Tools

Here's another WTF? Delk!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Here's one I never heard of.

Half deer, half elk shot in southern Minnesota

A southern Minnesota deer hunter nabbed himself a strange trophy.

Tom Legred, of Bricelyn, Minn., shot something recently that he and many others couldn't identify.

At first, they thought it was an albino deer, but the body and neck were longer than a normal deer.

It turns out it was something even more rare--a half-deer, half-elk mix, also known as a 'Delk.'

The animal was brought to the University of Minnesota for testing.

Legred hopes to have his trophy back one day so he can mount it over his fireplace.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I need to see a better picture but it looks like a small yearling spike Elk to me. definitely has an Elk nose rather than a deers nose.
Any more pictures of the beast?
I can't imagine it would be a cross, if so why aren't they all over the west?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dave on this one. Not a very good picture but the head sure looks like an elk to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't even think this is possible. Elk and whitetails are not even in the same genus.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya sure vell dere ar sum weird tings dat happen in mennesota. half yu gys never herd anyof dem svede unt ole jokes?? Big Grin tis a gut thing I'm scotish

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a whitetail nose to me. Look at the white around the muzzle. And the spikes do look like a young elk. I wonder if it is an exotic cross, like a sika, they cross them with elk, making a silk I think.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First cousin to a Jackalope

I'd have to see some DNA testing.

Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
video link to story
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S256451.shtml?cat=1

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a better picture of this

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Close up of head in video here:
http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/S255992.shtml?cat=10151

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote