New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum Sealer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need advice about which vacuum sealer for cuts of meat.

I would want one at least 15 inches.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By a more expensive one.

I have a medium price one my son has a higher grade one it works better by far.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell me what your son is using?

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I need advice about which vacuum sealer for cuts of meat.

I’m sure that you have thought this through, so I shouldn’t offer my opinion, but....

I find that vacuum sealers are good for fish fillets but are useless for cuts of meat. Cuts of meat tends to have lots of angles that make the bag useless if the seal is compromised where fish fillets are almost perfectly shaped for vacuum bags.

Plastic wrap works much better. It forces the meat into a shape that doesn’t need a perfect seal to keep the meat protected.

I have used “professional” sealers and bags and this has been my experience. Maybe others have had better luck....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first food vacuuming system about 20 years ago. It was a cheapo from Walmart and it worked like magic the first time I used it, but the second time I tried it the thing wouldn't pull a vacuum. I returned it to the store and exchanged it for the Food Saver brand and have packaged a lot of meat and a few other food items with it until last week when I was using it and in the middle of working with it the thing up and quit pulling a vacuum. I went on a shopping spree at Costco last Sat. and bought another Food Saver and though it works different than the previous model it does the job. I have never had a leaker from all the many hundreds of pounds of meat I have packaged with the Food Saver. Are there better machines out there? Probably, but I am kind of like the guy that needs to get somewhere and fires up his old Buick and goes. He could get there in a new Caddy but he would still be at the same place. I had to pay about $90 for this FS and I know the last one wasn't near that much. Oh well

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Weston 2000 series for 10 years or so. Very happy with it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We package several hundred pounds a year with it.

We get about 98 percent good seals.

I think my sons is a higher grade food saver.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you buy any of them.

Take a good study of what
LEM has to offer. Top quality
products and parts if n when
they break at a fair price.

I have a FS, use it at times and
like the results. Sometimes they're
a real PITA to make 'em suck. Kinda
like some women we've known!

I have several items from LEM and
they're all very good except the
$20 pos cheap french fry cutter.
That's junk! The $100 job is great.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Food Saver from Costco, works great, easy to use, replacement rolls available everywhere.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Happy with my Weston as well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone: Thank you for your experience. JBrown: I have no preconceived notions on this.

I have a book that recommends some brand that cost 700 bucks. If that is what it takes so be it.

Sportsman’s has a brand that tops out at 179 bucks (I think it is a food saver)

Cable’s has its brand at 350 that I am pretty sure sucks.

I will look at LEM.

Keep the recommendations or user reports good or bad coming.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weston for me after 3 failed Foodsavers. I believe the Cabelas are Westons with their label on them. One of the few things they have not knocked off. Foodsavers are notorious for failing to pull vacuum after a few seals.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
The units Cabelas sells are Weston OEMs. Good solid units. I pack hundreds of pounds of fish and meat per year. Make sure the unit you buy has extra vacuum gaskets sealing tape and heating elements available and you are good to go with them. If you need a better unit then the last alternative is the chamber units whits are 2x+ as expensive.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chamber Unit is what the book suggest to purchase.

However, it does not state a brand. I do not think I have seen a Chamber Unit.

The book is by Hank Shaw a professional Chef. He is not too big on the non Chamber Unit types.

Is a Chamber Unit necessary?

It appears the Forum is happy with Weston’s. Thank guys. I will let you know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We had the same Food Saver for 16 years while we lived AK. Sometimes it gave us fits but for us it always worked better than freezer paper and you could see what was in the package.

Do a Google search. Food Saver V3240 seems to be at the top now and it's about $99 thru Amazon.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I have a FS and it has worked great for me.

Instead of buying the more expensive premade bags I have been able to "make my own" bags of various sizes using the rolls and a few extra seals. For example, I can drop a few pieces of jerky in a small bag and seal it, or premeasure gatorade mix into a small bag to take along during longer bike rides, etc.

Don't forget a Sharpie for marking/dating everything.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've had my Foodsaver for so long now I don't even remember where I bought it. I have never had to replace any parts on it. Still works perfectly.

A few things I do when packaging meats:

I freeze the cuts first before sealing the package. This way there is no battle with juices getting into the chamber or the seal. I bag the cuts and stick them in the freezer overnight and seal the next day.

The other thing I do is double seal. I like thicker cuts since I grill mostly. A small wrinkle in the bag at the seal will leak. Double sealing prevents this.

Lastly, pressure canning tougher muscle is the way to go for those cuts. Tender, delicious and saves freezer space for grill worth meat.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, that's a great idea about freezing before sealing. I seem to vac pack a lot of soups, stews, chilis, etc..
Muchas gracias young lady!

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, works great for meals with a lot of liquid in them.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 24 February 2020 02:07 Hide Post
Chamber Unit is what the book suggest to purchase.

However, it does not state a brand. I do not think I have seen a Chamber Unit.

The book is by Hank Shaw a professional Chef. He is not too big on the non Chamber Unit types.

Is a Chamber Unit necessary?

It appears the Forum is happy with Weston’s. Thank guys. I will let you know.

I have gone through 2 food savers and gave away an Italian brand. I like the upper end Cabelas (Weston) that I have been using for the last 12 years or so. Look for bag rolls on ebay. They're about 1/4 the cost.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I've been using a FoodSaver now for about 10 years. No complaints other than the bags are not exactly cheap.

I have even vacuum sealed camping stuff like matches, socks, and underwear I wanted to keep dry. Also bulky stuff, when vacuum sealed take up a lot less space..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
I've been using a FoodSaver now for about 10 years. No complaints other than the bags are not exactly cheap.

I have even vacuum sealed camping stuff like matches, socks, and underwear I wanted to keep dry. Also bulky stuff, when vacuum sealed take up a lot less space..

Supposedly the bags are reusable but I would worry about getting them clean enough. I am sure it can be done so they are safe to use though.

The cost of the bags was one reason I decided to try pressure canning. Now I can not only save on the cost of bags but also have reusable jars from the canned meat. Saves on freezer space too since canned meat is shelf stable.

I have an elderly neighbor I look out for. I gave him a jar of venison to try. He looked at me very suspiciously but took the jar home. It was about two weeks before he worked up the gumption to try the meat. I had given him a stew recipe.

He just came by today with the empty canning jar with the biggest smile on his face.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have used a chamber vacuum sealer for years.

Pros
Bags are cheaper
Long term dependable
You can vacuum seal anything. Gumbo, Chili, soup
I have sealed 50 to 60 bags non stop with no overheating or other problems

Cons
Heavy
Up front expensive although long term could save money

This is where I bought mine

https://www.webstaurantstore.c...kaging-machines.html

The model I have is no longer available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy bulk bags from Cabelas, possibly another labeled Weston product. They seem better than the FS bags to me.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy premade bags off Amazon from whichever is the cheapest I can find brand. They are all the same so far and work well.

If you buy them 200 or more at a time, they get pretty cheap.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a food saver but moved up to the Weston that does a better job. But, my next one will be a chamber sealer which is even better. I buy the bags by the roll and cut to size. You need to cut the bags long for thick cuts of meat so the bag will have enough length to collapse around it.
I pat my fish fillets dry, water is the enemy.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote