New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irish Setter boots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking at a pair of snow trackers anyone had a pair? how are they for long hikes and sitting.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Irish Setters are comfortable boots that overall seem to be well made. HOWEVER, I just went through my 3rd pair in less than 2 full seasons of all around hunting! In each pair (model 1895?) the off-shoot version of Goretex went out. They were good about replacing the boots at no cost, but who wants to break in a new pair each season and be only half confident? No thank you! My last pair of Setters went out last weekend on a scouting trip, so enough is enough. I hurridly trying to break in a new pair of Danners.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the redwings let you down.I feel they're one of the best everyday use boots on the market.I've never bought the irish setter line though,just the all leather,insulated,full lug,8"tops.Have a hardware store near by that sells them close to 20-30% off of what the "redwing store" sells them for.I buy a new pair every new year,ride them hard and put'em away wet,for 40-60hrs a week all year long,and my feet stay comfortable and dry.Before I discovered redwing I was buying new boots every 6-8 months,and really looking forward to getting them the hell off of my feet every day.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Irish Setters are a subsidiary company of Red Wing, but Red Wing shops are furious about the marketing of Irish Setters. In a nut shell, Irish Setters are sold by stores that can sell in volume and actually cost Red Wing dealer shops more. This is why you see them in Cabela's and the like.

I own a pair of Irish Setters and like them, but I don't have rough country to travel through. Just corn fields and gentle rolling hills and a few scattered woods. With the particular pair I have it is nearly impossible to get your foot in the darn things without a shoe horn. They did not provide a back strap to grab a hold of so that you could push your foot in. I have had to use pilars on several occasions. Especially if wearing two pairs of socks! I believe on their newer model they changed that. If I had to do it over I would take a hard look at a pair of Rocky's or Danner's.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO I've had better boots made by Danner, Wolverine, and others.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote