New
Find
Notify
Tools

caliber choice
 Login/Join

<350RM>
posted
As a new member actually in the process of buying a� new rifle, I appreciated a lot the trend about the 270 winch.
I cannot decide between the 270, the 7RM and the 7X64.

The 7X64 is really popular here in Europe, but it may be a bit slow to give the wished shock upon impact...

the 270 is a bit lighter - too light ? - but universally found, and federal sells a high energy load.

The 7 RM seems to fill the bill as it pushes a 7X64 bullet at the speed of the 130gr 270. But then, the barrel is longer / heavier, and recoil is sharper - I forgot the 300 winch fort this reason - as I want a light, compact rifle.

I want to use this rifle for all my hunting in Europe: wild Boar, Red Deer, Roe Deer, Moose, Foxes, anything.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Olivier

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 350RM:
I cannot decide between the 270, the 7RM and the 7X64.

Olivier

Go with he 7x64 and heavy bullets, if yu don�t want something more powerful as the .30-06, the 8x57IS or the 9,3x62. They are not to rough to shot with a proper rifle, and it no problem to shoot foxes with 9,3 full metal jacket. However, a big boar with a light rifle can be a real problem.

Yours,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll do fine with any of them. If you were in the U.S., I would recommend the .270, but in Europe, the 7 x 64 may be just as readily available. You'll gain only a little in going to the 7mm Remington Magnum, but if you find it in a rifle you like, it will serve you well.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 270 is fine cal to use on any of those beasts you mentioned.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I would go with one of the 7MM's to get the heavier bullets for the boar. But bullet selection to match the game is very important with these small bores.

The writer mentions a concern for shocking power. Again with the optimum bullet all of these cartridges will be similar.

I would go with the lighter rifle at least for what I know of hunting in the USA. We carry them a lot more than we shoot them for sure.

There would be nothing wrong with a 30-06 either for this application. In fact it would be my choice.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Go with the 7x64 (or its twin, U. S. .280 Remington) in a 24" barrel, and don't look back. I know from my own experience that it will reliably kill game up to 500 kilograms at distances in excess of 200 meters if you use decent 160 or 175 grain bullets, and it is easy on the ears and shoulder.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Thanks for the input, fellows.
The rifle will be a Blaser, it weights between 2.7 and 3kg, and lenght is between 93 and 102cm. Nothing really clumsy, you see.
The 7X64 is the choice of reason, it seems.

Thanks again

olivier