New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANOTHER?? GameKing report.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
JUST got back from a caribou hunt with the .340 Weatherby. Load is a 250gr GameKing w/ MV of 2820 to match the Shepherd scope.

Not as many 'boo as usual and LOTS of travel to find them so we were not being over selective. First day nothing would come close and I wound up taking 2 bulls at 420yds and 479 yds(later lazered). All shots were behind the shoulder and all rounds exited with the 'boo pretty much locking up in their tracks.
Next day found a few more and took a nice bull at 275yds since no one else was in a position to take it. The round exited and the bull was dead a long time before it hit the ground, dying in it's tracks.

With one tag left for the 8 of us I loaned the .340 to my friend's son who was having misfires with his rifle (???as to cold or ammo) He took the .340 and took a large cow at about 75yds that had it's head down but looking at him. He shot it in the right eye, the bullet exited the back of the head, reentered the body and proceeded the full length of the caribou, exiting out just to the right of the tail root. Obviously the cow went down like it was nuked. MEat damage was minimal for the bullet track. Especially when compared to the hit that one took from a .338 Win mag another person was shooting. He was using WW softpoint and hit one in the right rear ham on a quartering shot and just about blew the entire rear to shreds.

Got back to camp that night and found that one of the RCMPs who hunts with us was having scope trouble and could't hit anything. Next morning he took my .340 and after hunting hard all day settled on a large hornless bull. He used to be a sniper on one of their SWAT teams and knows how to shoot. At 200yds he shot it in the neck just behind the head by about 2 inches. He caught the spine square and the spine was severed and then the bullet exited. It was the first time he had shot the rifle and said he really gripped it tight. He didn't believe any muzzle brake could be ThaT effective. He pulled the trigger then because he said it kicked less then his 20ga, watched the neck explode in hair eruption through the scope. Said he NEVER saw an animal flip over backwards like that before.

Out of 20 caribou, 5 were taken with the .340 using 250gr GameKings. NO bullets recovered because all exited including the one that went the full length of the caribou!!!!

Seems like they worked as they were supposed to.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Thanks for the report. Sounds like your confidence and knowledge of your rifle had much to do with the way the trip turned out!