New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Hunting Ballistics question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Help: I have been asked to give a talk on "Deer Hunting Ballistics". Now I am seldom short on "talk" when it come to rifles and bullets, but what can I talk about for an hour, just on Deer?

Please post any topics you think might be interesting.

Thanks

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on the subject but after speaking publicly without being formally trained, I've found the best way to prepare is to know whom you are speaking to. What do they know? How technical do you need to be? Does geography play a part? Range? Climate? Hope it helps it helped me through coaching and other times I have had to speak publicly and I'm just a carpenter. Good Luck Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Terry, Some good advice has already been given regards to approaching the specific audience. I think what you were getting at is, or could be best approached by a method which discusses the History of deer hunting as seen by the weapons used (Ballistics delievered.) As man has become more and more effective a hunter, his weapons have gone from spears to long range scoped rifles. So range to target, power delievered and rapidity of fire characterize some of these changes. Clearly the minimums for ethical harvest/killing power and shot placement shold be a strong portion of the discussion. Good luck.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Matchkings...are they good for deer hunting?

Just pose the question and open up the floor for comments. Should kill an hour pretty quick! Smiler

All kidding aside, I can see your dilemma. What to talk about for an hour that most people wouldn't already know about?? chain and 308Sako are right, thoughk, it would totally depend who you are talking to. Meaningful ballistics for eastern hunters are different than western hunters, novice vs experiences, etc, etc.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matchkings are always a good way to start an argument! My hunting partner flew next to a Sierra ballistician on an out-of-state trophy hunt, and he (Sierra employee) said they do not make a good hunting bullet. OUCH!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
how about comparing the 45/70 and the 25 WSSM as deer cartridges

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ps

this would allow you to discuss cartridge evolution (from 45/70 to 25 wssm)

pros/cons of big/slow vs small/fast

premium bullet evolution to accompany small-fast cartridge development

etc., etc., should take an hour

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
I would think part of any discussion would be "what kills". Many hunters do not understand that oxygen deprivation to the brain (bleeding) or massive shock to the nervous system (a broken neck) are the things that kill. Perhaps you could also get into shot placement and deer anatomy. I was on a hunt recently where some bow hunters had no idea were a deer's heart was.Confused

In terms of actual ballistics, that is a very slippery slope. The moment you say, "Well a minimum of a 30-30" some one can jump up and ask about 44 mag. Red Face

<allen day>
posted
Terry, I don't find that there's a whole lot to talk about concerning deer cartridge ballistics for general hunting. Just about any good rifle/cartridge combination kills them very dead, very fast, so where's the mystery?

I guess the angle I'd work on would be optimum long-range deer hunting ballistics. At least you can assemble some substantial material on that aspect of it that would prove useful.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to see what I have compiled so far, send me an e-mail and I'll attach a copy.
tblauwkamp@superior-sales.com

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're really comfortable with the general topic, one of the best tactics is to have a prepared talk, and then not have to use it.

Begin by telling the audience that you want to make sure that your talk is relevant to them and to their interests, and thus would welcome questions and interruptions at any time--that they shouldn't wait for the end. Then begin your prepped talk, but provide a pause or to, looking up to make it clear that you would welcome some audience participation. Maybe, if they're quiet, come to the natural end of a section of the talk and ask "Any questions?" or "Is everybody with me so far?"

Usually, as soon as the first guy opens up, whether to ask a question or challenge a statement that you made, others will follow. If it's a good crowd, the discussion will take on a life of its own, with you serving as much as moderator and information resource than as lecturer.

Odds are, the audience will find you one of the most interesting speakers that they've had in a while.

I talk to a lot of sportsmans groups on what can be some pretty dull topics (and lets be honest, here, for a lot of casual hunters, ballistics will fall in that category). However, I find that the approach outlined above works well, audiences are generally quite pleased and--best of all--sometimes someone in the crowd teaches me something, instead of the other way around.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitegle:

You hit the nail right on the head. If I can get them talking to me, I've got it made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine you've got your stuff together by now but if you can use visual aids like various cartridges and components they consist of, that might be helpful also. Seems like people enjoy looking at different cartridges. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done some research on the people I am speaking too. They are members of the North American Deer Farmers Asso.

NADEFA, as it is called, has members in 45 states, seven Canadian provinces, Mexico, and three countries outside North America.

They represent over 75,000 animals, made up of Axis, Fallow, Red, Siki, Whitail Deer, and a few Wapiti.

I checked on over 40 web sites of their members, and only ONE even mentioned using a 243 or larger, and only two, mentioned having a bench or target to shoot at before hunting.

This tells me, these folks don't have a clue (or could care less), what gun or bullet a client brings.

Even checked on the Sanctuary and Legends Ranchs here in Michigan, and they don't say a word either. (except bring your Visa card).

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Terry, you won't go wrong with the advice others have given you on this string so far, and I won't rehash what's already been well said.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the advantage one gets simply by practice, practice, practice. Perhaps you could talk about different ways people shoot--what is practical and not practical when it comes to training, etc.

For myself, I can shoot well from a bench, but how often does one have that sort of rest in the field? And in the field, my best shots have come from semi-rested positions where I've taken quick shots (the moment the cross-hairs cover the kill zone). Part of the equation for me is a good trigger that I'm very familiar with.

Lastly, encourage them that the equipment they already have is likely more than adequate; and would a person not, being intimately familiar with one's weapon, shoot much better than simply purchasing something one is unfamiliar with that might have "better capabilites" on paper?

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful discussion!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Terry,

A Couple of things you may want to talk about is BCs and SDs of bullets. It amazes me when I talk to very experienced hunters but, they no nothing of rifle Ballistics. Most hunters just say "Yea that 300 Mag is a flat shootin', hard hittin' son-of-a-gun." They don't even know what BCs or SDs are but, they are very interested in hearing about the ballistics of different rifles and there effective ranges.

Considering your audience is going to be deer farmers, I don't know how interested they'd be in ballistics but, If they are hunters themselves, they'd probably be very interested.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Likely these folks are going to want to hear a recommended list of calibers, and bullets appropriate for the animals they grow. (This is good for red deer size... this is good for Fallows... Etc). The more you know about the animals they raise and tie your discussion to that the more interested they will be. It is likely they are looking for advice on what to tell a client to bring. Shot placement, angle, and what to expect after the shot will also be welcome topics.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, you got a PM from me.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote