THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming Antelope-what is the herd quality like this year?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Antelope-what is the herd quality like this year?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings All,

I am considering another Wyoming antelope hunt this year and with the revision in the draw submission dates for Wyoming to May 31st, I was just wondering what the herd quality is like after the winter. For those who live in Wyoming or anyone who knows-what are you hearing about the impact of the winter on the antelope herd? Any information much appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We didn't have much of a winter again this year, most of the snow was down in the Laramie range area. Herds should be in great shape, G&F stated they didn't expect to much winter kill.

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve is correct, last spring was great for the Antelope herd here in central Wyoming.

Our winter has been mild and things are looking good so far. The numbers aren't what they were in 2010-2011, but are on the rise.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the others have said, there should not be much winter kill due to our mild weather. However, with all the severe wind storms we have been experiencing lately it wouldn't surprise me if 50% of our herd ended up stacked like tumbleweeds against a barbed wire fence in Nebraska!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Is it windy in WY?

Tom - Please tie up a big goat for me!

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

It's never not windy in Wyoming and this year seems to be worst then normal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is great news. Myself and some buddies leased some property in Johnson County this season for antelope and mule deer. Bought an a preference point so hopefully we draw. Looking forward to a nice week of hunting and maybe a little fishing.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WV2WY,

Do you actually live in Hiland? I drive through there quite a bit and keep neglecting to stop and have a beer.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
That is great news. Myself and some buddies leased some property in Johnson County this season for antelope and mule deer. Bought an a preference point so hopefully we draw. Looking forward to a nice week of hunting and maybe a little fishing.

You shouldn't even need a PP to draw an antelope tag in Johnson County as those units usually have a ton of leftover tags when the draw is done. However, a PP will be good for the deer draw in Region C. What antelope unit are you putting in for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
WV2WY,

Do you actually live in Hiland? I drive through there quite a bit and keep neglecting to stop and have a beer.

Lhook7

Yes we do, stop in anytime. Cross the cattle guard on the south side of 20/26 and I'm the first drive on the left. First ones on me!

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
Is it windy in WY?

Tom - Please tie up a big goat for me!

As always! Lol

Tom Kessel
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV2WY:
quote:
WV2WY,

Lhook7

Yes we do, stop in anytime. Cross the cattle guard on the south side of 20/26 and I'm the first drive on the left. First ones on me!

I'll take you up on that one of these days! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top Gun:

We figured we might not need a pp but figured for minimal amount it was worth it. The regions for antelope is 113. Is it worth getting a turkey tag for the fall. Will be out hunting a total of 7 days.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
Top Gun:

We figured we might not need a pp but figured for minimal amount it was worth it. The regions for antelope is 113. Is it worth getting a turkey tag for the fall. Will be out hunting a total of 7 days.

I'm glad you have some land to hunt on because there isn't much accessible public land in 113 other than down on the south end that can be accessed off highway 387 and north off of it a few miles on BLM 116. I would contact the landowner on the turkey question, as I have no idea if the terrain where you'll be in that unit holds any birds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
leased land in Wyoming to hunt on...
I can't stop laughing..
all the antelope have been on the BLM land just leaving their wintering grounds this last week or so.
the road sides from Pinedale down towards Farson and even down to 13 mile hill have herds of antelope 50-60 strong strewn out about 6-7 miles apart.
many of them have been cutting off south east through the Red Desert toward Wamsutter and Creston junction.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you laughing about when he needs some private land up in 113? We're not talking anywhere near where you mentioned way over there. 113 is up toward the Kaycee/Midwest area a long way from Pindedale and the other areas you're talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

We're getting one HUGE winter storm right now, their calling for 1'-2' of snow in the lower elevations. Central part of the state.
In the long run this will help the wildlife with more water and a nice green up this spring.
Hard on the young livestock.

Scratch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update. Had dinner and drinks with the landowner this week who suggested to save our money and not get a turkey tag. Great success rate on antelope and saw some nice muley pics. No matter what looking forward to a great adventure and some time in wyoming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know where kaycee and Midwest is.
they are just outside Casper up the black gold highway.
exit 210 on I-25.
they are just over the mountain from Pinedale in a manner of speaking.
I work all over the state of Wyoming from Baggs up through Shoshone and into cody.
over to Cheyenne and wheatland and back over to Evanston.
I'd just hunt in another area there is enough tags in places to get a good deer or antelope without resorting to giving money to a land owner.

I normally get a tag in the hoback area and just go up and get a nice buck without any drama then head back to Idaho for the opener here.
Antelope are easy enough to get on BLM land if you spend an hour or two looking for one.
lord knows I have run enough of them over driving 25 mph down a dirt road.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As usual a wealth of information on AR.Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess I'll have to make my decision soon for the May deadline.

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
As usual a wealth of information on AR.Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess I'll have to make my decision soon for the May deadline.

All but the units in the southwest corner of the state should be okay as far as the winter affecting them adversely. You'll want to take a look if you haven't already and see what the G&F is proposing for tags in the various units. If you see tag cuts, which there shouldn't me many, you'll know probably not to put in for that particular unit.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He said "The wind never blows

in Wyoming,"

I said, "Mister, where you from?

It'll take the top offa big R.C.

Or peel an unripened plum!

Wherever you been, you been lied to!

I lived in Wyoming, I know.

I once seen a horse turned clean inside out

From standin' outside in a blow!

You don't have to shave in the winter.

Just pick a cool, windy place.

Stand there a minute, yer whiskers'll freeze

and break off next to yer face!

They claim that a boxcar in Rawlins,

A Denver and ol' Rio Grande,

Was picked off the track

and blowed to the east

And beat the whole train to Cheyenne.

Why, they tell of a feller in Lander

Who jumped off a bale of hay

Before he hit ground the wind picked 'im up

He came down in Caster next day!

They don't have to shear sheep in Worland

When they're ready, they wait for a breeze

And bunch 'em in draws

where the willers are thick

Then pick the wool offa the trees!

But the windiest tale that I heard

Was about the small town of Sinclair.

It used to set on the Idaho line

Then one spring it just blew over there!

I carry this rock in my pocket

For good luck and here's one for you.

Every little bit helps in Wyoming.

If yer skinny you better take two!

Well, Stranger, you might just be part right.

Though, fer sure you ain't seen Devil's Tower.

Let's say the wind never blows in Wyoming ...

Under 85 miles an hour!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We put in for areas 46 and 47 in the south east section of the state (near Medicine Bow).

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
We put in for areas 46 and 47 in the south east section of the state (near Medicine Bow).

I hope you have a few PPs if you put in for bucks in either of those units because last years stats show 46-1 took <4 for 100% draw and 46-2 took <2. 47-1 took <5 for 100% draw and 47-2 took <4 for a 100% draw. Everyone has the same chance for doe tags in those random draws Wyoming does for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Early season or late?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

I hope you have a few PPs if you put in for bucks in either of those units because last years stats show 46-1 took <4 for 100% draw and 46-2 took <2. 47-1 took <5 for 100% draw and 47-2 took <4 for a 100% draw. Everyone has the same chance for doe tags in those random draws Wyoming does for them.

Yes, we have a couple of points each. We buy the points every year and put in every 2-3 years.

quote:
quote:

Early season or late?

Early season

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you only have 2PPs and the stats stay anything like last year there is no way you'll draw anything other than the 46-2 tag that was 100% with <2PPs. The 46-1 and both 47-1 and 47-2 tags take 3 & 4points to even have a chance of drawing a tag in the PP draw. Your only chance would be to draw a random tag and that chance is not good. IMHO if I were you and you want to have a chance to hunt one of those units this Fall, I would go into your account and change your applications to 46-2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, we have a couple of points each. We buy the points every year and put in every 2-3 years.

quote:
quote:

Early season or late?

Early season

Good luck! I'm turning in for the same units, but I'm doing late season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Early season or late?

Early season

Good luck! I'm turning in for the same units, but I'm doing late season.

As a resident you have a lot better chance in your straight random draw than he's going to have!