New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCENTLESS BUG REPELLERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw some where a commercial about this bug repeller that was scentless. I think it was a device rather than a spray or wipe on. Anyone know what I'm talking about? smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Was it a Thermacell? We use them down here and they work great, espicially during spring turkey season. I have also used them during deer season and they have not seemed to notice the smell.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the one GA DEER HUNTER. Could not think of the name. Does it have any odor that you can smell? smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of my bear hunters used the thermocell this spring during bear season and before liting it up were covered with mosquitoes. Once lit, they never had a mosquito at all. It did not seem to effect the number of bear they seen. Judjing from what they said, I would highly recommend it.

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pioneeroutfitters, that's exactly what I'm planning on using it for!! That's great news, as Bear have a great ssense of smell. Last time I went, I bought this repellent from scent shield and it was named so that you would think it was scentless.....NOT!! When I saw this product advertised I was hoping it would perform. Thanks so much for your post. smoker

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Its called Thermacell and as a hunter in South Georgia who is regularly in the swamps of the South, I can tell you this product is the REAL DEAL!! I own 2 of them, and I won't go in the woods without one.

Deer cannot smell them as I have placed thermacells underneath my tree and have had deer walk right over it without so much as a glance. I've also carried mine in deer stands and within 10 minutes, you won't have a mosquito 20 feet from you.

Its the best invention I've ever seen for people who hunt in swampy conditions where bugs can be very bad.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
You cannot take the propane cannisters used to power up a Theracell on any plane. Its a prohibited item and it will get confiscated. If your going to take one, contact your outfitter to make sure you can get the cannisters when you land. In Canada that can be tricky.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hughiams, nman am I happy for your heads-up. I'm getting too damn old for all this driving so I am almost positive I will fly for my next hunt. I wonder if you could send your outfitter a refill through the mail??? All this seems very small in comparison to the benefits of scentless protection. Thanks again, smoker

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
You can order a thermacell and the canisters online and have it shipped to your destination so it is there when you arrive. I take my muzzle loader by plane and I have to send the black powder this way. I'm sure you can do the same for the propane cartridges for the thermacell.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like it would work. Appreciate all the great advice, smoker

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I believe the Thermacells are Butane powered.

Same stuff that fuels Zippo Lighters.

Zippo has an airline approved travel case that can be used for their lighters.

Honestly, I wonder where Thermacells butane cells are with this travel ban.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back the 18th. from a Black Bear hunt in New Brunswick. I used the ThermaCell and it worked great. It takes about 10 minutes for it to clear the mosquitos, however it didn't work so well on the black flies. I wouldn't go again without one.
The Thermacell works on butane cartriges. I packed mine up in and plastic container and put it in my my TuffPak. Conteninal and TSA went through everything and I had no problem bringing it on my flight. I had the ThermaCell and several replacement cartriges and nothing was said about it.
As far as the bears go, 3 of us got bears using it. The ThermaCell didn't bother them at all.
Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Here in Louisiana you can really test out any kind of mosquito repellent. The Thermacell does have an odor and deer can smell it. There is a scent cartridge you place in the thing that heats up and it puts off a faint smell. If the animals are not really pressured it may work fine but, if you hunt areas like I do where the game is often pressured, any smell will hurt your success. They work ok here in Louisiana when out in the open if you have them up wind of yourself. The best success is when in a box blind.

I know some guys that have put deer scent on the cards after the repellent has burnt off. I never tried it but, I can imagine it wil put off a stinch.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
I hunted in New Brunswick again this Spring and the Mosquitoes were brutal. On the third night, I finally used Cutters outdoorsman unscented bug spray. Like the nights before, the Bears came in and the spray did not bother them at all. It was a pleasure to be able to actually hear the birds and other animals instead of the constant buzzing of insects trying to get through the bug suit.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoping to do a fall hunt this year. Bugs are some less bothersome but still pesky. Thanks for your responce. smoker

--Thomas Jefferson