Notify
Tools

Re: Interspecies Rutting Activity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Quote:

It happens with Texas Aggies and sheep all the time.

Oh wait, you were talking about two DIFFERENT species, weren't you?

NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!

I think you mean Texas Longhorns and liberal cows...

CDH, A&M class of '93, '97

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I'll try and make this as painless as possible.Myself,I grew up in Idaho where the Mulies ruled for years and logged my whole life seeing game everyday almost.My wife spent 15 years with the Forest Service on the Payette National Forest out of McCall Idaho where we both lived and she was on the Survey Crew seeing her share out and about.

Well one day Bowhunting we saw antlers that looked like Elk in a ravine and we argued as to what it was thru the binocs as we could not see the body or head..So we waited and argued as to what is was...Then it stood...A mix of some sort with the body of a body builder(Very Muscular)and the head of a deer but the rack of an Elk..Which one I have know idea.The rack of an Elk but the body of a deer.Dangest thing I have ever seen and I have seen alot of game.To this day-I have know idea who did who to look like that right on the top of the Salmon River drainage by Burgdorf Idaho.The thing that amazed me the most was the (Body Builder look)Never seen it before or after.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Some think that they are poor survivors due to their ungainly locomotion which is neither a run nor a stot.

I witnessed this two years ago. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. Up until now, nobody I have ever talked to had seen/heard of or knew what I was trying to describe.

You must be a very wise man.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ten more days till season opens on muledeer!!!!

Dexter:

Your last comment brings to mind a question I asked several years ago of a Texas Game Warden, namely, how is a hybrid counted and in what season are they fair game? He really didn't have an answer.

Whitetail season typically opens in the Texas Panhandle/Plains about the first weekend of November and runs until January, while mule deer season is only about two weeks starting around the Thanksgiving weekend. If a Game Warden "declared" a hybrid to be a mule deer and you shot it outside of mule deer season, would you be in violation. And which tag do you use?

Fortunately, most Game Wardens aren't out to "get" you and recognize that a hybrid is not really addressed in law or regulation. I figure if you treat it as a whitetail in whitetail season or as a muley in mule deer season and everything else about your hunt/kill is legal, then you won't get hassled.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It happens with Texas Aggies and sheep all the time.

Oh wait, you were talking about two DIFFERENT species, weren't you?

As I understand it, it is more common to find a whitetail buck breeding a muley doe, but the opposite obviously occurs. The mule deer is presumably a hybrid of the whitetail and the Columbia Blacktail and is only a few thousand years old. While whitetail/muley offsring MAY be sterile, some can be fertile (just like mules). I hunt an area where both species occur, but identifiable crossbreeds are surprisingly rare. Some think that they are poor survivors due to their ungainly locomotion which is neither a run nor a stot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell: I've seen that weird gait several times. It's like the deer doesn't know how to run, almost tripping over himself in confusion.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I witnessed this two years ago. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. Up until now, nobody I have ever talked to had seen/heard of or knew what I was trying to describe.

Can someone please, to the best of their ability, describe this hybrid esape trot?? This has triggered my memory and I think I may have seen a crossbred deer on a video from Kansas running off but it looked more like it couldn't make up it's mind whether or not to 'stot' or canter or run.