posted
Quote:

Are "rifled" shotgun barrels permitted?

Absolutely.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Another famous SHORT hunt by Doc:

Ohio's gun season is over Sunday. I am not much of a gun hunter in Ohio during gun season. I prefer late muzzleloader season but MZLDR's are legal during gun season.

I had to work til 4pm today. I threw some camo and my smoke pole in the truck so I could try and get a doe before I leave in the morning on my western hunt tomorrow.

I got to a new place that I've never hunted before but the landowner says is loaded with deer. I found a nice big tree on the edge of this lush green hay field and waited...I got there and sat down at 445pm (late I know), shot a 175lb doe at 448pm.

Had her gutted and in the truck bed by 510pm.

One of the biggest does I ever shot. She peaked over the hill and walked right at me to about 10 yards. I was tucked under a bunch of briars and other small 5ft high shrubs.

Popped her at 12 yards with a 180 Knight Red Hot sabot over 3 pyrodex pellets. She was slightly quartering to me but more broadside. I hit the onside shoulder square and broke that leg completely. Exit hole was about like a nickel.

She ran 35 yards and died.

This will be my only muzzleloader kill in Ohio this year. I figure, If GOD wanted us to shoot deer with shotguns (as in Ohio), he would have put feathers on their butts.

I've filled 5 Ohio tags so far. ...2 to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a good time, no rifles huh, i would sure have to figure something out as i shoot everything with my 375rum lately. How about handguns?

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You're hunt was 3 minutes? Is that ethical?...

Congrats... Bet she tastes GOOD!!!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I figure, If GOD wanted us to shoot deer with shotguns (as in Ohio), he would have put feathers on their butts.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Hey what muzzle loader do you use? Asking for advice in the muzzle loading room but I keep getting told to buy a Hawken! : )

thanks,

Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, That does sound like a HUGE Doe to me. Congratulations for sure. Do you consider it only luck that put you at that particular spot, or a slight bit of it combined with some good old First-hand Hunting experience in picking set-ups?

That seems like a very close shot with a rifle, or it would be for me. How come you let her get so close? Was she looking at your general position for the majority of her walk toward you? I'm just not sure I could have been "quiet" enough to get the rifle up without her being able to hear my old joints creaking.

Where's the flick??? A 175# Doe is a sure enough Trophy in my neck of the woods.

Best of luck the rest of the Season.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I call having one given to you. It happens to me on rare occasions. That is a monster doe. They do get larger further north but that is a real giant. Merganser

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice story, Doc. Hey my Brother in Law is from Marietta, Oh and he's been hunting all week with his brothers. Towards the end of the week they started joking, if it's brown, take it down and one of them got a coyote.

I don't understand why that state doesn't allow high powered rifles, but at least they have Sunday hunting.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Congratulations! Hey what muzzle loader do you use? Asking for advice in the muzzle loading room but I keep getting told to buy a Hawken! : )

thanks,

Sean

I use a Knight disc rifle, 3 pyrodex pellets, and a 180 Barnes manufactured, Knight branded red hot bullet/sabot. 3 pellets are not necessary but it groups much better than 2.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doc,

You're hunt was 3 minutes? Is that ethical?...

Congrats... Bet she tastes GOOD!!!

$bob$

3 minute hunts are always ethical and time friendly!!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do you consider it only luck that put you at that particular spot, or a slight bit of it combined with some good old First-hand Hunting experience in picking set-ups?

That seems like a very close shot with a rifle, or it would be for me. How come you let her get so close? Was she looking at your general position for the majority of her walk toward you?

I do consider it lucky on the spot I picked as well as time based experience. All hunters recognize, after years of being in the field, what looks like a good setup. I hope anyway.

You're right about how close she was. I didn't let her get so close by choice. Picture this: I shoot left handed, so the rifle was pointing to the right. When she popped over the hill, she was already about 40-ish yards away and heading right to me. I simply couldn't move. She didn't spot me til she was so close. Only after a few stomps and head bobs, she paralleled my position. She put her head right behind a tree just long enough for me to lift the barrel her way. At that moment, when she didn't run off, I knew she was mine. I just waited for a clear shot.

I usually do not take pictures of does. Maybe I should. She was so big that a taxidermist asked for her cape. Her neck was at least 16".

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I don't understand why that state doesn't allow high powered rifles, but at least they have Sunday hunting.

I think it's just a midwest thing. I would like to use a rifle too but it will never happen in Ohio. Sure is funny how I can take out a 300 RUM and load a 200 grain bullet and take it coyote hunting if I want but can't use the same on a deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
what part of ohio you from>?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Cincinnati area.