New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Ammo?
 Login/Join

<Hitman.300>
posted
I am thinking about buying some 30-06 tracer ammo just for fun but I was wondering if there is any danger to me or my gun. My gun is a REM 7400 semiauto about 3 years old in mint condition.Any info would be great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only issue that I can think of is to be sure that you clean your barrel immediately after you are done shooting to remove any corrosive elements from the tracer compound. This means Hoppes or similar with a brush followed by dry, wet, dry patches until clean and then a good coat of oil.
They can be fun but be carefull what you shoot them into. They can start fires and we don't need another Rodeo or Hayman fire on the news.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Hitman.300,

If I was to you place I'll never use tracer ammo in a new rifle. Tracer ammos are fun but you must to clean you barrel very carefully after the shots. Shoot tracer ammos a few times not all the times, or say good bye to your rifle.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of reloaded tracer bullets through my rifles. I cleaned them just as I would after using any other bullet, never had any problems.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years back there was a wildfire in Northern California. Arson investigators pinpointed the origin, did a careful search and found that somebody had been shooting tracer ammo. I can't remember if they caught the guy. A dim memory says they did. With all the fires, be careful. I don't know a damned thing about shooting tracers except it was a blast out of an M-60.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
I spent 10 years in the Army as an infantry officer. We started alot of fires with tracers. Even if your shooting into soft dirt they richote bad because they are hard ball bullets that do not expand. We used them as officers/nco's for marking targets. Also you can stack them in your magazine, say 10th, 20th 25-30 round to help you keep track of how may round you have left. I just counted rounds, and marked targets with the m203(grenade launcher).
Be careful its a felony and alot of jail time for starting a forest fire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they sure will start a fire and that can be a world of hurt to everyone including you if they trace it back to you....I'd pass on that stuff.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Hey Hitman-welcome to the forum. Nice to see you here after all the chats we've had on the "other one" As I promised you-no Scuba Boy here, only serious, knowledgeable people who want to share what they've learned. As to your question, I'd stay away from them: yea they're fun to watch, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Well, I gotta run, all this talk about tracers has got me having a Nam flashback. Any idea how I can get rid of the voices? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tracers are pretty to watch but no friend to barrels...and I shudder to think about the fire possibility.

We used to shoot them in the army and we would shoot for an hour and put out fires for six.

Although the new tracers don't seem to burn as hot or long.......I still wouldn't shoot them. Not this time of year. Wait till it snows or something and then play.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote