Notify
Tools

Rookie NA hunter elk question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy All:

How does an 6x5 elk scoring 295 inches measure up as a trophy? I've only hunted in Zimbabwe before, so I know the rules of thumb there, such as 40 inches for a buffalo, 50 inches for a kudu, 50 pounds for an elephant etc.

Just wondering where a 295 inch elk stands, average, below average, well below average, and so on. Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Howdy All:

How does an 6x5 elk scoring 295 inches measure up as a trophy?

If you love him and the hunt was one you'll always remember then I'd say he's a terrific trophy. Score is so over rated its not even funny

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

My hunting trip was primarily for my son age 12 to get his first deer. On a ranch. While I was there I thought what the heck, I'll try for an elk.

I paid $3,500 for the elk, which was in the 281 to 320 category. Was told the elk might be a bit over 320. Hunted hard for two days, one day with very heavy rain. Great hunting; shot the elk an hour and a half before dark on the last day.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any elk is a trophy! Especially a bull.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

+1

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
was this a fenced "hunt area??"
IF so, give us some idea where, please.
Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 x 7, about 300" I took in the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness 30 years ago. It was a public lands hunt, 24 miles from the trailhead. It was a tough, fair chase hunt in all respects. It sounds like your experience was similar. I wouldn't trade my trophy, and the experience, for a 450" taken on a "ranch" hunt.

You have every right to be proud of your trophy. Hope you enjoy the memory for many years.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

Can't say I really agree with this statement. It's too broad. Any free ranging bull is a trophy. But the originator of this topic states:

quote:
My hunting trip was primarily for my son age 12 to get his first deer. On a ranch. While I was there I thought what the heck, I'll try for an elk.

I paid $3,500 for the elk, which was in the 281 to 320 category. Was told the elk might be a bit over 320. Hunted hard for two days, one day with very heavy rain. Great hunting; shot the elk an hour and a half before dark on the last day.

I'm kind of thinking that by that statement this may not have been free ranging. I may be wrong and if I am the originator is well within his rights to tell me so. But if this was indeed an elk from some sort of fenced enclosure then it will never be a trophy. If it was taken under those conditions then it is livestock. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have every right to be proud of your trophy. Hope you enjoy the memory for many years.

+1

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you feel it's a trophy then it's a trophy TO YOU. You are the one who may feel proud of it. It represents your achievement. The thing is, as you mature you come to value some things less and others more. You may feel it is a trophy at this point. Ten years from now?

I have a friend who proudly displays every horn ever taken. It's somewhat of a bragging rights type thing I guess. He can't for the life of him understand why I was so quick to cut up a rack from a buck I got while on a trip, with him, to make coyote calls out of it.
I have kept only two racks in tact because they represent accomplishments of mine. Neither would impress everyone, but if you had hunted the same areas as I, your appreciation would definitely go way up. The thing is when I look at them they remind me of the hunt and experience. It's my trophy. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote