Find
Notify
Tools

GPS Software
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I'm about ready to buy a new Garmin GPS unit. I have been looking through all of the different software available for the unit and am kind of confused about which ones I really need. The unit will have 1gb of memory so I think I have room for a couple of different maps. The unit will mainly be used on hunting trips as well as, to a lesser extent, on fishing trips and some roadtrips. I live in California so would like detailed topo maps of CA and the surrounding states. Has anyone used the worldmap? If so where? How was the detail?

Have been thinking about getting topo west, worldmap and national parks west. Is there a specific CA Topo map that is very detailed? I haven't seen one on the net.

Does anyone have suggestions on which software is the best? Any experiences would be great. Is there a map that you have found most useful or almost useless? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
bulldog,

I use what may be an unorthodox method. My program of choice is USAPhotoMaps

This program (free ware) runs on my computer, displaying aerial photographs of the entire country, with lat and long display. I am able to transfer routes and waypoints from GPS to the program and from program to GPS. I print a copy of the map (photo) with waypoints and use the GPS unit to navigate.

It is really a high tech map and compass thing with the aerial photo a more detailed USGS map, and the GPS in addition to the compass. Batteries do not last forever.

The display on most GPS units is really small, and therefore the level of detail is less than perfect (though it looks great in the adverts). I use the map I created to plan and the GPS to navigate. My approach is, the GPS tells me where I am so I can go anywhere I want.

It is not the best option but it is cheap, easy, you control the level of detail and it works for me. It is easy to create a map or maps, covering a far larger area than I will cover in a day.

If the URL display above does not work, just Google USAPhotoMaps.

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Garmin Topo Software is probably your best bet. It will work cleanly with the Garmin Unit. The Maps are not huge and you should be able to fit much of you hunting territory on your unit. Most of the GPS units only accept their propietory software.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote