THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wild pig grand slam, who knows the biggest?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild pig grand slam, who knows the biggest?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a "thing" for shooting pigs, and my dream would be to one day to a grand slam of all the worlds wild pigs species, which are a lot more than you would think. From the Pygmy hog found in the reserve forest belt near Manas and Barnadi in Northwest Assam that only grows to about 8kg to the giant forest hogs of central africa and the giant Russian boars.
I also believe that in Australia we have, unifficaially, different pigs in different zones. Around the Bourke area we have small pigs with very long, thin tusks, the Cape York boars are stocky fighting machines well armed. In the Victorian highlands there are big bodied pigs that carry small tusks, and every know and then, especially in NSW 300gk pigs turn up, usually from grassland areas.
Just for the sake of it here's a list of the know wild pig species, there are surely some more I dont know about;

Sus scrofa scrofa - Eurasian wild pig(base model)
other subspecies:
Western races:
S.s.meridionalis
S.s.lybanicus
S.s.algira
S.s.attila
S.s.nigripes
Eastern races:
S.s.sibiricus
S.s.ussricus
S.s.leucomystax
S.s.riukiuanus
S.s.taivanus
S.s.moupinensis
Indian races:
S.s.davidi
S.s.affinis
S.s.cristatus
S.s.vittatus (banded pig from Indonesia)

Sus salvanius - Pigmy Hog
Sus bucculentus - Vietnam Warty Hog
Sus verrucosus - Javan Warty Pig
Sus barbatus - Bearded Pig
Sus cebifrons - Visayan Warty Pig
Sus philippensis - Philippine Warty Pig
Sus celebensis - Sulawesi Warty Pig
Babyrousa babyrussa - Babirusa
Phacochoerus aethiopicus - Desert Warthog
Phacochoerus africanus - Common warthog
Potamochoerus larvatus - Bushpig
Potamochoerus porcus - Red River Hog
Hylochoerus meinertzhageni - Giant Forest Hog

I am planning a hunt for the biggest, PURE Euro wild pig, but I am still trying to find out if I have been told the truth. As far as I know the biggest is found, not surprisingly in far Eastern Russia, in the Hobarosvk region near Vladivostok. They say they get to 400kg. (880lb)

Anyone else here as crazy as me about boars?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add that, unfortunatly some of the abovementioned spesies are endangered species, so cannot be hunted. It's still nice to read up on our quarry tough.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Express
A small town anout 100km north of me called Pine Creek had a Big Pig competition. This came about because pigs were running amok in the town ripping up gardens and such. The rules were simple...you could go anywhere in the Northern Territory to get your pig (didn't have to be shot, road kills counted as well)as long as you returned to Pine Creek for the weigh in. The biggest pig was shot on a dairy farm near Katherine, it went 140g. Not as big as a Russian but big for this area.
And I think I'm as crazy as you. I too would love to shoot the worlds pigs. If you count the pigs around here I'm off to a good start.
Bakes

Posts: 8049 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just checking out a hunt/outfitter site the other day, www.dgoa.com. They sell hunts in Russia, and eastern Europe. They were talking about 900lb boars! Yikes, that's a lotta pork! I have seen 600lb domestic boars, and I can't imagine 300lb more with tusks and an attitude. I do like hunting pigs though. Been hunting Texas pigs the last couple of years, 200-250 is about the biggest I've seen, with most a bit smaller, but they're a blast to hunt, and good eating.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express and Bakes,

Is it fair to say you guys are "Hog Wild"?

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<350RM>
posted
Sus Scrofa is also our primary quarry here in France. I recently heard of very big Boars which live in Romania. Two guys I know regularly go there and last time (in January) one of the two killed two: 127 and 143kgs if I remember well, but the most impressive is the tusk size: over 200mm.
I cannot wait to go there.
Up to now, my biggest Boar was 98kgs field dressed, but it was a youngster (Poland, november 2001).
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest I have taken are 110gk boar near St. George Queensland Australia, weighed him on a digital wool scale. And one one my property in Italy, but I was not able to weigh him but he was a LOT bigger than any other boar I have ever seen or taken! The biggests tusks I have were taken on the Roper River in the Northern Territory, Australia and measured 23.5cm right & 19cm left. I have photos of them all, but I found myself to be too computer illiterate to put them on hunting-pictures.com I'll try some other way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have the URL for the picture of the Romanian hog that was hanging from a tree next to the hunter?

HUGE.

Also, I was in BassPro Shops "Outdoor World" in Charlotte, NC a few weeks ago.

In the men's room there is a wall-size photo of one of the store's founders with a 1100-pound boar.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...If I e-mail the photos to someone, could they put them up on here for me? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas has some feral pigs and the largest one I ever saw was one that broke into a horse corral near Del Rio, Texas and killed and ate a yearling colt..the wife of the rancher ran out and killed it with a 25-35 Win. It weighed 750 plus pounds according to the rancher who weighed him on the ranches truck scales..I saw that boar and he was damn near a Hippo..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Australias biggest boar is about to be shot next week (if I get my way).... I'm off to bust some Bacon up near camerons corner. Think I'm being optermistic because this area doesn't produce Australias biggest but they are mean
There were some pic of a guy in the US who aparantly speared a 800+ lbs russian boar. I think the hunt might have been fenced but still a huge pig. Funny thing was I saw a pic on another site of the same guy, same pig only this time he was holding a Remmington XP handgun I think.... makes you wonder.....

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Fischer
Yep I love it! I hunt alone mostly and that adds a different thrill to the hunt. I went shooting with a mate on the Waterhouse river (it runs into the Roper river that Express spoke about)The pigs were lying under the drooping fronds of the pandanus palms and bursting out from under our feet, some of them were huge...great stuff!

Ray
I think the boar you saw has a brother and he's moved to Australia. I've been chasing a BIG pig that has the arse as big as a rhino for about 6 months.

Express its good to hear that some one is as bad with computers as I am!!

Hunter good luck with your pig hunt.

Bakes

Posts: 8049 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Piggy photos!!! A nice bloke from Italy, a friend of mine who has his own little alpine hunting site has put up some of my pig photos. If you want to see them go to:
http://www.alpicaccia.it/racconti.htm

The story's in Italian, it's just a short account of my favourite way of hunting them. - That is chasing them out of the thick stuff into the open and shooting on the run...ITS FUN!!!

<Bily Lovec>
posted
two years ago here in the hill country of texas, there was an article in the paper about a wild hog that was killed, 1080 lbs, had a picture and everything, I had a link to the story but it doesnt work any more...

one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS

Nice hogs you bagged.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its amazing to think of pigs exceeding 500lb!
When these monsters are taken, are they "lean"? I mean, are these animals with a lot of fat from rich feeding or is it mostly muscle?

[This message has been edited by Pete E (edited 04-12-2002).]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Express,

what style of hunting is used for these large pigs?? Do you use your Dogo's or is more a case of stalking as you would deer?

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, These pigs were either stalked, or flushed out of their hiding spots in small patches of "lignum" an Australian bush, then chased and shot on the run. I dont actually hunt much with dogs, because they get ripped up and I like losing dogs.

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Last year, a hunting guide here in Texas shot a feral hog that weighed in at 1057 Lbs. He shot the thing with a bow at a water hole. Location was a ranch near Junction on the edge of the Hill Country. We are pretty much covered up with hogs here. I shot a big old Russian mix last Sunday that weighed 250+ with good teeth. Every few months we get together and run them at night with dogs and kill them with knives. That can get pretty interesting sometimes.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Check out this link to the story of the big pig:

www.texaswest.com/archive/01/february/23/s.8.html

Who needs a dog when you have buddies like this?

[This message has been edited by David W (edited 04-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by David W (edited 04-17-2002).]

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wild pigs in my area of Missouri seem to run about 200 - 300 lbs. So far, I have killed 4 of them, 3 boars and a sow. They are either dark, almost black, or a reddish color with long hair. They are muscular with lean meat. If I hunt them at night, I set up an ambush spot and wait for them. If I hunt them during the day, I slowly walk through areas where it is shady, cool and damp, mainly areas where there are a lot of pine trees.

All of my kills were one shot. I use a semi-auto .308 loaded with the Sierra 150 gr SBT at about 2600 fps.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
I was just checking out a hunt/outfitter site the other day, www.dgoa.com. They sell hunts in Russia, and eastern Europe. They were talking about 900lb boars! Yikes, that's a lotta pork!

The only country from which we Yanks can bring home meat is Canada. Out of curiosity, what's it like for you Aussies? Can you bring meat home from abroad?

I'd love to shoot a 900-pound tusker, but NOT if I had to leave the meat behind.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO WAY MATE. They would never let you do that.
By the way, are the "hogs" you have in the States just feral domestic pigs? I mean, looking at them there is more than %50 domestic blood in them. In Australia many have obvious domestic blood in them, but depending on the area you go to. This is because they introduced European, Javanese and Indonesian wild pigs, as well as letting domestic ones loose. They havesince retain the qualities best suited to the locality they each live in, and in some place, like around Bourke NSW, they are very much like the northern Aftrican and southern Mediterranian island species, and show no trace of domestic breeding. around victoria, adn cooler areas, the domestic pig clearly shows through. The so called "Russian" pigs, which are the same species througout Europe get so big in Russia and north eastern Europe as an adaptation to the cold climate, like many other animals. and even then, I have found teh 400kg was an exxageeration, although 350gk is not rare. I would say that 800lb is the extreme limit a pure wild pig can attain. Any more is definatly inbreed, and so are most of the other large (150/300lb) pigs that are shot everywhere.
Another thing is that, in most cases the pigs size is greatly exagerated.
What would you say the animals in the photos on the link above weigh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hogs around here are definitely not escaped domestic pigs.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...so where did they come from? Pigs, being very prolific dont take long to "evolve" to their surroundings, they will adapt black or dark coloration in a short period of time. The same thing goes for rabbits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,
I guide in South Florida. Our hogs are what would be defined as "feral". Bear in mind, however, that porkies only require 1 or 2 generations to return to their "roots". A phenomenon that I study as a dogtrainer is called "drag of the race". For instance, if we let our dogs interbreed indiscriminantly over X number of generations they would return to their roots, or wolves, most likely. It's domestication in reverse.
That said, in the last couple years, I've killed, guided kills, caught, or trapped a truckload of hogs. As you say, they vary by region. Where I live they feed on citrus and I'm told by biologists that the citric acid eats away their teeth. Oddly enough on a large cattle ranch where I run dogs, the piggies get quite large with teeth. They've trapped several in excess of 300lbs. The difference is that the ranch owner allows none to be killed. There is no pressure and plenty of feed without hiding in the groves.
They are considered vermin here and hunted/trapped year round because of the damage on private property. Yet they still survive. That's what makes them so "game".
One of the posters mentioned killing them with knives after catch or bay dogs hold them. The people I travel with don't allow guns at night. They leg them and catch them alive, feed them and sell them. Sounds crazy, and is, but a lot of fun in a palmetto thicket. They also castrate and release boars. "Bar hogs". The boars over 200 lbs or so are too tough and nasty to skin and eat most of the time. A head shot can save the meat.
Good hunting,
J

------------------
Never do something once you're not willing to do the rest of your life!
www.jeffsdogworks.com

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be the pic rick3foxes mentioned above. THe post I Saw was it was from Russia but no one confirmed it and they ahd the weight near 1,000 lbs.

I remember the hogs in Germany near where I lived looked like VW buses. When we Volksmarched near the forest the hogs would almost always scare the crap out of a few of us.

------------------
~spectr17

Jesse's Hunting Page and Gear Review

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
spectr17,

It almost looks like he is about to do something unnatural to that hog. Must be an Aggie.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one MONSTER pig. I would not say it is 1000lb, but a safe 250 - 300kg(550 - 660lb) and is about as big as a pure wild boar can get, Notice it's legnth in proportion to it's overall size. I'ts short, not long like a domestic pig. Shame you cant see the tusks. People can easily exaggerate the weights of pigs. Why doesn't someone try and tell me what the pigs on my link above wiegh?
I know what they wheigh, so I'll let y'all know how you went...

Just on the side, I shot a nice young 40kg sow this afternoon. (headshot for meat)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob,

Aggie or one them them no good backsliding Jayhawkers from Kansas.

Express,

I agree with your weight estimate also. The biggest hogs in Europe I saw would have been in the 600+ lb range.

------------------
~spectr17

Jesse's Hunting Page and Gear Review

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote