New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm doing an aoudad hunt in West Texas and will be shooting a 280 Ackley. Any bullet suggestions (brand and weight)?
Thanks.
Dabney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a 160 Gr Nosler out of a 7mm Rem Mag. Your 280 will be almost a ballistic twin. It worked. Went in one side and out the other. Mr. Aoudad made about 4 steps and went down.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 150gr Partition myself. You get great velocity and it is just a superb bullet. if you don't like the partition, go with the Accubond for a little higher BC.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Dabney

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot several with my 7x64 using the old 160gr Hornady. You don't need a special bullet but you do need to place the bullet on the shoulder. They're pretty tough and tend to run into some nasty spots when shot behind the shoulder.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Although I've nver shot an aaudad, I would guess their heart-lung area is like many other African species and further forward than our N.A. species; therefore, the bullet needs to be place on the center of the shoulder rather than behind the shoulder. Hence, I likely opt for any of the premium bullets to get thru the shoulder bones.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hunt booked next year also. When I asked, I was told 270 or bigger and bonded bullet or tougher.

He also stated the same as above for shot placement. On the shoulder, not behind.

I am going to use a 130gr GMX out of my 270. Maybe a 130gr TSX, if the GMX's don't shoot.

If I have to go to a bonded bullet I will then move up to a 140 or even 150 depending on which shoots best.

If I was taking your set up, I would choose a 140gr mono or 150-160 bonded. Whichever shoots best.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why not take a 308/30-06 w/a 180gr bulet and not worry about the small stuff.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Shot mine with a 180 gr Nosler Accubond. He went about 25 yards.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care how much the bullet costs - first priority must be diameter. For Aoudad, 30 cal works great. Another vote for 180 gr Acubond.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bigger is better with Aoudad. Tough critter with good front end musculature. I used a .225 grain Barnes X with complete pass through both shoulders. Believe me you don't want to have to go chasing him.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recent responses.
Dabney

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Shoot the shoulder. Behind the shoulder is a gut shot. They are not built like deer. Heart is forward of the shoulder in the brisket.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote