THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .300win factory Velocity, what are they really getting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300win factory Velocity, what are they really getting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All this Talk about the various .30 bores velocity latley got me thinking. Has any one Chrony'd any factory (180gr) .300win stuff latley? Just wondering how much the factorys have "lawyered" the ammo.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello? anyone out there?

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark, I've chronographed whatever .300 Win. Mag. factory ammo I've gotten my hands on over the years.

Remington's standard 'green box' 180 gr. Core-Loct ammo produced right at 2950 fps., as did Winchester's 180 gr. Power Point ammo, Federal's Premium 180 gr. Nosler Partition, and Hornady's "Custom" 180 gr. SP. There wasn't a 20 fps. variation between any of them.

Winchester's 180 gr. Partition Gold and 180 gr. Fail-Safe ammo each produced right at 3050 fps., and excellent accuracy.

Hornady's 180 gr. "Heavy Magnum" and Federal's "High-Energy" 180 gr. Trophy Bonded loads both went over 3100 fps. in my rifles. In fact, I got over 3150 fps. out of one of my rifles with a 24" Hart barrel, and another one with a 26" Kreiger with that Federal HE load, and truly superb accuracy. Despite the 2" difference in barrel length, velocities were almost identical.

The Winchester Fail-Safe and the Federal HE loads are the very best .300 Win. Mag. factory ammo I've ever shot from the bench or hunted with. They provide all of the performance that the .300 Win. Mag. has to offer.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank Allen!! Wow I must admitt I was not expecting those kind of numbers. That is good to know though, exspecially since I am in the mood for a new rifle. Usually you hear how pathetic the factory stuff is. Sounds like they are doing the .300win justice. Thanks again.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Mark,

There was a post over on the reloading section about 24" vs 26" barrels, in 300 Win Mag. You mat want to check it out. If not, here is a quote from me...

quote:
Funny you should ask!
I just spent a couple hours at the range today, shooting two 300 Win Mags. One is my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with a 26" barrel, the other is a buddies Winchester M70 Classic with about a 24" barrel and that darn BOSS thing on the end. The BOSS makes the barrel look about the same length as my A-Bolt, and I'm guessing about the exact length (24") of that barrel.

Anyhow, the first load I tried was my favorite 78.0grs of RL-25 (not RL-22!), 200gr Partitions, Fed 215s, and R-P brass.

In my A-Bolt the chony read (in fps)...

In my friends M70 this load clocked...

That's about 200fps difference between those two rifles.

With a factory load from Federal, with 200gr Sierra Game Kings (hey, a friend gave them to me! ), the difference wasn't so large.

A-Bolt

M70
(no 5th shot)

I'm guessing that the "slow" RL-25 really needs all 26 inches (plus) to really start to work. Not sure what powder blend Federal was using, but it wasn't as responsive to the extra barrel length.

Hope that helps. Just a couple factory figures, but that's all I got...

------------------
Brian

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 03-26-2002).]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote