New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM Mule Deer hits the dirt!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a great buck I found in New Mexico a few days before season. Not long after first light on opening morning we glassed him up and watched him bed down. We made a stalk and got to within 300 yards of him and waited a long 2 hours before he stood to give us a shot. Our client made the opportunity count and hammered him!

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not think they got that big in the body in New Mexico!

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great looking buck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, beauty of a Buck

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy, am happy for you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proper!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Everything a mulie should be. Congrats to all.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A very, very rare deer in this state.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I did not think they got that big in the body in New Mexico!

+1

Nice rack to boot!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a big'un, does he go 30+ for spread?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have waited for a bigger one.

Not! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
The largest deer Ive seen in my hunting career came out of Southern New Mexico and on the Texas border, those sandhill bucks are awesome, Ive not seen better in Mexico..but they are hard to hunt and far and few between in that big open country...tracking in the sand works best, walking in the sand is a killer. When I was a kid my best friends dad managed the old Frying Pan ranch in Texas fairly close to the Mexico border line. We very seldom saw any deer back then, but when we did it was an awesome sight..Better management has improved that area of New Mexico and Texas, and the strong desert feed grows big bucks..Its definatly a young mans hunt. It would be a great hunt horseback..But those ranches are booked up solid for several years in advance these days. The Texas record Mule deer was poached in that area and hangs in the Dept. of Public safety in that area today. I don't recall what town, mayby Rankin, but not sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote