Find
Notify
Tools

BG Boddington:
 Login/Join

<redleg155>
posted
Welcome...

I'm not as active on this forum as in previous years so I just caught up on your Miller rifle sale thread. Interesting to say the least.

Having read many of your writings over many years, I can say it's great to have another member with a wealth of experience here. I don't have that much big game experience so I follow the few people the do and write about it.

Like any public gathering, whether it be real or in cyber-space, you have to sort through the fluff and spunk that is sometimes readily available in quantities equal to intelligence.

Personally, I've learned a bunch from some of the folks here but consider myself smart enough to sort through the fluff. I've even shot with a couple folks that post here and have founds friends in them.

Additionally, I'd like to express a thank you for honoring us with your input here and sincerely hope you check in now and then and continue contributing.

Finally. If you're ever in Central Indiana or close, please feel free to contact me and we can go break some clays or hunt some feathered game together. As a former US Army Captain, you have my word that it will be nearly covert and you won't be swamped with autograph and dinner requests...

Best regards - redleg

[ 08-20-2003, 23:20: Message edited by: redleg155 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
He won't be back in the country until mid August, but I'm sure he'll be back on the forum then.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
bump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would like to welcome you. You are an asset to this country and I am very thankful that you serve us as you do.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
bump

<redleg155>
posted
Again another thread has surfaced with rumors. What's going on here? Are you that are jumping over the line jealous or just putting up a big puff of weightless smoke to cover your pride?

BG Boddington: My original words (above) and invitation still stand.

Regards - redleg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
redleg,

Rumors are very damaging. I have no personal knowledge of the events in question, and certainly they have nothing to do with hunting whatsoever, but to clear up the rumors, here is the AP article:

Marine commander reprimanded over rank

By MATT KELLEY

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Marine Corps has reprimanded its Iraq war commander for improperly allowing a colonel to wield the authority and wear the insignia of a general for nine months last year.
Col. Craig T. Boddington had been nominated in 2001 to become a brigadier general but had not been confirmed by the Senate when he wore the one-star insignia as a Marine commander in Kuwait from April 2002 through the end of last year, the Marine Corps said in a statement.

Lt. Gen. Earl B. Hailston, who then commanded all Marines in the region, admitted ordering Boddington to take command and wear the insignia of a brigadier general, the statement said. Acting Navy Secretary Hansford T. Johnson gave Hailston a letter of censure for his actions, the statement said.

Hailston is on leave awaiting retirement, Marine Corps spokesman Douglas Powell said Friday.
The Marine Corps' inspector general began investigating after getting an anonymous complaint last December. Boddington left the post in Kuwait weeks later.

The statment said Boddington, who has returned to a previous job at Camp Pendleton, Calif., was "counseled" about the matter but not punished further. His nomination is still pending in the Senate.

Top officer assignments in the U.S. military require confirmation by the Senate. Allowing an officer to use a rank without that confirmation is considered a serious breach of military rules.
Wearing improper insignia is a touchy issue in the Navy and Marine Corps.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee stopped wearing three decorations on his uniform earlier this year because he did not have the proper documentation proving he was entitled to them. In 1996, Adm. Jeremy "Mike" Boorda, then the Navy's top uniformed officer, shot himself to death at his home just before he was to be questioned by reporters about two Vietnam combat decorations he wore but may not have been authorized to display.

Hagee commanded Marine forces at Camp Pendleton when Boddington was ordered to Kuwait in March 2002 and passed along Hailston's directive to have Boddington act as a brigadier general, the Marine Corps statement said.

Johnson wrote to Hagee expressing confidence in Hagee's ability to lead the Marine Corps, the statement said. Johnson's letter said he is counting on Hagee to ensure "the culture within the Marine Corps requires adherence to law and policy" and that "when mistakes are made, immediate action must be taken to address them," the statement said.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/news/politics/6650975.htm

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains - is it that you read incorrectly or just have no comprehension skills whatsoever? You have missed the point that everyone is trying make. No one is saying that because he is a great and wonderful writer we should all bow down and honor him, but that anyone who serves our country deserves the respect of every American, even _____ like yourself. Maybe he is a hero to some on the forum. If so, they're entitled to sing his praises all they want. You don't have to like his writing and you have every right to criticize it if you feel you must, but the way you have gone about trashing the guy really makes you appear petty, unpatriotic, and basically a few other things that I won't say on this forum.

<Zeke>
posted
So, what exactly does Boddington's rank in the Marine Corps have to do with hunting big game? Does it matter to Bambi? Is the angry elephant going to stop and consider whether Boddington is a General or a Colonel before charging him?

The ignorant flamethrowers that seem to take great delight in bashing someone from afar need to get a life. This is the "Big Game Hunting Forum" I think the "Boddington Flame Throwing Forum" Is located in the Internet Cesspool somewhere else in cyberspace.

Despite my frequent disagreements with Boddington's writings about using magnum rifles, he has probably forgotten more about hunting than I will ever learn. He is always welcome around my campfire to discuss the age old arguement of ".270 Tupperware Special vs 416 Eargesplittenloudenboomer"

Remember, if you are here fussing over Boddington, you aren't hunting or shooting.
Rant Over

Off to the range.

ZM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gotogirl,

You are a bit too touchy about your mentor. He's the one who illicitly held himself out as a general, not me. The only unpatriotic act was holding himself out as having a rank not given to him by Congress due to excessive ego and pride.

Notice that lately he stopped signing his articles "General Craig Boddington" since this flap came about.

[ 09-08-2003, 20:05: Message edited by: 500grains ]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
Bump

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
gotogirl,

You are a bit too touchy about your mentor. He's the one who illicitly held himself out as a general, not me.
Dipshit, you are as untruthful as you are ignorant, each in different areas. As you DO know, liar, it would have been illicit NOT to hold himself out as a frocked general when told to do so by his commanding officer. The only unpatriotic act was holding himself out as having a rank not given to him by Congress due to excessive ego and pride. More example of untruthfulness rather than ignorance.

Notice that lately he stopped signing his articles "General Craig Boddington" since this flap came about.
Are you advocating that he continue?

500g, you are one of the sorriest pieces of excrement to display himself on this site in a long time. "Judy," at least, is perhaps pushing a viewpoint to which he subscribes, as are some of the other trolls and up-front arguers. You, however, are simply trying to tear down a person of accomplishment because you have none. Sorry, loser, we don't all live in the mud.

[ 09-15-2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Recono ]

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
gotogirl3,
You can tell him there are a lot people here who admire and respect him. You can count me in that camp. I am a former SeaBee (any marine knows what that is). We had the utmost respect for the marines. I have been reading his stuff since he was a captain and wrote an article on hunting lesser kudu. If I had half of his knowledge of guns & hunting I would be happy.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Why bother with others problems? What is the problem with calling him, Craig or Mr. Boddington?
This is a sand box fight [Roll Eyes]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN is right. I believe if you'll check one of the many threads where he has been trashed you will see that Boddington himself says he does not expect use of his rank when communicating with him. He says that Craig, Boddington, etc. are fine with him. It is other people who seem to have a problem - a sand box type problem I agree!

Shannon

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
redleg,

Rumors are very damaging. I have no personal knowledge of the events in question, and certainly they have nothing to do with hunting whatsoever, but to clear up the rumors, here is the AP article:

Marine commander reprimanded over rank

By MATT KELLEY

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Marine Corps has reprimanded its Iraq war commander for improperly allowing a colonel to wield the authority and wear the insignia of a general for nine months last year.
Col. Craig T. Boddington had been nominated in 2001 to become a brigadier general but had not been confirmed by the Senate when he wore the one-star insignia as a Marine commander in Kuwait from April 2002 through the end of last year, the Marine Corps said in a statement.

Lt. Gen. Earl B. Hailston, who then commanded all Marines in the region, admitted ordering Boddington to take command and wear the insignia of a brigadier general, the statement said. Acting Navy Secretary Hansford T. Johnson gave Hailston a letter of censure for his actions, the statement said.

Hailston is on leave awaiting retirement, Marine Corps spokesman Douglas Powell said Friday.
The Marine Corps' inspector general began investigating after getting an anonymous complaint last December. Boddington left the post in Kuwait weeks later.

The statment said Boddington, who has returned to a previous job at Camp Pendleton, Calif., was "counseled" about the matter but not punished further. His nomination is still pending in the Senate.

Top officer assignments in the U.S. military require confirmation by the Senate. Allowing an officer to use a rank without that confirmation is considered a serious breach of military rules.
Wearing improper insignia is a touchy issue in the Navy and Marine Corps.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee stopped wearing three decorations on his uniform earlier this year because he did not have the proper documentation proving he was entitled to them. In 1996, Adm. Jeremy "Mike" Boorda, then the Navy's top uniformed officer, shot himself to death at his home just before he was to be questioned by reporters about two Vietnam combat decorations he wore but may not have been authorized to display.

Hagee commanded Marine forces at Camp Pendleton when Boddington was ordered to Kuwait in March 2002 and passed along Hailston's directive to have Boddington act as a brigadier general, the Marine Corps statement said.

Johnson wrote to Hagee expressing confidence in Hagee's ability to lead the Marine Corps, the statement said. Johnson's letter said he is counting on Hagee to ensure "the culture within the Marine Corps requires adherence to law and policy" and that "when mistakes are made, immediate action must be taken to address them," the statement said.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/news/politics/6650975.htm

Posts: 3 | Location: Paso Robles, California | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
Craig,
Just wanted to say off topic, thank you for the article a while back about the 8mm Rem Mag. I have one, and it is accurate and awesome.
I hope no one scares you away like they have on other forums.
Don't worry, any negative comments by posters against you stem from shear jealousy.
Just stay away from the politics forum and everything should be alright. That place is a harem of misinformed opinions and unintelligent ramblings to say the least.

[ 09-17-2003, 09:29: Message edited by: Matt77 ]

posted Hide Post
To all (including 500 grains)--
I really appreciate your interest (I guess). As a couple of folks have said, I have no idea what this has to do with hunting and shooting. I have tried very hard to keep my military and writing careers separate--only rarely do I let editors talk me into writing stuff that touches on military subjects. I really doubt that I can clear the air on this one, but I'll try.
First off, it really doesn't matter to me whether my stuff is bylined as Col. or just plain Craig. I prefer the latter, and that's the way I send in my stories. But some editors prefer the tradition of using military titles--Col. Whelen, Col. Askins, Maj. Nonte, etc.
I am very much still a Colonel, although I have been a "Brigadier General (Select)" for 30 months now (I think a Marine Corps, if not all services, record). This is confusing. It is further confused by the fact that I have now served in three General Officer billets, and although it isn't proper a lot of Marines--too many to correct on a daily basis--address me as "general" or "general select." Please note that the magazines I make my living writing for--Primedia titles (HUNTING, GUNS & AMMO, RIFLESHOOTER) have consistently kept it correct, IDing me as Col. or just plain Craig. Some of the other magazines I occasionally write for have, without my approval, "jumped the gun" and bylined me as Brigadier General. This has been embarrassing enough, but especially so in light of the situation recently in the news. The AP story quoted in this thread is factual and correct. MARINE TIMES had a more detailed version, sorry but I'm not sophisticated enough on a computer to know how to post it! In short, I was improperly "frocked." The matter is absolutely concluded insofar as the Department of Defense, Department of the Navy, and the Marine Corps is concerned, and I have some expectation, although no certainty, that in due time I may still be promoted.
Regrettably, none of the newspaper stories commented on whether I did a good job or not, and few dwelled upon the fact that my superiors, who are very good leaders and fine officers, took the action that they took, albeit improper, based on their assessment of the tactical situation at that time. No reports mentioned that, at the conclusion of the six-month deployment I volunteered for, I voluntarily extended in theater at the request of my superiors, and remained there for another four months until (as reported) the investigation triggered my replacement. For those who understand military jargon, I was not "relieved for cause" (fired); I was replaced four months after I was due to be replaced, received the best Performance Evaluation (Fitness Report) of my career, and was recommended for an award (which I may or may not receive, for obvious reasons). I conducted an orderly turnover with my relief before returning to the States (wearing eagles) and resuming my duties there. I "deactivated" at my request six weeks later and went on a desert sheep hunt, then returned and continued to serve through July (on drills and short-term orders) as Deputy Commanding General I Marine Expeditionary Force (Camp Pendleton), as a Colonel or BGen(sel), whichever you prefer.
However, the facts of the situation are that my frocking was improper. The investigation determined that I "permitted myself to be frocked" improperly, and I, together with my superiors, were held accountable. My part in this was concluded in a private meeting with the Acting Secretary of the Navy. I am satisfied with the outcome, and I regret the embarrassment to the Marine Corps. What was done was done without malice and without any expectation of personal gain (in my case, quite the opposite--I knew that the ultimate result could well be that I would never be promoted). We, my superiors and I, were focused on the mission (as Marines tend to do). We accomplished our mission, but we erred in this aspect of our methodology. Although I have no control over this, I do hope that the Senate will confirm me and that I will be promoted and allowed to continue to serve. Failing confirmation and promotion, I will soon reach 30 years of commissioned service and mandatory retirement as a Colonel (or BGen(sel), whichever you prefer). As I said, this matter has been formally and properly concluded--so can we just get back to hunting and shooting???
One final comment, with a story:
Charlie Askins was a good friend of mine--my mother knew him (and had a crush on him) in the 1930's. He could be the consummate old world gentleman, and he could also be an irascible old cuss. One time at a show a young fellow came up to him and said, "Mr. Askins, I've read your stuff all my life and I'm so pleased to meet you."
Charlie immediately replied, "Son, in the Army we address warrant officers as 'Mister,' and that's a rank I've never held." And he turned and walked away.
I really don't care what you call me, and I wouldn't do that to anyone (well, I wouldn't now. I don't know what I might do when I'm 80). But I really do prefer plain old Craig. "Col." works just fine for now if you wish, but "Mr." makes me feel REALLY OLD!
Best wishes to all, and to most of you, my sincere thanks for your support.
Semper Fi,
Plain Old Craig

Posts: 3 | Location: Paso Robles, California | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt77:
Craig,
Just wanted to say off topic, thank you for the article a while back about the 8mm Rem Mag. I have one, and it is accurate and awesome.
I hope no one scares you away like they have on other forums.
Don't worry, any negative comments by posters against you stem from shear jealousy.
Just stay away from the politics forum and everything should be alright. That place is a harem of misinformed opinions and unintelligent ramblings to say the least.

Sorry, guys, I'm still trying to figger out how to do this!!!!! Honest, I don't scared away that easy . . . I just don't have much (any?) spare time! Love the 8 mag, just had it in Namibia. The 220-grain Sierras really work, rarely have anything walk away, and have never had anything get away!

[ 09-17-2003, 10:24: Message edited by: Craig Boddington ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears Craig Boddington was just following orders, and has done no wrong.

Craig is an intense fellow in whatever he undertakes, I am confident to say, from what I know of him. I have read most of his books and articles, been watching him on TV lately, and have talked to some who have met him. He is amazingly prolific. He must be never idle. He seems honest, truthful in what he writes, says, does. Of course he cannot please everybody all the time, in everything he does. It is just impossible in the sociopolitical human mess we all deal with.

To get where he is (envied and targeted by the small-minded nobodies, but admired, revered, hero-worshipped, by the rest of us) has required a lot of talent, hard work, and some luck.

I am a lesser mortal, but hope to meet Craig Boddington someday, and thank him, for what he has done to advance our passion/sport. Everybody needs to be crazy about something.

I will thank him too, for service to our country.

Semper fi, Craig.

Yep, that's Craig, semper fidelis.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig

Thank you for the service you have gien our nation and thank you for the enjoyment you have given me for many years now. You are one of the first "gun writers" I remember reading on a regular basis. I may not always agree with you, but I have tremendous respect for your knowledge and talents.

