Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted
Drew a unit 600 tag any help would be greatly appericated. how about block managment???

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should get some other replies but IMHO I'd call the Region 6 FWP Office and ask to speak to one of the Wardens for that area.

They would know where the best areas are. Block Managment can be fine or a total waste of time. I've had 50/50 luck on block managment lands. A few times there were several other hunters and almost zero game, a few other times we found game and had a good hunt. I wouldn't RELY on BM as your only option.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:
Drew a unit 600 tag any help would be greatly appericated. how about block managment???

As FN said, call the warden. Elk in 600 are not easy.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14442 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
As FN said, call the warden. Elk in 600 are not easy.

No doubt that's true. This bloke is looking for antelope, though. Makes it a little better. Big Grin

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just made a note to call the F&G offices on Tuesday the 15th as that is the day I belive the BMA books come out.

And Frank is no doubt right on.

I've heard of some good BMA areas but have not personally experienced them. I am gonna give it a bit more try this year though.

I have however experienced some BMA areas that were managed shamefully poorly and terribly over pressured and over hunted!

Be careful and plan carefully and have a backup!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JLarsson:
No doubt that's true. This bloke is looking for antelope, though. Makes it a little better. Big Grin

Jeez, why did I think elk? Yes, antelope in 600 is much easier. Knowing what part of 600 makes a lot of difference. There are parts of 600 that are pretty good, and others that are not.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14442 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank I see you even make the papers down here. You had better be careful or you will end up at the star of one of these top cop shows> Big Grin

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HD 600 is huge and there is pretty good access to hunt antelope. I hunt there regularly as my family and my wifes family own large ranches in that district.

If it were me I would spend some time looking over BLM maps and knocking on a few doors. Let them know all you are after is a speed goat and not a whitetail or pheasants and you would be surprised at the response.

One area that doesn't get hit real hard is over at the west end of the district. I have seen some nice bucks out there and there is fairly good access as well.

My daughter will have her first big game hunt in HD 600 on my in laws ranch. It will be another special fall

Tnomen

Posts: 33 | Location: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you deside to try Block Management for antelope as a general rule look for the biggest ranches in the area. I won't bother with anything under 25,000 acres for BM.

I've had great success over the years on several properties that are 40K to 100k in size and have very limited access. My favorite place has two access roads nearly 5 miles apart with a 300ft. elevation change. I can glass the road hunters on the ridgeline then dress out my antelope.

Opening day is OK but if you can stay a few days and hunt during the week you might find some place all to yourself by Weds. The first two weeks of the season are fine, the last two weeks, which overlap deer and elk opener, well, you might get lucky. I have over the years but I wouldn't count on it on BM or public lands. The antelope get pretty spooky after a couple of weekends of shelling from the road.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thanks for the info I'm retired and was planning on being up there for 2-3 weeks starting on 10/9 or 10 so i'm passing on opening day, i'm also a die hard waterfowler and will most likely spend more time hunting ducks and geese then Antelope, if anyone has anymore info PM me, if anyone wants to get together for some duck hunting let me know, I have dog and decoys and can call.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote