New
Find
Notify
Tools

building a rifle
 Login/Join

<razorback>
posted
I want to build a rifle. what sites can i go to, to get the barrel, stock, action, etc. This will be my first one. 35 whelen is what i am leaning towards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Australia a magazine called guns & game is building a project rifle called the .35 Sambar it is the .300 WSM case necked up. They state they will get a noticeable increase in performance over the .35 Whelen. There reamer is from clymer.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://benchrest.com/sst/

Razorback,

Here is a page with links to just about anything you might look for. I use this frequently as an online index.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of the 9.3X62 out of a military mauser action? close to a 35 whelan but mauser reciever mods seem to be at a minimum and there are lots of books out there. A friend and I each just started this project (our first effort). It looks like it will be straight forward

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You need to have a Brownell's catalog, even if you don't order anything from them, it is a great resource.

Before looking for parts, look into gunsmiths, and really, really research them. There are a small percentage of so called gunsmiths that truly deserve the term, name recognition and hourly rate isn't a guarantee of quality work. You might have to go out of your state to find a good smith, I have.

As far as action, you need a FFL to order one, and the choices are numourous. I'd consider the CZ-550 and Charles Daly Mausers, if your flush, then you just might want to spring for a Dakota.

For barrels, Pac Nor makes a very good product. I'd actually defer to the gunsmiths preference, as the top makers are essentially equal in quality, and I want to stick with a tube that the smith is comfortable using, whether it be Pac Nor, Lothar Walther, Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Douglas or Shilen.

Stocks, plastic or wood? Again, see what your smith recomends, many good products out there.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Go with the 9,3 x 62mm it is a much better round for African use than the .35 Whelen. I would give Ward Dobbler a call at Dakota and see what he can build for you. If you do go with the Whelen I would look at the Ackley improved version for ease of handloading.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Consider the 35 Whelen AI(ackley improved) it gives a little more definate shoulder for headspacing and about another 100fps+. Gun shows, pawn shops etc can be used as a source for many of the parts, or directly form the manufacturer(barrels) good luck.
www.duanesguns.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might check on a vz24 military rifle in your area. Pull the barrel and add a Pac-Nor or what I did at first was to put on a Midway barrel (maybe $100), Boyd stock, and then shoot, shoot, shoot and decide if you want to add a better stock and barrel. I believe the Whelan is a perfect choice if you are hunting deer, pigs, bear. I've even killed a few rabbits with mine. I carry it often as it make me comfortable when I am hunting in ernest. The bullet selection is very good and Hawk even offers varying wall thicknesses surrounding the core for controlled expansion at various ranges.
Maore than anything I agree that you find a gunsmith you trust and who may be willing to allow you to watch or participate while he works. The experience is invaluable.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote