New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best State for Resident Hunters
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
Pretend you're 35, single, and you love to hunt and shoot. You're about to graduate with your MBA, and you can choose to live and work in any state in the union. Aside from employment the primary considerations are: ease of access to hunting areas, variety of game, and length of seasons. Deer, antelope, varmints, black bear, and maybe even elk or other larger game would be your quarry. Crossing the border to another hunting rich state might help. Which state is the best for resident hunters?

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I must say that British Columbia has an excellent variety of game to hunt. But, it's not a State.

If access to lot's of public land is considered, plus $25.00 brown bear tags and free Dall Sheep, Mt Goat, and Elk tags, then Alaska is hard to beat. Also it's currently the only place in the US to legally hunt brown bear and wolf.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
My pick goes to MT. 6 weeks of bow season for OTC deer, elk, bear. Followed by 5 weeks of OTC deer and elk and bear. Plus oppertunity to hunt moose, sheep and goat, baring you can get a tag.

Oppertunity exists for anyone for decent sized troupies. Especially elk and whitetails.

Year round varmint hunting with out having to pay for a licence. Millions of acres of public land with great access. One can pretty much find something to hunt year round with little trouble. Leagally hunt birds and big game from the first of September to the middle of January.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did what you did and chose Wyoming, then Texas. Wyoming was the best. I even learned to fish when I wasn't hunting.

Posts: 10218 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montana, hands down

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I would say Northern California. Reason being is the diversity of huntable species, huge amount of public lands, timing and length of the seasons, the fishing and the climate. As well as the proximity to the other Western states.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am kind of in the same boat as you are. I am moving to AK and agree with BW. I will be there in August to look around, but at the end of the year I will most likely be living there.In fact today just tied up one loose end ,two more and I am in AK. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing is for sure, it's "NOT" Colorado. Over the past 20 or 30 years the hunting has gone down hill.

And the only reason you wear "Blaze Orange" is to keep the ATV's and motorcycles from running over you.

Wilderness areas aren't much better. A couple years ago I was setting above a game trail approx 3 mile back in the West Elk Wilderness when two ATV mounted hunters came up the trail. Boy,,, now wasn't that sneeky.

Hope you find a good place,,, and then don't tell anyone.

Good Hunting,
MaBell

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not Oregon or Alaska :::

Oregon just started last year charging ever one for

Clam digging tag's and for Crabing tag's ....... Alaska ran out of game last year and there moving the rest Of the herds to Navada..

The State bird in Alaska is the WhiteSock err the Noseeum

Thay still carrrie off the long hiker now and again.

Oregon has been over run with wild saber tooth guppys.... so forget about swimming or fishing here .. try New York .

I heard tell Texas was a good place for hunting ...

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Man, there's a LOT of factors to influence one's decision.

As for the number of game species and trophy quality of some, it's hard to beat a few states, including Arizona. Heck, for game animals, we have mule & Coues deer, elk, pronghorn, desert & RM sheep, black bear, lion, Merriams turkey, free-ranging buffalo and javelina. Then add the best dove hunting in the country, three species of quail with a season that goes from mid-Oct. into mid-Feb., some waterfowl and lots of bobcats and coyotes, and you have a full menu.

But even us residents get few opportunities to hunt because of our permit system. In other words, other than small game, birds, varmints and just a couple big-game critters, there is not a lot of hunting available over the counter, per se, even for residents. So you might get to hunt any of the big-game species every couple years.

Now, if we could keep out the nonresidents...nevermind; let's not go there.

In reality, though, if I had to choose a place now, it would be either Montana or Wyoming. I would pick Alaska, but the weather and light/dark seasons don't agree with me.

BTW, I'm currently working on a book that is all about AZ hunting. Separate chapters for each big-game species and other chapters devoted to quail, waterfowl, etc. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I'm currently working on a book that is all about AZ hunting.
Great now there goes the hunting in AZ

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancy: Add these tidbits to Ivans post regarding the great state of Montanas Hunting. We have excellent spring Bear Hunting here! I look for shed Whitetail horns while spring Bear Hunting. The Antelope Hunting is also first class! Three weeks ago I counted 550 Antelope in one herd! And this herd was just a couple miles from the Continental Divide here in SW Montana. The Antelope season starts 2 weeks before the Deer, Elk seasons! Hunt em all every year! Montana also offers excellent spring and fall Turkey Hunting. Most areas allow one bird during each of these seasons! I gather shed Mule Deer Horns during the spring Turkey season. Montana has superb Waterfowl and very good Upland Bird Hunting also. Woodland Grouse hunting in places is excellent! Not many Quail in Montana but Pheasant, Sharptails, Hungarians and Sage Grouse abound! You can even apply to Hunt Sand Hill Cranes and Swans! The waterfowl Hunting here is a very underused resource! Also get busy and go make arrangements to Hunt Buffalo around the Park or on pay places. And soon we will be Hunting the now over abundant Wolves! I read in the paper today there are between 700 and 800 Wolves in an area they wanted 325!!!! So a Wolf is on my Montana menu coming real soon I am sure!
And remember all Ivan relayed about Montanas other opportunities!
All this and add to it the worlds best Trout fishing - also a year around activity!
Yes Montana is the answer to your question.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Here's a vote out for South Dakota. Residents of the state currently have the ability to hunt whitetail and mule deer, antelope, elk, bighorn sheep, rocky mountain goat, mountain lion and coyotes as predators. You have some excellent fishing on the Missourri River for walleye. Bird hunters enjoy goose and duck hunting in central the flyway, grouse, turkey and prarie chicken, along with some of the best pheasant shooting areas in the state. Varmit shooters are loved back there, as prarie dogs don't make the ranchers happy. And with almost ~200,000 acres of walk in land available to the public, you are almost always within a short drive to some area. And the cost of living in SD is low - much less than Grayslake (I lived in Lindenhurst for 5 years, working in Deerfield/Riverwoods area). A buddy of mine moved to Sioux Falls from Grayslake just before I moved out here and for the same salary, has enough disposable income for snowmobile, boat and motorcycle that he didn't have in IL.

No FOID cards in SD either

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming, followed by Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota and Colorado in that order. Colorado would rank higher if it weren't for the over population of tree huggers and rich people who have leased up all access to good land. If you have a place to hunt, Colorado is tough to beat for goose hunting. For big game, Wyoming and Montana for sure.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Pottsy,

Yeah, the good hunting and the big elk and pronghorns have been a very closely guarded secret.

We certainly don't want anyone to know something like this was roaming around the Grand Canyon State. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

That is one hell of a pic and pronhorn, beautiful pic. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
slancey,

If you take the weather etc. out of the equation and you can live with that quite easily Alaska really is the place to be. The trick is to not live in the cities. With an MBA I'm sure that there are employment opportunities in almost every small community.

Without worrying about a draw, lottery or any of those things that make hunting a problem I have taken moose, caribou, dall sheep, mountain goat, sitka deer, black bear, brown bear. I can hunt all of these on a yearly basis and in some cases I can take several of each if I choose. I can fish for and expect to catch all 5 varieties of Pacific salmon without fighting a crowd. It just goes on and on!

Now that I have said the above I must admit that I'm moving to Wyoming which ain't that bad. Too much snow here for a retiree!

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I appreciate the responses. They don't surprise me so far. I haven't seen any responses for Idaho. Any feedback, or thoughts about Idaho?
Also, what part of Montana, or Wyoming, or Alaska, would you live?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I see Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Idaho, and Alaska all turning into Colorado's front range. People go to these places because the secret has gotten out about how amazing and fantastic these places are. We're loving these places to death.
As far as the hunting goes, I see all of them either becoming too expensive for a normal Joe to hunt (Alaska is already there for nonresidents), or so restrictive that you can't draw a tag (the rest of the West) due to demand.

It will all be a giant subdivision someday, with the deer eating the landscaping amongst the ranchettes and hobby farms.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted way back in 1979 for MT when I emmigrated here from the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Great hunting,fishing,long seasons, over the counter elk tags,liberal gun laws,etc.
Only fly in the ointment.......what will you do for a job?? A LOUSY State for employment. I very strongly suggest you consider your employment opportunities as well.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancey, I'll vote for Idaho. General seasons for Elk, Mule deer, whitetail deer, Black bear (two seasons), controlled drawings for moose and mountain goat, and Rocky Mountain sheep and Desert Bighorn Sheep and antelope. Also mountain lion with seven month season and two lions limit in some areas. Wild turkey (spring and fall), grouse, quail, chukar, ducks, geese, pheasants. Varmits open season year long.

Good fishing, streams, rivers and lakes. Also, one can register with F&G for depredation hunts for elk, deer, turkey, etc., but those permits are not easy to obtain.

Wild country to explore, plus open carry of handguns is legal, and CCW for handguns is "shall issue." Very easy to obtain. Private party sales of firearms is legal without communistnazi background check/waiting periods.

Great outdoor sports. Idaho is the whitewater capitol of the world, if you like rafting, kayaking, jet boating, etc.

I like it here.

FWIW. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I moved to Oregon for the mountains and the hunting opportunities in 1995. I will not leave Oregon to live somewhere else, as I have moved enough in 50 yrs of life.

However, I am close enough to Idaho. Idaho has some fantastic opportunities for hunting, scenery, outdoor activitiies like whitewater rafting etc.

Game seasons are excellent. Another good thing about Idaho, is that it has not been destroyed as much as by the Tree Huggers and the "get back to Nature crowd" as has been Colorado, Montana and Wyoming. I am sure it is on the tree huggers list of 'things to do" though.

I love Oregon, but the state government sure has made a lot of things go down hill in the last 9 yrs since I have been here.
Something like 52 % of the states population lives in Portland, or Salem or Eugene. Of course that is the meccas for the Yuppies and tree huggers. So the entire state is made up of THEM, and then secondarily, the rest of us.

Of course they are anti hunting, anti every in reality, except of course they don't mind cutting down a forest to put up a Starbucks, or Dutch Brothers so they can stop by and have a cappicino on their drive down to San Fran or LA.

All of the Western States, give good opportunities once you get past the "liberal, anti hunting" idiots and the people who just can't seem to raise hunting fees high enough. We are the government, we need more money more money more money.

The Big City liberals are always passing laws, that don't apply to them, and then they make the people they effect pay the tab.
Find a state without that, and then you have a great state to relocate too. I don't think they exist anymore tho.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
A resident in Alaska has some great hunting ahead of them, if they are up to it. Alaska is a great place to live, and contains probably the only real wilderness left in N America. Wahington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, maybe Utah and N Mexico have some wonderfully rugged country, but it is hard to find wilderness these days. Heck, I looked up some of my old favorites in Alaska a while back, and found a minimall and houses! Go Alaska if you can, you wont regret it. Idaho is great too, helps to bring money with you though. I like Washington, but the remote areas are filling up with yuppies. I hear Oregon is similar, and Montana is on the way. If you truly want some wilderness, Alaska will have what you are looking for, somewhere. Think planes and boats, and take water with you. The water part holds true about every where, I think. Guardia, I think its called. You dont want it! Montana , Idaho, Washington will all do if you have no need for wilderness. Easiest to make a living in is Washington, I think. The longer you think about it, the more time you waste!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I am rather glad that Idaho for some reason is getting ignored.I don't see why tho?Where else can you still hunt either sex Elk without a draw?I actually don't know.If I had to move from Idaho,which I never would,it would be Montana for me.The local hunter's wear only street cloth's or camo when hunting,No Orange.Where else can you shoot a Big Bull and have it stumble onto a main road to die and have it be 3 hour's before some one drives buy?I could have used the help

Having lived and worked here my entire life,it is changing fast enough,but in my opinion, there is know better place to live.Where I live it's Five miles to Elk- Deer- Bear-Turkey-grouse-etc and 12 miles to Salmon and Steelhead and trout out the back door.

My unbias vote is for Idaho.Hard to beat in my mind.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
There are several things to consider -
resident state in location to other states in which you would consider hunting for different game-
what does the home state offer itself ?
how long is the season and bag limit of home state
depending on what you like to hunt
4 legs or wings?

so while you are crusin on the web look up each state -

at the below web sites
they have all the info you will need-
some have a couple of week of big game season with bags of one each
others have several months with ie deer per day bag

http://www.buckmasters.com/Buckmasters_Links/HuntingSeasons/Seasons.html

or

http://www.huntinfo.org/websites.html

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd pick WY , MT , or Idaho . Do some traveling out there and find a spot that best suits you personally .

While Alaska no doubt has the most hunting and back country , from what I gather it is difficult to access much of the hunting there , you either need to go in by boat or aircraft , which can make it expensive even for residents .

You can access most of the hunting country in the mountain states with nothing more than your 4x4 vehicle and a pair of hiking boots . And buy a bull elk license for $16 (Mt , for example). There has really never been anything like it in the history of hunting for the common joe .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I would not change much (well, maybe B.C.) if I had to do it over again (hey, I moved 8,000 miles and a continent to get here....).

The problem with any of the Western States is that if you are an MBA (sounds familiar.......), you will take AT LEAST a 50% pay cut to come live here. I could triple my income if I moved to either coast.

Another problem with the western states is that it takes several hours to get to decent hunting grounds from the population centers. You might consider getting some experience in the "city", and just negotiating extra vacation time into your contract. Hop on a plane on Saturday, hunt for three or four days, and go back to the grindstone.

A college buddy of mine does that. He works in Dallas. On Friday afternoon, he hops a Delta flight to Salt Lake, and by 9 PM, he's in southern Idaho, ready to go turkey hunt in the morning. Cheaper than a lease in Texas, and it takes him about the same amount of time to get here than drive to the lease he used to have!

On the other hand, if you don't mind being poor, come on down! You won't be the only poor hunting fool around these parts. My father-in-law has to sit down with his employees and the game regs every year so they can plan their big game hunt applications. Otherwise, there'd be nobody on the farm from September through November . HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Can't add much other than to repeat the lament about jobs. Idaho, Eastern Washington, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, North Dakota, not a whole lot of REAL differences when it comes to the working-stiff-hunter. In most of these states, depending on where you live, be prepared to drive a bunch to get to some good hunting areas. Around Bozeman access to decent upland game and deer hunting stinks (same thing, long ago it was easy, now its nearly impossible) but elk hunting access is your nearest forest service access road.

