New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your knife of choice??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love knives and consider my Dozier my go to knive. I especially like the sheath design for ease of carry. Dozier Knives

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a place where one can send your knives to get them sharpened professionally? AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a K-Bar with a 5 1/2 in. blade. Just the old military style knife. It works great for skinning, quartering, and cleaning. If I loose it it's not the end of the world. Didn't cost a lot. The knife takes a good edge and holds it pretty good. I also carry a case sodbuster jr. as a pocket knife and it is very handy when hunting. Neither knife is top of the line but they do a good job for me and thats all I want.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A George Herron custom, no question about it.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fallkniven H-1 is my favorite hunting knife.
Pure and simple. Fantastic steel!!
Combine the Fallkniven WM-1 with the H-1 and you have a perfect hunting setup.
Fallknivens are a little costly, but are worth having.
You can buy them from many on-line knife dealers in the U.S. at good prices.
Get the DC-3 or 4 ceramic/diamond sharpening stone too! You will be happy.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite field use knives are the older Puma folders, the bigger ones, when I elk hunt I carry the 2 bladed one that has a saw blade, or when deer and pig hunting the one with the gutting blade, a Puma Skinner, a Randle Trout and Bird, A Randle No5, and the Blaser Folder that has a knife blade and an interchangable saw blade.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
In 2005, my son presented me with a Ruana 11-A. Since that day it has dressed 3 Antelope, and 6 Whitetail. It retains its edge and is just plain beautiful. For skinning I use an old Buck skinning knife. There may well be better knives, but none better to me.

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIG1LOST
posted Hide Post
36 year old Old Timer Deer Hunter and got a new Shrade TrailBoss few years ago for Christmas from my son.
I could never replace the former for the $20 it cost in '73,,the latter not at any price. dancing

a good horse,a churchill sized Maduro,a true rifle,and 50 year old brandy..................

Posts: 87 | Location: Louisiana,but want to be back home in the Rockies..... | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a cold steel pendleton hunter. It has a 3.5" Stainless blade, and is a good shape for cleaning and moderate skinning. I have always been a fan of Benchmade fixed blades as well.

Really fancy knives don't get out in the field much for me, I feel bad destroying them.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a case trapper every day.When hunting I have one that does that job.They are the carbon steel blades not the ss.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for Knives of Alaska thumb

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
you should look at Bill Ingram's knives the are wonderful.

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used many knives on Deer and found all had their good points. When I started hunting Elk, none of the gut hooks on the Deer knives were big enough. Then I discovered the swingblade by Outdoor Edge that has an entire blade for the gut hook. A good skinning blade on one end and the gut hook on the other, with the blades swinging as to their use. Great knife. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
A Blade is a blade, some of the best blades I own are just old fashion carbon steel.

If one knife can last you the season? That's cool! But this is what I use.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knives of Alaska. great knives in my experience.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple Bark River knives. We'll see how they do.

Thanks

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years my most frequently used blade is a Schrade Old Timer. I have cleaned countless trout, birds and a number of deer, antelope and a Dall Sheep. Its not fancy, but I got it at a time when my finances were much more moderate.

It does not hold a keen edge for long, but it only requires a few strokes on my pocket stone to bring back the edge. I can usually gut & skin a deer with one, maybe, two sharpenings.
Its handy, was cheap and works for me.

I acqired a Bladetech Folder, S30V steel, a couple of years ago but have yet to use it on anything. Likewise, with a Benchmade Rant DPT that I bought last year. Am eager to use the latter on an elk.

You do not have to mortgage the ranch to get a good serviceable knife. But, if you are into max quality & looks- then, by all means go for it if money is no object. Personally, I have admired Randall knives for a very long time, but I cannot bring myself to pay the price.JMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
I bought a couple Bark River knives. We'll see how they do.

Thanks

ddj

Trouthunter, let us know how you feel about the Bark River's after a while. I have several and they have been good knives, the convex grind is a little different, but I sharpen mine the same way as my other blades, not with the cushioned sandpaper method I have read about for them--maybe that was from the Bark River website...I have found the quality to be good, and their edge retention has been pretty decent too. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Santa just brought two of my grandsons and my son a Outdoor Edge Swingblade knife for Christmas, because he got tired of them borrowing his. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, a Fallkniven H-1 or any Dozier.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutco
Get the one with orange handle. I've lost a couple knives while I'm butchering. Sit them down for moment and can't seem to find them again.
Cutco hunter is not cheap but after 40 years of using knives on animals, I'm sold.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
My Chris Reeves's Ubejane field dresses 5 deer before losing its shaving edge !

I own this knife and it is 100% top shelf. It has been abused to no end and it still works exceedingly well. I am going to buy a spare in case they stop making them for whatever reason.

posted Hide Post
For the last 2 season I have used an Outdoor Edge Swing Blade. Best field knife I have ever had.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG1LOST:
36 year old Old Timer Deer Hunter and got a new Shrade TrailBoss few years ago for Christmas from my son.
I could never replace the former for the $20 it cost in '73,,the latter not at any price. dancing

Like everything else, now made in China. Mad

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Puma White Hunter and use it extensively. As a back up I have knife in Leatherman Skeleton plus the carving knife I always have on me.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote