THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What caliber does you guys use for moose.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber does you guys use for moose.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What caliber have you use for moose...?

How has the effect been. Has the moose go down at once and how big hole has it been.

And what bullet has you use...?

I have shoot many mooses in my live, the most of them whit 6,5x55 and whit 7 mm rem mag.

Whit the 6,5 x 55 some mooses has go down in the shoot even if i have shoot them in the shoulder.

And i have shoot a moose at 320 yards one time, whit the 7 mm rem mag. That moose run about 100 yards.

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
257 Weatherby Magnum.

Casey

<magua>
posted
Best results with a 500pp, pure lead slug out of my 45-70, broadside, through the lungs and he made an about turn and crashed. Second best with my wifes 300 Savage, head on, through the chest and he dropped like a rock. The worst was with the 45-70 using Remington rounds of 405gn jacketed bullets probably meant to be used with 458 mag velocities. No expansion at all was noticed after I finally spined him 30 minutes later. Thats a lesson I won't forget. Proper bullet, proper velocity for the proper game.

<allen day>
posted
I like the .300 Winchester for moose. This cartridge has worked well for me.

AD

<Juneau>
posted
I prefer the .338 Win. shooting 250 gr. Noslers or Swift A-Frames.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
30/06 does the job every time!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 300 ultra mag with 180 gr ballistic tips.After being shot in the lungs they never take more than a few steps before dropping if they manage to move at all.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
one moose with a 338 win mag with 210 partitions. It ran about thirty yards broke two ribs on the way in and two on the way out. The bullet went right between the ribs on both sides. One with the 338 and 250 partitions. The moose just stood there and kept eating for what seemed like minutes while I was getting closer then just fell.
next moose was with a 308 win and 165 barnes X bullets. It ran about 30 yards.
I have been taking a 45/70 with 350 gr X bullets and I'll be taking it this year or my 300 win mag with 200 gr partitions.

[This message has been edited by RMiller (edited 01-29-2002).]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose drop pretty fast when you shoot the heart or do enough damage to the lungs. I only take broadside shots on moose, or any shot that keeps the bullet away from the stomach. Since I use a .338 WM, I never take frontal shots because of the deep penetration of most .338 bullets offer.

The only bullet I have used on moose is the 230-grain FS, and last year a Federal HE round with 250-grain NOS Partition. I have only had one moose that walked perhaps 25 yards after the shot, and all others have dropped on the spot or pretty close to it.

The .30-06, .300 WM, and the .338 WM are very popular here. But I have seen moose killed at close range with a .30-30. Since the average shot on moose in this area is taken from 25 yards to 200 you don't have to use a big gun, but since bears roam in moose country it is not a bad idea to use the largest caliber you are most proficient with.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 01-29-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I used a .340 Wby with a 250 gr. Nosler Partition Gold at 2900 fps. on my Alaska Yukon Moose. I hit him where the neck joins the shoulder. He was walking briskly with his nose stuck between the legs of a very receptive cow, had this funny looking grin on his face, obviously he died happy. Good shooting.

------------------

<JAN>
posted
I have shot two moose with a 308Win and norma Oryx. One ran 75 meters and the other one dropt at once. Now I use a Brno ZG 47 in 9,3x62 and GS customs 230gr HV bullets, only shot one calf with this rifle. One shot through the lungs, right between the ribs on both sides, ran about 100 meters.

<Al Smith>
posted
.30-378 Weatherby Mag and a 180 gr. Barnes X is excellent moose medicine!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overkill:
What caliber have you use for moose...?

How has the effect been. Has the moose go down at once and how big hole has it been.

And what bullet has you use...?

I have shoot many mooses in my live, the most of them whit 6,5x55 and whit 7 mm rem mag.

Whit the 6,5 x 55 some mooses has go down in the shoot even if i have shoot them in the shoulder.

And i have shoot a moose at 320 yards one time, whit the 7 mm rem mag. That moose run about 100 yards.

.338, longest shot 200 FEET!!!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Overkill,
6,5x55 and 7mm Rem Mag -doesn't sound like "Overkill" to me :-)

I use my Husqvarna 1600 Special with Schulz and Larsen barrell caliber 9,3x62, loaded with 57 grains Norma 203B powder and so far with 286gr Alaska bullets, velocity 2400 feet/second. I am eagerly waiting for the new 286gr Oryx bullet (will be introduced during the spring Norma says...)
I am very pleased with this classic Swedish Moose combination.

But i have shoot one moose with my Brno ZG47 .404 Jeffery, 400gr Woodleigh softpoint, 79,5 grains Norma 203B at 2350 f/s. The moose died -but i can't say that it died faster than with the 9,3x62 -which i consider to be "The classic Moose round"!

/Husky

one of us
posted Hide Post
All with the old 8x57 JS and 6,5x55 so far. All reactions from >100 yard runs to "fall over directly". The 6,5 makes very small holes in moose But next fall I'll hopefully get an opportunity to test the new 375 H&H.

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 01-30-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used 30-06 and 375 H&H.
Present moose gun is a Ruger 77 MKII in 338 win mag / 250 Nosler PT.
Topped with Leupold VX III 2,5-8 x 36 and #4 reticle, its a light, fast and powerfull combination.

But there is another M77 in 35 Whelen due in a month or so that will probably ( hopefully ) see some action this fall.

Arild

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Jan
Where you buy Gs bullets in Sweden?
Is there any company selling these bullets here in Sweden? if you the adress olease tell me.
Best regards
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I use either a 45-70, or a 338WM
Moose I shot at 20 feet with the 338 was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil. I looked, and it was gone. What the F****?? Then I took two steps and saw it.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JAN>
posted
I orderd the bullets from GS last summer. Remember that there is 6-10 weeks delivery on orders from SA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 30-06 because that is what I have. I think the 30-06 is a bit light and I am not satisfied with its results on moose. It is adequate but..... I am getting a 9.3X62 to use on moose. I will keep the 30-06 for deer and as a backup.

my father uses a 300 Win mag. and is quite satisfied. Although he has shot a lot of moose with a 270, it sometimes took a few shots to drop the animals. He definately prefers his 300.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
I've lived in alaska 11 years and never hunted moose.I figure I'll start when i get to old to hunt sheep. I've got a friend who grew up in seward and has killed well over 30, all with a 270. He says he's never had to shoot one more than twice. It's not a caliber I'd choose but he swears by it.

<Caveman>
posted
Unfortuneatly, I have not had the opportunity to hunt Moose...yet. However, my father took a 62" wide moose in 1973 with a 7MM REM MAG. This was the largest gun he had at the time. He was shooting his hand loaded 140 gr. Sierra Spitzer flat base bullets. The bull was broad side facing the left at about 100 yards he said. He shot him once behind the shoulders and the bull dropped in his tracks. He did not go into any detail about exit wounds, if there was one, bullet recovery etc. But, obviously the bullet did the trick.

Corey

one of us
posted Hide Post
rockhead: The .30-06 is an outstanding moose cartridge. I use a .338 WM because I hunt in bear country, but lots of people here also use the .30-06.

Shot placement is the key. Place a 180-grain NOS bullet in the right place, and the moose will drop. Use "heavy for caliber" bullets with your .30-06 and it will be fine. The .338 WM and its bullets will allow deep penetration, breaking bone, and quartering shots without any problem, but don't downplay the .30-06. You have a great little cartridge there.

A friend of mine killed a moose with antlers that measured 65" across, and he did so with a .30-06 at about 225 paces. It took three shots through the lungs, but since he always keeps on shooting I imagine the first shot would have killed it.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
8x68 nosler pati.200 gr.

martin