I'd pick a few of these states and start a wide ranging job search. Sounds sacreligious, but there are many more important aspects of life than hunting. Look for a few communities with your type of church, social, sporting, schooling, etc. activities and focus there.

I have a good friend who moved from Bozeman to Billings to the Rapid City area and he's loving it. With each move he found better hunting for everything except elk. Excellent access, lots of tags to draw, varmints, growing population.

Good luck in your search.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would pick Montana.

There is a lot of hunting in surrounding states that can be had for a non-res too.

It is easier to hunt Idaho from Montana than it is to hunt Montana from Idaho. That is why I wouldn't pick Idaho for the home state.

Really just about any Western state would be fine. There are more hunting opportunities than there are days in the year. So you couldn't possibly hunt them all in one year anyway.

Just spend April-September in Alaska and Oct-March in any of the western states with an Alaskan residency and you could hunt your brains out.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I am discouraged - my company is offering me a chance to relocate to NM - I was really looking forward to it since I am from Montana(living in Alabama) and miss it worse than anything. I did a check on NM hunting seasons - rifle - just horrible - a few days and thats it - that is not a season - it is broken into twenty thousand teeny weeny periods - also looks like you pick a specific district for deer and elk - not state wide for over the counter or even draw tickets - I may just change my mind about going to NM unless someone here has a different story

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancey,
Other than the absolutely screwed up politics and population growth in Oregon, I love the place. If you look at the actual game population, Oregon does very well. Although our blacktail deer herd is dropping. We have one of the highest elk herds, within 4 different climate zones; coastal mountains, cascade range, high desert of SE Oregon and the Blue Mountain which is classic rocky mountain habitat. The Roosevelt elk are all over on the coast. In the spring and summer I hit the rivers an hour before sunrise and salmon and steelhead fish until about 7:00 am. I boogy home take care of the fish and still make the office by 9:00. The coast and the desert are awesome but work is an issue in both areas. We have all the game of the lower 48 except moose and griz. The real down side is the Oregon population has tripled in size in the last 20 years, most of the growth comes from California.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogue6 Hush Geess now ever body's going to be coming here.The Owyhee went first ( no good hunting for chuckers left ) next went the steen's MT area ( no good deer hunting left )

Pottsy = gready

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Pottsy-I always wanted to be a Logger from Coos Bay Oregon and old Ray Stevens wrote the song.The Haircut.Love it.Move over were moving there.Idaho just has female barber's.It won't be long and I won't need a barber so were in a hurry.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman1, I live within a few miles of NM and your assessment of the situation there is pretty much correct. Unless you have a private land connection, the short seasons and competition on public land make it hard.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
slancy,

At your age and being single you have some flexibility, but I'd recommend that you consider total life style, not just hunting and shooting. Young people who move to small western towns sometimes find it hard to make a living. Older people like retirees may find themselves socially isolated and lonely. I moved to Colorado as a young man, left due to a job change, and am now a retiree looking to move back to the west. I've lived in a number of places around the country and have learned a few things through experience. One thing I can't stand is provincialism. It's no good when everyone in town went to high school together and you're considered an outsider if you weren't born there. Been there and done that, and won't do it again. In my case I'm looking for a gun-friendly place with a fair number of retirees. A small to medium size city with a good range would be ideal. I've already ruled out one area, because I tried to contact a couple of guys in the local gun club by e-mail and phone and got no reply. Good luck!

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Some of you helpful folks raise some good issues. I'm thinking Northern Rockies: WY, ID, MT. What cities in that region have: a.) A decent job market for professionals; b.) Young single women? It's a serious question. I know some towns where every girl can't wait to leave for the big city after she hits 18. I would like to get married one day, so finding a place where women aren't dying to escape would also be a consideration (make that strong consideration).

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you might find a match in either Seattle or Portland. Just a drive away from hunting/fishing, and you will make enough to go to Id or Mt or Wy if you want. I lived in Seattle, I still think it is one of the best large cities, but that will all change when Mt Rainier speaks volcano next.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
You want a woman too. You don't want much do you?!

In Alaska you don't lose your woman you just lose your turn.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jaycocreek Er that would be old longshoreman

Pottsy

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I would say that Montana would be hard to beat for overall hunting. You've got tons of different species and you can drive or hike to most of your hunting areas. Plus your surrounded by other states with good hunting.
I dearly love Alaska and never plan on leaving but the hunting here can be difficult to access and your "casual" hunting is rare. Its kind of tough to hop in the truck and go for a half day big game hunt. I've talked to several people who have moved here from western states, ID&MT, and they all seemed to express these frustrations. Good Luck!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote