Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Arizona and Barnes update...
 Login/Join

posted
Get your facts straight Westernhtr. Connie was never on the F&G commission. I called and asked. Maybe you better get some facts. Maybe we should boycott people like you.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

As far as Im concerned, the lack of a formal statement and continued support of the USO speaks volumes of Barnes' position. But I dont expect them to come out and say it.

Some have asked why the other thread that I perpetuated only called for a boycott of Barnes. That is a fair question and a good point.

I wouldnt knowingly support any of their (USO's) sponsors at this time. But I feel that as a member of the Utah F&G commision, for Connie to continue to support the USO does not go well with her public service position.

Whats more, I dont trust Barnes. I think their marketing tactics are as blatantly decietfull as you can get and that the above report just reflects their tendancy to tell people what they want to hear reguardless of where the truth lies.

Maybe Im just a little too biased about this, but Im just callin it like I see it. After all, as mentioned before this thing is not just about what is wrong or right but its deeply rooted in greed.

I was thinking along those lines as well, but I try to give all the benefit of the doubt. Not in their defense, but, if I were in their shoes, I suppose I'd want all my facts straight too before coming forth and making a statement. Nevertheless, with the amount of time that has passed, I'd say they should double their efforts and come up with something.

Maybe they will uncover and bring forth some new information. Maybe not.

Anyway, the good news is, Kentucky bow season begins next month!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some how USO uses a P.O.Box to recieve tags. They are sent to the USO box not the applicant.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know anything about the legal parts of hired goods. I do know that 250 plus tags from AZ ( successful from USO's application service) were sent to a p.o box in NM. This has something to do within whatever contract/paper work mumbo jumbo one has to sign.
AZGF receives quite a few complaints about USO holding tags from people who only signed up for the application service but not the added guide service as well.
AZGF will no longer send bulk lots of tags to services such as USO's after this year from what was stated at the last commission meeting.

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
See the thread Possible Solutions For AZ Permits in this section. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This mailing of tags to the P. O. Box is actually quite common. The application services use a "limited Power of attorney" to apply for you, generally using their money for a fee. As part of the contract you sign with them, it has the license and tags coming to them at their address until paid for. Everyone is all upset at USO, but I haven't heard a lot of talk about the other Outfitters/Services who all do the same thing (a lot of NM outfitters, Larry Altimus, John McClendon, etc.). This is gonna have a huge impact all across the West, and hopefully the affected states can pull together to make it equitable across the board in the future.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive nothing to hide. I simply stated my opinion and Ive done so plainly and openly just like most other forum members do about many things. You are free to draw your own conclusions just as I do. I look at their brocures and the blantant BS they print in their manuals and the rediculous cost of their products and that has a lot to do with the opinion Ive formed, fairly simple really. And I have posted as such simply because I havent seen anyone else do it and I think my position has merit.

Maybe Im wrong! I would consider it a good thing if I were, but frankly Im not suprised at their attempt to sidestep the issue. Ill tell you what, if the good people at Barnes will just do the right thing reguarding the present situation, Ill take back every negative thing Ive ever said about them. Hell, Ill even buy some of their bullets. But not as long as they are in the USO's corner. The ball is in their court, how long are you willing to let them hold it?

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,

First off, I will go on the record and state that I am fully against everything that USO has done, and do not agree with the decison that has been made by the courts.

With that said, I would like to add that it is obvious that you have another motive for your bashing of Barnes Bullets.

You state that you don't trust them because their marketing tactics are blatantly deceitful. What does that have to do with the USO problem? Why not elaborate on that! I use their products, and don't see anything they have done as being deceitful. Randy and Connie Brooks are quality people in our hunting industry. They have both spent many thousands of dollars and countless hours towards good causes with our wildlife, and especially with yours in Utah. To bash them unrelentlessly as you are doing should stop because I feel you have a personal vendetta. If this is the case, then take it up with them. I see you live fairly close to their office in American Fork, and I know them well enough that they would gladly meet with you. By the way, Connie has never been on the Utah G&F Commission. She was a member of the Wildlife Board. Totally different.

Barnes Bullets, as well as any other company that has been tied to Taulman, no matter how bad they may want to, must first and foremost cover themselves in the legal arena before they can make any decision about their immediate relationship with USO. Yes, I as well, look forward to a statement from them in regard to this, but as a business owner myself, I also understand what they must be going through on their end. I'm sure they want this to go away, but they must first make sure that they aren't the next object of Taulmans sue happy personality. The sponsors of Taulman are all different, and I'm sure their contracts are different also. If you wish to put pressure on them, then I think you can in other ways besides the vindictive approach in which you are proceeding. I would hope that we could rise above this.

Kirk Kelso
Pusch Ridge Outfitters

Posts: 13 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've looked at their brochures, and I've also looked at their manuals, and I still don't see the (blatant BS) as you call it. Hell, show it to me, and I might agree with you! In regard to the cost of their product, that's for them to establish. A box of their bullets will sell for approximately the same as a box of Swift A-Frames, Nosler Partitions, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, etc. Yes they are probably going to cost more than Sierras or Hornadys, but I'm sure I don't have to explain to you why that is.

What makes you come to the conclusion that they are side-stepping the situation. Because they haven't jumped to the window screaming that USO sucks? Like I said earlier, you and I don't know what's going on with in their office. There may be other factors that they must work out before they make the stance. Yes, some of the other sponsors have made their stances, but their situations may have been different. I haven't seen any statement from them in support of Taulman, so give them a chance. I won't let them hold it forever, but this is too soon to scream foul.

If they do make a statement and drop USO, then I would hope that you would stand behind your word and take back all the negative statements and start buying their products again. I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it.

Kirk Kelso
Pusch Ridge Outfitters

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ill take back every negative thing Ive ever said about them. Hell, Ill even buy some of their bullets.

...hey, if you do, be sure to get the new triple shocks...they're awsome! Most accurate and consistent hunting bullet I've ever loaded!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bottom line IMO, I just hope that Arizona residents like Paul and Tony are not denied their privledge to hunt forevermore because of a lot of greedy bastards with the power to remove said privledge. I say this is wrong and I feel like I would like to send the perpetuators (USO) that message as loudly as possible and to convince their sponsors to drop them is the best way I can think of to accomplish this.

Well said Wstrnhuntr...these days it is becoming harder and harder for the average Joe to stay in the field. USO essentially trying to squeeze out your common hunter just so they can make an extra buck. Sad but true.

MG

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Well, I had a reply all typed up attempting to answer what I can about my opinion of Barnes, but... I dont think I should turn this into a pissing contest of what is or isnt good about Barnes and their products and sales methods.

If you like their products and feel your getting a stand up deal then Im happy for you. And if you feel that their continued support of the USO means nothing then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Bottom line IMO, I just hope that Arizona residents like Paul and Tony are not denied their privledge to hunt forevermore because of a lot of greedy bastards with the power to remove said privledge. I say this is wrong and I feel like I would like to send the perpetuators (USO) that message as loudly as possible and to convince their sponsors to drop them is the best way I can think of to accomplish this.

FWIW, Byren

PS, If they do the right thing I will indeed let you hold me to my word. I even know which ones I would try. But not until then.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Micky1,

I'd fix it tomorrow, but you offered since you're the one that broke it!!!!! How the hell are you anyways?

Wstrnhuntr,

It looks as though in all aspects to this issue with USO we are both on the same page. In regard to the Barnes issue, we beg to differ, but thats what these discussion boards are for. To speak our minds and opinions and have good natured agreements or disagreements. I'm willing to give them some time as surely there are some contractural/legal aspects they may need to clear up. I don't for a minute think they are backing USO. Lets give them a few more days.

Kirk Kelso

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kirk

Doug wants to know when you're going to fix his screen door?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled this from a post on the Bowsite. So the credit goes to this gentleman.
This may give Barnes a better picture as well.

I spoke with Deputy Director Steve Ferrell at AZ G&F today about the contents of the USO letter and he said that at no time did USO ask for 10%, they wanted 21% like New Mexico, and he said they absolutely never said, "Take your best shot!"

Wonder who I am going to believe?

Don

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long has this lawsuit been going on? Seven Years? Now Realtree drops their sponsorship of USO and they are clear? I don't normally shoot Barnes bullets but I may just buy a couple of boxes. Quit your damn whinning and suck it up. I may never be able to hunt again..........BooHoo. How about doing like the rest of the people. Get a job or a second job and hunt your ass off. Some of you people are like welfare recipients. If the government doesn't supply you with a place to hunt you can't do it on your own.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Shouldn't it be possible to prevent USO's operation by modifying the rules for tags?

I think USO�s service is disgusting

Cheers
/ JOHAN