New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Move to Vancouver, WA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My job may be making me have to move to Vancouver, WA and I guess part of my decision is to get hunting info out in Washington and Oregon. What is the hunting like out there? Do you have to draw for tags for everything?

I am a Georgia boy and have hunted most of my life. But here it is mainly whitetail and hogs and all you have to do is buy a license.

Any input would be helpful.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of TreeWalker
posted Hide Post
Oregon and Washington are not known for trophy animals. WA F&G is fish-centric. OR F&G does not manage any units for trophy. Elk populations hurt when clear-cutting was curtailed since that produced grassy meadows. Also, lots of predation plus now have wolves showing up on edges of OR and WA. If you are a meat-hunter then should be able to put deer and elk in freezer each year.

I have been here 20 years. Grew up in MO hunting whitetails. I apply in several Western states for sheep, elk, deer, moose, goat and pronghorn but only apply in trophy units so usually draw just 1 or 2 tags a year.

Some decent turkey hunting and have Rios, Merriams and Easterns in WA.

Is in 70s and 80s for highs this week and humidity is not an issue. Does drizzle for months each fall and winter which is not everyone's cup of tea.

Posts: 23 | Location: Northwest | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I live in Ohio. I've seen really good animals come out of Oregon, especially mule deer if you can get to some of the best regions. In the Cascades, you have blacktail. That's a neat little deer to hunt.

If you move, good luck. That will be a big change for you. I grew up in your neighboring state, Alabama. Personally, I could easily transition to the northwest. The benefit of hunting out there is the variety of game.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of public land in WA. More in OR.
With a job in Vancouver Wa., One could maintain residence in OR and take advantage of a little better Hunting (imho), with a OR residence license. OR has an income tax but no sales tax. WA has no income tax but a sales tax.
I LOVE the Pacific Northwest!! I know you will too. Welcome!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rumor has it people do not actually get a tan on the western half of either state. It's all just surface rust.

Rich
SW Idaho

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote