New
Find
Notify
Tools

NR hunting in Montana Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an opportunity to spend some time in Montana as part of a business trip there around the first of October 2008. I would love to do some hunting while I'm there. My business will be in Helena and I can take about a week to spend in the woods.

Besides telling me as a NR to hunt my home state can you give me any general ideas of what I should apply for in the lotteries? Areas to hunt? I'm not trophy obsessed, but would love to be able to go a field and have the chance at harvesting a nice deer either Whitetail or Mule.

At this time I'd be planning a solo backpacking hunt and I'm qualified to be alone in the woods for a few days.

So tips for applying for the lotto drawings? Areas to consider focusing on? Areas to avoid? Antlerless tags work for me too as I can't eat antlers and the experience counts as much as the kill.
Thank you in advance

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that unless there is a second drawing you may have missed the montana lottery drawings. I know that I was already notified that I had not been drawn, so there must have been some drawings already.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I too think that you've missed the drawing deadline, but please check the MT FWP website to make sure. Early October is still archery season for most species in most areas, other than antelope (depending how early). Rifle season starts later in October for most areas/species.

You should be able to buy an over the counter doe tag in some areas (check regs closely) if you're interested and bring your archery equipment.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nonresidents.html
From this link it looks like you can buy an over the counter black bear tag. If I were you, that's what I'd be doing...

Or, in combination with a doe tag or black bear tag you can get an upland game license and spend some great time in the mountains hunting spruce, ruffed and blue grouse. Take a fly rod and hit some mountain lakes.

As to where to go:
There are a lot of places to go around Helena. The Big and Little Belts to the East have it all but get hammered during general rifle season. You can wrestle grizzlies in the Bob Marshall Wilderness (lots of blackies too).

I hope you have a great time. Packing in alone, not worrying about any one else's agenda, is the way to go.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had spent some time looking at the linked site - thanks Mt Al, but after a second look I see you are correct. Looks like the key date was March 15. Its a bit confusing for a southerner who's used to buying licenses over the counter - that and the difference between a Permit and a license.

I may have to be content with a 12gauge and/or a fly rod. I'll be there too early for Pheasant.

I got some reading to do. Thanks again.

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if you missed the application deadline, there is always the option of hunting on one of the Indian reservations. Belknap, for one, offers some pretty good antelope hunting (buck and/or doe), and normally tags are easy to come by.

You'd have to contact the reservations to find out what is available where. Mind you, this will probably be guided hunting only, and I don't know if you are into that??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Yeah reading the MT hunting regs as a non resident can be tricky and confusing.

You HAVE missed the drawing deadline for NR deer and elk ( I applied but didn't get drawn for deer)

The next drawing deadline is for Deer "B" tags ( essentially a doe tag, and you have to apply for a specific type, mule or whitetail and for a specific region) plus the general draw for antelope is also on the same deadlinie date.

Some hunt districts in MT, usually the eastern ones, Regions 5,6,7 sometimes have surplus whitetail "B" tags alvailable on a first come basis starting in Aug.

I alsways hunt in Region 5 with my friends from Billings and even if I don't get a "A" (buck tag) I have always drawn/gotten "B" tags ( your allowed 7 this year) and still go and hutn with them and have fun. Ive done the antelope thing a couple times too.

Hope this helps.

Willi

BTW - the deer in my pic here (I know its hard to see) was from 2007 in MT. My best whitetail buck there so far.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
October is open for upland birds like grouse and huns. Waterfowling will be starting to pick up some and there are usually enough local birds to keep a guy busy.

The antelope drawing still available to you as it doesn't have to be in until June 1st.

There is a ton of opportunity for varmits as well.

Tnomen

Posts: 33 | Location: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote