacked off whenever anyone mentions cats and big horn sheep! Your tax dollars at work.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LOL Awsome picture i thought it was a caracal with those ear tuft hehe. Never understand hunting to it's fullest if you dont watch the wild hunters and take in what they have to share.

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
This particular cat is big and I think has alot of experience with killing deer sized game with the way it's killing the ewe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For people who live east of the Mississippi, Cats of any type are being allowed to kill off a lot of game in the Western USA.

Just because a lot of Yuppies think that "The Lion King" is an accurate example of the animal world. As far as the balance of nature, these Cats are totally disproportionate. They are wiping out lesser animals at an alarming rate, and are actually overextending their range so badly, that when they get near any people populations, their diets change and consist of a lot of domestic pets, poodles & cats.

Then the same people want to re introduct Wolves back into the same area. They don't want a hunter "shooting Bambi" but instead they want to introduce and protect animals that will wipe out the Deer populations.

At Hart Mountain Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, which is for Antelope, the entire offspring for a season was killed, by other animals. Coyotes, hawks and eagles, with I am sure the Bobcats that were around. Where is the animal protection in that. It only gives extinction.

In Northern California, I have seen Bobcats that big, if not bigger. Especially around Goose Lake on the Calif/Oregon border. It just shows how well they are eating in their environments.
Not long ago I saw one that crossed the highway in front of me, and sprinting for the lake shore, that was about the size of a Large Labrador Retriever. I had to slam on the brakes not to hit it. Never saw one anywhere near that size until in the last few years.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a cat! Just recently saw this pic when i did a search. While i am a sheep lover and hopefully future hunter, i sure wish i had that cat in my trophy room. Hes a pig!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, what is the difference between a Lynx and a Bobcat?? I thought there was a difference, but maybe I'm wrong? The cat on those (fantastic) pictures looks more like a Lynx to me (or what I believed was a Lynx, as opposed to a Bobcat).
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see the pics. [Confused] Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one big pussy.

Forgive an ignorant question, please. But do Bobcats and Lynx ever crossbreed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO, a bobcat and lynx are similar cats that share the same "role" within their respective habitats; the lynx is only found in the Northernmost states of the US and Canada, while the bobcat is found everywhere else. I believe that the only major differences are that the lynx has the large-padded feet, which act as a natural snowshoe, to allow for the lynx to hunt and survive in the snowy northern climes. As to the size differences, I really don't know, but I've seen bobcats in Northern California, where I live, that are the size of a midsize dog. They are a neat animal, that should nevertheless be shot (hunted) whenever they are encountered in the wild, as they really do a number on other animals when they are as populous as they are here.

Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Lynx are greyish with a short grey tail, and a black tip. Lynx go to about 40lbs or so. the feet are big, and they have lengthy ear tuffs..

Bobcats are usually spotted. they go about 35lbs , max. They don't have the long ear tuffs like lynx, and they are usually browner, or 'buff.'

Nice pics

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good pictures.

I am fairly certain that picture is of a lamb. Pretty much all ewes have very noticable horns. The desert sheep I have seen are smaller in body than Rocky Mountain bighorns, but proportionaly they have large horns. The sheep in the picture is probably a lamb which changes the perpective on the size of that cat.

quote:
lhonda: Still I feel it's a tricky business when man begins to mess with natural life cycles.
Do you mean like hunting them, taking away habitat or trying to help them?
Don't kid yourself. Man has centuries of messing with natural life cycles. It has only been in the last 50 years or so we have actually tried to mess with them in a positive way to attempt to maintain a balance.

My hat goes off to folks like Leon. Tell em to keep up the good work.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to be argumentative but it matters to me little about how much this particular individual is putting into this program to keep them safe. They are part of nature and subject to the ups and downs that come with the harshness of survival in the wilderness. It makes no more sense to me to shoot an prowling cougar than it would be to shoot a sheep to help the cougar get an easier meal. If they are on the brink there are probably a lot more reasons than those natural ones and their position on the food chain. We can do what we can but I don't see intervention in the struggle of life as making any sense at all. My two bits worth.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Managment of some form is the only answer (unless getting rid of man is an option). As an example, here in Colorado the first ground that get bought up and developed is typically winter ground for elk and deer. Elk and deer cannot live with grasses, forbes and shrubs that exist in Winter ground. Many of their predators either hibernate or could eat trash in the winter time. Without a predator management policy, there would be no big game hunting.

Sound managment plans are the first line of defense against development and the other ways we have negative impact on animals. If it were as simple as letting all the animals do their thing without any interference, then why have hunting seasons? The fact is, we are the only ones in a position to try and manage it all effectively.

In the example of natural sheep, their biggest threat is not predation - it is disease. The disease comes from domestic sheep and cattle which were brought when the first Europeans showed up. Since domestic sheep and cattle have been introduced to this continent sheep populations had steadily declined until managment practices were put into place and now they tend to be on the upswing. We (man) screwed it up, and it should be up to us to fix it.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not trying to be argumentative but it matters to me little about how much this particular individual is putting into this program to keep them safe. They are part of nature and subject to the ups and downs that come with the harshness of survival in the wilderness. It makes no more sense to me to shoot an prowling cougar than it would be to shoot a sheep to help the cougar get an easier meal.
It gets a bit more complicated here in CA. Since we can no longer hunt cougars due to the AR whackjobs the cougar populations are soaring here. Instead of chasing the declining deer herds the cougars are lay up in the traditional lambing areas for easy pickings. Add in some respiratory disease and pretty soon you have whole herds of sheep disappearing.

The cougars have even driven the sheep near Palm Springs down out of the mountains onto the golf courses for safety where the sheep became sick from eating the fertilized grass. A fence was put up to keep them up in the mountains where they belong.

Dire measures for sure but it's a last gasp measure to keep the sheep on the mountain ridges where they should be. I enjoy seeing them even though I may never draw a tag here in my lifetime. Our state's mismanagement put the sheep in this hole, a little help out once in awhile isn't going to screw up nature's grand plan I think.

On the pic, I vaguely remember Leon saying it was a young ewe. It's hard to judge the size of the bobcat in the pic. Here is a pic of a little goober I got near the Virgin River AZ of a desert bighorn. About 30 to 40 lbs worth and the size of a whitetail fawn.

-

[ 10-23-2003, 11:41: Message edited by: spectr17 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt that is a monster of a bobcat! But, I have on occasion run into coyotes that look like dogs, wolves (when I lived in Canada) that looked like bears, etc. One year we were hunting up on the Tetsa river in B.C. and somebody had hit a lynx and broken its back. It was just a bit off of a side road & full of fight! I thought it was a lion for a moment! After we ended its suffering, I picked him up; it must have weighed 90 lbs! Certainly no lighter than by Chesapeake Retriever.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It gets a bit more complicated here in CA. Since we can no longer hunt cougars due to the AR whackjobs the cougar populations are soaring here. Instead of chasing the declining deer herds the cougars are lay up in the traditional lambing areas for easy pickings. Add in some respiratory disease and pretty soon you have whole herds of sheep disappearing.

spectre17, I am sorry to say this, but if the majority of voters in California think that they are smarter than the game and fish people, then they are getting what they deserve (want?). When the golfers run the sheep off the golf courses to their deaths in the hills, the cats will start moving in on the population centers. Maybe when the cats start picking off the voters� pets, or, Heaven forbid, children, the voters will get the point. These are the same people who want wolves reintroduced and federally protected in OTHER PEOPLE�S back yards. I have sympathy for the people such as yourself who are opposed to such practices but nevertheless have to live in California, but it�s probably better for the overall cause to the let the sheep get wiped out in California and see what the voters think about that.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, know Leon personally. He has seen hundreds of desert sheep. I've seen pictures of him handling many on various radio telemetry collaring studies. I've seen more than a few myself. That's a young ewe, but it is an adult. Yes, that a big bobcat. I've only seen one bobcat that might have been a bit larger.
Desert sheep must be intensely managed. If they are, they tend to do well enough. We have choice in this. If you want enough sheep to be able to hunt them, you must intensely manage them. All the states I know of that have enough desert sheep to allow hunting only harvest about 2% of their numbers. They are managed on a throphy/maximum numbers basis. Nevada, for example, has been very agressive in this and the results show. California has also done well much of the time often because of hard working, dedicated people like Leon, and the volunteers of Desert Wildlife Unlimited.
Most of the management work I know of revolves around making sure they have enough water, preventing poaching, and, in a few cases, keeping domestic livestock away from them. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a sidebar in either Outdoor Life or Field & Stream this month that characterizes the challenge of restoring California's Bighorn population which they state as about 250 animals. That to get it to the goal of 500 will take 20 years and several million dollars. I think the price per animal was like 100k. Soooo, when you see that bobcat muncing on that ewe it represents, what a trophy elephant hunt???

I for one am glad to see us trying to save bighorn in our state, God knows we piss away much more money on many ridiculous wasteful political pork barrel projects!

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote