Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage,tikka, or rem.
 Login/Join

posted
Do you think there really is any difference between the three? I shoot a 223 T3 that I like, but feel it might be a bit lite for 30-06...I seem to hold more steady with a little heavier gun. The savage I know is a solid rifle, especially for the money, but the scope is crap. Of course, I can switch it out.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I you like em' a little heavy try a CZ 550.

Or a new Model 70 Sporter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went looking for a new .30-06 I tried out the Savage, Ruger, Remington, and Tikka. My favorite was the Rem XCR in Stainless Synthetic. Bolt throw was much smoother than even the Tikka and the trigger was adjusted better out of the box than even the accutrigger. Sure the XCR was priced at $800 and I was comparing it to $500 rifles but it was worth the extra $300 IMO.

I wound up finding an old JC Higgins FN action .30-06 and that was what I went with. I really wanted a stainless synthetic rifle but that old rifle just looked better. When I get a chance to hunt AK again though the XCR will be on my short list of rifles to look at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I handled a couple '06 lately. A Howa 1500 and a Ruger 77. Both wore a rubberized green stock (interesting texture). I liked the Howa (a lot actually). The weight was just right for me and had the adjustable trigger. The price eludes me, but I think it was about $100 less than the Ruger.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of those I'd go with Rem.I wouldn't waste the extra money on the pkg Savage.If you go that way get the one without the scope and sling.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of all of the features of all of the rifles but of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Remington. I personally don't like detachable magazines on a hunting rifle and as I recall, the Tika has that. To me, a magazine is just another item to get lost, forget on your way out the door, or malfunction. I know lottsa guys like 'em but I don't.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Tikka T3 (.30'06) and a Savage (300 WSM). The Tikka has the better trigger, they are both very accurate. Thinking about another Tikka T3, in .30'06, for my next trip to Africa and to then let my daughter use w/Reduced Recoil Loads after that.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Tikka T3 for the first time the other day. I liked it, because the stock fit, the weight was good, trigger was light and crisp, and the action was smooth. I just won't buy one for the same price as a Savage 114. I'm told that the price has gone up over the last couple of years. I'm guessing that's because the dollar is weak in Europe(?). I know the price of Beretta shotguns has done the same. Maybe the recession will bring the price back down.

My Savage rifles are an old ('59) 110 and a 116 that I use as switchbarrels to try out different cartridges. I like the 114s, but even dressed up like that they aren't great looking rifles. The last couple of years Savage isn't doing much product development and seems to be busy taking some profits on their out of the box accuracy rep. and the accu-trigger.

The XCR I looked at last fall was really (too)heavy. It might be OK for a Whelen, a 350 Mag., or a SAUM, but I like my standard caliber rifles in the 7.5 lb range. I did pick up a 7600 in 35 Whelen, but I sold my last CDL to get it. Until I happen on a smokin' deal for a 280 Mountain Rifle I'll stick with my pre-1980 700s and my 600 Mohawk. I've been buying a few of Remington's new products (Marlin 336s). My most recent was a stainless 18.5" 35 Rem. Offhand popping of clay pigeons at 50 yards with a pinch of Unique and a 158 gr. SWCs is cheap and a real kick.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote