New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis Deer Hunting in Hawaii
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used to know of a few places but have lost contact. My wife and I want to hunt for Axis deer in June on Lanai, Molokai or maybe Maui. I'd prefer a do it yourself hunt but would consider semi-guided or guided. Anybody have any current info on opportunities?

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Keith. It's good to see your wife back in the saddle so soon. I've done a couple of self-guided hunts on the Big Island. Putting together any kind of a hunt in Hawaii can be very challenging if you're not a local. Search these forums for my posts on hunting there. Send me a PM for details if you like.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Hawaii I used these guys:

Lanai Co Game Management Div
P.O.Box L
Lanai, Ha. 96763
(808) 565-8202.

That was a couple years ago, but they did a lot of year round hunting on Lanai. You could also check out Eugene Yap's South Point Safaris. I don't have any contact info, but you could probably find it with a web search.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Parker ranch has some great hunting from what I hear, the bird hunting is also great.
www.parkerranch.com
On the big island Hawaii.
Found an article in Grays sporting Journal
2005 Expeditions & Guides Book

Posts: 20 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith, PM "Geoff" he lives and hunts there. He guides for pigs on Niihau but knows most of the operations and guides in the islands. I am sure he can also tell you where to go for a do it yourself trip.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Keith,

Link to the State of Hawaii's HUNTING PAGE

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Niihau Island Safaris

Interesting private island with hunting (including oryx and eland).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith, Answered your post in the African hunting section and sent you an e-mail.

ALOHA!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting private island with hunting (including oryx and eland

Terry, I have hunted niihau on a couple of occassions. I will do it again when I can arrange it. The island is totally unspoiled. There are about 150 natives on the island but you will never see the village. It is not open to outsiders. There are no amenities. You sleep on the beach and carry in food and water. The island is in the rain shadow of the closest island so is semi desert although the have had more rain the last two seasons than in many years. The place looks more like Africa than the rest of Hawaii. Losts af acacia, mesquite and shrubs of that type. Lots of pigs! I havent done the one day hunt that some of the tourists do. The best deal is to get into one of the pig culling hunts. Three days on the island. That is worth the price by itself. LAst year I took 150 animals in 3 days. There are eland and oryx on the island. The island is about 70 square miles and goes from sea level up yo about 1500 feet.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry!

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com