Tom

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Hope you stick around...I have always enjoyed your articles even if we don't see nearly enough of them over here in the UK!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig

I enjoyed your book "Safari Rifles" immensley and being from Rhodesia (not the Zimbabwe Ruins) I can relive my hunting past as a teenager with my late Dad, as brief as is was in that country, through books like yours.

I wish you all the best - keep hunting and writing.

Dingo.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I am genuinely relieved to find this "improper title" business explained to my satisfaction. While I must admit I am not a strong fan of his writing, I would like to commend Col. Boddington for his conduct here.

Then again, anyone who like big guns like he does should fit in quite nicely around here.

Perhaps someone can give him a quick lesson in picture posting, so we can get him to feed our recovered-bullet-photo addiction? LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt77:
Craig,
Just wanted to say off topic, thank you for the article a while back about the 8mm Rem Mag.

An epitaph thus ?
I sure agree the 8mm Rem Mag deserves a nice, well-crafted tombstone. But the coffin under it should be sealed shut, so that we won't have to see this zombie cartridge again 8-).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig: I respect your integrity, and maybe we'll meet in the hunting fields one day. Welcome to AR.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COL Boddington-

Sir, I'm an Army Reserve Major currently serving in Iraq. Thank you for your integrity. I especially admire your voluntary extension, as my entire chain of command, from 4 Star General down to HQ Company Commander fled the theater as soon as they could, after major combat operations were done. I wish we had your integrity in the US Army.

MAJ Schumann

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Craig

I've been following this silliness for awhile I am continually amazed at the pettiness an childness of a couple of the posters. A bit embarassing also.

Someone once said that when you find yourself in a hole you should stop digging. Apparently a couple of members here feel that if they throw the dirt higher it will stop coming back down on their heads. [Wink]

As a person with many friends who have/had children in Iraq, even a few Marines, I want to thank you for your work there. As a hunter and shooter I would like to also thank you for your work. I hope you stick around.

I am also looking forward to meeting you at the NW Chpt SCI Banquet in February.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Col. Boddington,

I would like to thank you for all the years of service you have given to this great country. Without men like you, this country would not be as great as it is.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Dear Craig:

As a non-American, I don't really care much about the thing regardng the temporary rank (but it sure doesn't seem like this was your fault, from what I've read).

In any case, your reply above shows that you are a gentleman with real class!

I'd hunt with you any day.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:
[QUOTE]
I sure agree the 8mm Rem Mag deserves a nice, well-crafted tombstone. But the coffin under it should be sealed shut, so that we won't have to see this zombie cartridge again 8-).

Carcano

Exellent plan to make the more trendy beltless 8X68S take over [Big Grin] I must admit that the 8mm is a interesting caliber but because of some damn reason it has always been living in the shadows of the 30 and 338 [Roll Eyes]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Col.,
We appreciate the response- I can't say that I wouldn't have walked away from this forum after the playground name-calling that has gone on over the past several weeks. You have proven what most of us already know- that you are a gentleman. Thanks again for your writings- keep it up.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
Col.,
We appreciate the response- I can't say that I wouldn't have walked away from this forum after the playground name-calling that has gone on over the past several weeks. You have proven what most of us already know- that you are a gentleman. Thanks again for your writings- keep it up.

Ditto

[ 09-18-2003, 03:26: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
Now that I know you like the 8MM RM, it is obvious you are an OK guy. Seriously, thanks for your comments, cleared up a lot of the issues for most. I don't like most of the gun rags, so have no comment on your writing. The military can be confusing and arbitrary in regards anything, thats what we get for letting politicians run it!!

In any group of strong willed, self thinkers, you will be unable to please all. Please don't let that stop you, if you have the time, that is, from joining in the fray. Just watch out for that Political Forum!!

Back to the 8MM RM, maybe when Bridger Bullets is back up and running, maybe some bullets that fully utilize that round will be had. Wishfull thinking, perhaps.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Dear Plain Ol' Mister/Colonel Craig... Sir:

I'm just glad you've served and lived. That's enough for me.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote