New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Cat hunters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WE hunt mt. lion here in Wy. but are becoming more and more leary to run the dogs in the areas that are inhabited by wolves. What or how do you guys up north deal with the wolves? There have been 4 hound / wolf confrontations in Id. Wy. and Mt. and the dogs lost every time. It really upsets me and sickens my stomach. [Mad]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up here wolves are just another game species. Get a tag for them too, and hunt wolves while you hunt cougars. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Even better here in B.C. You don't need a tag for wolves just your general hunting licence.

I know a few cat hunters who use hounds and never heard complaints of wolf encounters but I never asked the question. The wolf population in my area could be more educated about avoiding hunters because we've been hunting them since we were first introduced to the area.

A hunting season for all preds is a must. It can be controlled and work. This province is a good example.

When they tried to ban the grizz hunt here, the NDP ignored it's own bioligist's opinion that it would take 60 years for the grizz to become afraid of humans if there was any lenghty time period of the closure. The liberal party's arrival squashed the ban instantly. That may be cofusing to most having the "liberal" party act like that with me included.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I think there is still the odd township with a wolf bounty here. They generally hunt them with a pack of big hounds, Black and Tans, or Bloods.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Kudu56, How large is your pack of hounds that you use to hunt cougars? One or two wolves should avoid contacting a pack of hounds especially if they are making plenty noise while trailing a cat and they should be specifically broke from wolf or coyote trailing. Now that in mind, I once heard some dogs running and barking on my property not far away so I ran through the woods and toward the sound inorder to run them back to the neighbors. Once comming into the open pasture I observed five dogs running hard in single file toward me. But then.....the two lead dogs were recognized as coyotes and suddenly the two yotes stopped and made a stand, all humped up and bareing teeth. The three dogs, about the same size as the yotes(35 pounds), came to an abrupt stop and after a few less aggressive barks, trotted off back toward the neighbors. The yotes after a minute or so trotted off at a right angle from where the the dogs went and me with no firearm. Even a lone dog out on it's own will be chewed-up or killed by a couple or three yotes. Aren't most of the cougar hounds these days although trained to push the cat but not to be too aggressive if the cat should bay on the ground so as not to risk injury of an expensive dog by the cat?

<jeremy w>
posted
I have often wondered the same thing myself. I do know that in at least one case, the one involving the Bluetick Cameron hounds, the dogs were mistakenly set on a wolf track.
I can easily see a pack of good hounds vs a wolf would end in the death of something. I wonder if the dogs were simply running past wolves if the wolves would still kill them. My guess would be yes since these wolves are artificial as hell and not prone to act like Canadian wolves.
We had wild wolves before the introduction and they were extremely secretive.