THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Barnes,130gr or 140gr TSX for 270win ?.....All opinions welcome

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes,130gr or 140gr TSX for 270win ?.....All opinions welcome
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I'm trying to pick between the 130 and 140 grain TSX for my 270 win. If you've used them, please give me some experience and the load. Even if your reasoning is really out there on the decision between the two, I still want to here it.

Please include loads. Thanks

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the .270 was made for 130TSX.....(actually its the other way around but its cold here on the Palouse...)

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten extreme accuracy from the 130 grain TSX in my Sig SHR 970 (270 Winchester).

The bullet has performed well on all 3 animals I shot.

I shot a fallow deer with the 130 grain TSX this past summer in Texas. I hit the deer low in the chest (facing towards me) and didn't strike any bone.
The bullet didn't appear to expand, and behaved more like a solid.
Fortunately I hit the heart, and he didn't go anywhere.

I am going to stick with the TSX bullets, but remain aware about bullet placement.

On the other hand, I shot an Axis deer with the TSX in .257 caliber, but hit slightly further back than I wanted to.
The bullet struck a rib and angled forward towards the opposite shoulder, and exited.

He only ran 40 yards or so, and dropped, never getting back up. He needed a finishing shot when I walked up on him.
In that case the bullets performance was far better than my shot placement.

I think where the TSX bullets really shine is on larger, heavier animals where penetration is of concern.
I keep using them because they are most accurate, and I feel more confident in my rifle.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
130gr shoot great groups in my ruger .270

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a max charge of RL22 under a 130gr TSX, gets me about 3150fps and very good accuracy, and outstanding terminal performance on elk.

This combo has worked so well, I have not tried the 140gr TSX.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any difference in performance between the 130 and 140 grain TSX is in our imaginations. The deer will never know.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 130 and the 140 TSX next to me. They are exactly the same length. Barnes achived that by fattening the 140 at the curve.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off I would get a box of both and give them a run. Perhaps that will give something to consider as well.

I've not shot the 140 TX, I have used the 130 TX more than a bit.

It is highly accurate, runs very well with R22 and has been very effective on deer/elk/lopes to 500.

I would go 130 and not look back one bit.

And like was said by another there is not a bit of difference unless you big time micro manage. And, life is just to short for that.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I loved the performance of the 140. I haven't tried the 130 though. Go to this link.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/433105514

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
130 Re19, OR Re22.

From experience, and looking at the OLD Barnes line up, I've been waiting for the 120 TSX to come out. I've emailed Barnes about this many times. Who knows, it may come out in their new MRX. Because of the shear toughness of the TSX bullet, I think the 120 would be ideal for deer and antelope, but I'll never convince my brother of that, he's a big 110 fan, and rightfully so. How do you argue with more than 7 dead animals in one season with that little pill?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns