New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prefered type of Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you all prefer for hunting, variable or fixed?

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I prefer to use fixed scope on an issue of strength, all scope unfortunately are so fragile that the quality of scope is more important then tne range and power of the scope. I have used Leupolds scopes and Burris scopes both have their virtues. I feel the Burris products are heavy, but have more eye relief over the Leupolds. Leupold has the name and most of our clients use Leupold. The variables are by far the most popular, I like the fixed scopes for simplicity. If you are going abroad I have seen to many hunts completed with one of my rifles due to scope failure, buy two of whatever you decide on.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I used fixed power scopes. Now that I can afford the varibles, I go with them. I generally use one power for hunting and the highest power for range work. I suppose a fixed power would be sufficent for most hunting. I believe that a hard knock that will take out a good quality varible scope will most likely take out a fixed power. So what I am saying is, how much more strength do you get from having a fixed power. I repeat, a fixed power is sufficent for most hunting.
Nearly all the hunters that I see coming to our camps have varible power scopes. They are deffinately more popular.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt I haven't had the need of more magnification than 4x or 6x on the high side, but with the scope set at 6x, the field of view may be reduced at close range. Since I hunt in bear country, I prefer a variable scope that I can set to its lowest power for close shots, and also allow me to turn the power ring as far as 6x or 7x for long shots.

The areas I hunt are a mix of wide open fields, small clearings, and animal trails. It is never the same, and one may have to shoot from up-close in some areas as far as 400 yards in some other areas. When walking from one area to the next in bear country (or when tracking game), it is not a bad idea to set the scope to its lowest power, then crank it up if needed.

I have had a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x mounted on a .338WM for several years now, and haven't had any problems with it. As some of you may know, hunting conditions in some areas of Alaska are very tough on scopes and rifles, so it is very possible to damage them while hunting in the middle of nowhere.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
It depends. If you�re going to night hunt as we do in Europe a fix 8x56 will do fine.
During daylight a 1-4x24 is enough if its medium to large game on the scedule and the range is max 120m.
The best overall scope is the 2,5-10x50.
It�s not the BEST for any of the above, but it very good overall.
I preffer reticle no 1 or 4.
And I almost forgot: It�s got to be a European Scope!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lately I've been playing more with pistols, rather than rifles. Right now I have 2 New unfired rifles. Both Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless. One chambered in 375 H&H, the other in 300 Weatherby. I also have 3 new un-mounted scopes, all variable. One a Swarovski PV 4-16x50 P, one a Burris Signature 4-16x44, and a Leatherwood auto ranging, that I'm saving for a 30-06 someday. Was planning on puting the Swarovski on the 375, and the burris on the 300. But lately been thinking a fixed 6 might be better all the way around.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have shifted to low-power variable scopes as the best scope for all-around hunting use. Note that I don't have any opportunity for night hunting, so I don't own anything larger than a 42 mm objective.

I used to be an advocate for the fixed power scope, but the manufacturers decided that the market was in variable scopes so that is where they are putting their development money. I think the variables have continued to employ new technology while the fixed-power scopes are second class citizens by comparison.

I also think that illuminated reticles have a genuine use for the hunter who is out at the edges of the day, or after dark-coated game in thick cover.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Low power variable for medium/large game.

High power variable, adj. obj., and target turrets for small game and varmints.

Still love a good set of peeps too....

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Holmes must of my hunting rifles carry 3x9s a few 1.5x4 or6's. My varmit rifles all have high power variables on them. I still do hve a few fix powers around but I working them out of the system.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The fixed power scope is the strongest, has more range of internal adjustment with few moving parts. The fixed power scope is reliable and very strong in quality scope. The more parts in any scope the more that can go wrong. The variable power scope has more moving parts than the fixed power scopes. For all hunting situations the fixed four power scope is ideal.
The variable power scopes now made are much better quality than those first introduced. The major problem with variable power scopes now made are the high number of poor quality scopes being produced. Good quality variable power scopes are very strong. The key is the heavy wall scope tube and internal design and how strong the parts are made. Cheap variable power scopes are made of thin walled scope tubes with very poor quality internal parts. In my view no variable power scope should be produced without the adjustable AO objective. The adjustable AO feature allows the shooter to adjust for parallax and focus from 25 yards to infinity at any power setting on the scope. Variable power scopes without the AO feature can not focus on close objects on any power setting. All my quality variable power scopes have the AO feature beacuse it gives me clear sharp images at close range shooting on any power setting. The 3X9 or 4X12 variable power scope with AO feature is ideal for all hunting situations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with variable powers when I was 19. After a few years i realized in killed every game animal at the lowest power setting. I switched to fixed power ranging from 2.5 to 6 and haven't looked back.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I think the fixed power scopes are a thing of the past in my opinion. It just seems to me that with speaking to gunstore people lately, more money and engineering is going into the variable scopes.

I just ordered a Leupold 4x12 for my newest rifle purchase. I was looking for a big bore kind of a gun, but the practical side of me said that Africa is waaaaaaaay down the road from now. I instead bought a Winchester stainless model 70 in a 300 Ultra mag. The caliber has great expectations on paper, along with a auditorium full of bullets to choose from these days.

I believe this type of a scope matches up real well with the long range capabilities of the caliber in general. I installed a 2x7 Leupold on my 338 Bar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt a mix of open field and woodland and very rotten bush in swamps. I use a 3X9 variable ( with a 50 mm objective) and I am very happy with the versatility of this scope

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote