THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Marlin 450 or 45-70, Browing, Marlin, Winchester?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 450 or 45-70, Browing, Marlin, Winchester?
 Login/Join

posted
My question is not related to the difference in the 45-70 and the 450, let's assume they are the same for this comparison. Has anyone used the following models and have reason to prefer one over the other:

Browning BLR Lightweight `81
Marlin 1895M
Marlin 1958MR
Winchester 1886 Extra Light

Is the quality equal?
What are the pros and cons?
How is the recoil different?
Is the Browning able to handle greater pressures?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm more partial to the Marlin Guide guns. I have a Stainless guide gun. It is plenty strong enough for anything I would want to shoot in that light carbine.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both the Marlin 45/70 in 22" version with pistol grip and the 1886 Repro winchester in 45/70, I have a slip on recoil pad on my 1886 as it has a steel butt plate. Currently I am using 405 gr woodleigh's and rem 405's in front of 46 gr of AR2207, recoil is stout and I have only fired a dozen or so shots in my 1886 so I have not been able to draw a comparison thus far, I have fired a lot of rounds from my marlin out of my ute window and after 20 or so it starts to bite, I would think the stock set up on the 22" marlin with it's pistol grip would work out to handle the recoil better for bench sessions.

As far as actions go the 1886 is sweet and seems to lock up like a bank vault....it is a more classic looking rifle but does not lend itself to scoping as the marlin does. I have a lyman 66wb on my 1886 and a 2.5x compact leupold on my marlin.

Feel free to ask more questions of me if you want.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE the Marlin GG in 45/70 and it is a nicely balanced system with a strong action.

I also have an original production BLR in .358 Winchester, and I gotta admit after looking t them the BLR is like a bank vault of the 2 of them. There is a lot going on in the BLR action but you gotta remember look what the BLRs are chambered in, 270, .300 winmag. LOTS of pressure in those rounds.
If you ware after pure strength the BLR is probably the strongest
The Marlin the handiest and maybe better balanced.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The added advantage of the BLR is it allows you to use pointed or spitzer type bullets. I prefer the .450 Marlin in a Winchester(M70 that is). Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 22" bbl, the Marlin 1895 Cowboy 26" and a Winchester 1886 (Browning version without the tang safety or rebounding hammer).
Of the 3, the Winchester is smoothest new-- but the 1895 is smoother now as I bought it new in 1972 and have used it the most. The Winchester is suppossed to be a stronger action. The big downside to the Winchester in my opinion is the top ejection of cases. I do not like the shells crossing my line of vision or landing on my head or shoulders. The Marlins also have the option of scope mounting in the proper place with the side ejection. I really like the feel of the Cowboy and will probably end up using it a ton!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote