New
Find
Notify
Tools

Javelina Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are Javelina good table fare? I'm sure there are lots opinions, a lot of people don't seem to like wild hog, but the ones I have shot have been quite good, at least good BBQ. I am thinking of going to south Texas early in the fall, and was thinking about going after Javelina.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on who you talk to. Some people say it's great eating and others wouldn't even feed it to their dogs. I only ate it once in some tamales and they had so much hot peppers in them you couldn't taste the meat. I'll guarantee you one thing, about those tamales. There was some serious fire down below for several days.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Javelina are a good eating animal. Its got to be skinned right away and with great care not to get the hair anywhere on it.
The musk glad is on the back and this oily stinky stuff will ruin the meat if it gets on it in.
We have always made breakfast suasage with the ones we have taken. If you do get a big old boar or a bit of hair that leaves the musk scent, soak the meat in butter milk or regular milk. It will take out the gaminess and scent.

We take the weight of the javelina meat add 1/2 the total of that in pork (we use boston butts)and 1/4 of the pork meat weight in smoked bacon ends. This gets ground twice. Course then fine.Add sausage seasoning to taste and mix well.
Makes a great sausage.
Coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people don't mess with them because it's quite a bit of work for a little meat. As coues said, you have to be very careful with them because of the musk gland. In most places in Texas, people would rather deal with wild hog meat because it's hard to screw that up and you get more bang for you buck. With that being said, there are some people that take the time to mess with javelinas and generally like the taste of the meat.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I shot some Javalinas in deep south Texas. The meat was OK if not over cooked. It is not as good as wild pig.
I have found wild pig to be the BEST game meat around.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
I only ate it once in some tamales and they had so much hot peppers in them you couldn't taste the meat.
Paul B.

There's a reason for all those peppers! Javelina have a "distinctive" taste but young ones are not bad when dressed and prepared properly.

You should definately consider hunting them; everyone should take one, but watch out for the fleas! Smiler

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
but watch out for the fleas

and ticks, and lice...

Definately one animal best hunted in the dead of winter...

Like any wild game, some like 'em, some don't. Like the guys said, they take some special consideration in dressing...but IMHO they are right there with wild goat/sheep, when well done they are ok.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great fun if you stumble into a herd of them. Most places I've hunted consider them varmints and ask you to not hold back. They generally offer you a variety of shots as they seem to have trouble figuring out which way you are and which way is the exit.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote