New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time for MT. Lion in Utah?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When is the best time to hunt in Utah for Mt Lions (with dogs). Early in the season in say december. Better in febuary when theres more snow.
I know they are hunted Dec - April, and was just trying to get an idea on when would be prime, and what time of year to try to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie: how old are you? I'm 61, and was able to get to the dogs Nov 28 of last year for a good bit of filming and finaly a clean kill.. but the snow was only two inches deep. a few weeks later, in was measured in FEET, and required skill on a snow machine and snowshoes to get to treed cats.. then its up the the kids. My son is guideing here in Wyoming and they were able to get two or three older fellows from sea level states on to lions, but its a lot tougher at these altitudes.. check with your outfitter.. HTH Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help,
Is there normally snow on the ground in Utah in early December?
Thanks again,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hey Les,
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Does anybody in these photos look familiar?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt Utah. Contact Wade Lemon.
Myself and my dad hunted with him. My hunt was the hardest hunt I ever did. 1-2FT on snow, hiked in following dogs for about 3-4hrs. Good clean kill, then hiked out.

Les, Great CAT! Did you do a full body mount?

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
You hunt when it snows, so you should be on call and have your guide call you when it going to snow. Get in shape for if you do not tree within an hour-lace up your boot starps for its can be a long run. Mine were and are still any where from 1 hour to 4 days. Just enjoy the run-even if its a dry run.... rotflmo

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote