New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS for lignum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...I would have put this in the technology forum but there doesnt seem to be much atcion there. If there are any Aussies here you can relate. When I go hunting in the lignum swamps it can get quite scary to be frank. I borrowed a Garmin GPS from a friend once, but coulnd get it to work. Turned out it wasn't all down to my technology illiteracy, it was busted, but who can tell me of a good, SIMPLE to use GPS?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Garmin E*Trex. To date, it is probably the best 'basic' GPS ever made. Easy to use, reliable, cheap ($99).

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

I own one and will be buying another one for my father, who hates his old, complex, Magellan.

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Garmin Etrex Camo. I work as a reservist for the Idaho Fish and Game. this time of year I trap sage grouse, and I use mine for work a bunch. I found it to be extreamly useful in Idaho's big desert. After you get pretty good with it you can enter way points into the GPS from a paper map or a map program in your computer. That way you know when you get to where you want to go even if you have never been there before. I use mine all the time. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Express, you don't say what state your from in Australia? If your a Taswegian, they have a new device out to help you find your way home.........

Red string

Seriously,
check this site out mate....
http://www.australianhunting.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000076

one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

I've got a webpage with info and reviews on GPS units that might help you out at

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/gps.html

------------------
~spectr17

Jesse's Hunting Page and Gear Review

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Jomby>
posted
I would highly recommend a Garmin unit. I recently had a problem with batteries leaking into my GPS 12 (no fault of Garmin), and they sent me a new unit free of charge. Can't beat a company like that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is advice from one of the most technically challeged person I know (me). If you are interested in a GPS, and all you want to do is keep from getting lost, get the E-Trex. It works, it's cheap, and it's dummy proof. You will still need a good compass, but the E-Trex will give that little extra bit of confidence, and it even works in the dark, which I have found comes in handy.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not until 5 years later that I came acorss this post again. Since then have I baught a Garmin E-trex. though I didn't remember aything from this posting...

I took it into the lignum and was able to wander around without worrying about getting lost and it has gotten me a lot of good pigs!

Interesting to come across this one old post!

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suunto makes a wrist watch/GPS unit.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Etrex. Gives you that little comfort spot when out in unkonown areas.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote