New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shipping Advice for Antlers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is $100 an extra charge to ship them separate? I brought the antlers from my red stag, shot in Slovakia, home with me on the plane. I just wrapped and taped a couple of magazines and lots of newspapers around the skull (clean and dry of course) and it arrived with all the rest of the baggage in perfect shape. We were a team of hunters and a few more with trophies to bring home used the same method with equal success. We didn't have to pay extra

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shipped a set antlers from Mongloia nd then from Korea to the states. the hose over the tips works great.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I just got back from an elk hunt in AZ. I dropped my antlers off at a taxidermist and had them shipped home. He cooked the skull clean, split them (v shape) , boxed and shipped them Fedex Ground. My total cost was $50. They taped high density foam over all the points then nested them together and boxed them in a heavy box. No filler was used. The box arrived in perfect shape from Fedex 5 days later.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about UPS, but for air cargo shipments, I usually tape (duct tape keeps Alaska held together) cross braces made from willow sticks across the antlers. That provides enough bracing that the skull plate isn't broken by movement of one antler but not the other. Also, I tape pieces of cardboard over all the points. Alaska Airlines doesn't want them being jammed into other cargo.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote