Notify
Tools

Technology
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's an interesting question the op brings up (I personally have never heard of this). Using a drone for scouting. In theory isn't that the same as a game cam or the new plot watchers. And how is that different than asking a ranch hand where he has seen game. It is all 2nd party scouting isn't it???

Where is the line drawn and who draws it?

Just my opinion, but hunters themselves should draw it. As far as using drones, my only reservation would be a situation similar to Alaska I believe, where a hunter can not or could not hunt on the same day they fly in. Sending a drone out, tracking it and then going out and shooting the animal seems somewhat wrong. The big problem I perceive when using drones especially in say Texas is the fact that they may/could or will cross property lines, basically resulting in trespassing, similar to shooting across a property line if the hunter does not have permission to do so.

quote:
Don't some states outlaw hunting in teams with radios?

Colorado either does or used to.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most states (I think) have laws against bird dogging game from airplanes which, IMO, would include drones.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned that extreme anti-technologist Ted Kaczynski

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Can somebody please tell me exactly what form of technology reduces or eliminates the need for skill?

Really simple, when an experienced person uses technology to enhance the skills they have already developed, there is not a problem.

The problem begins with the inexperienced/neophyte that uses or attempts to use technology to make up for or replace lack of experience/skill!

But those same people have been around since a rock was the top technology. So the presence of new and more effective technology doesn't alter the ratio of those who embrace it wisely and those who think it replaces skill.

FWIW, there are no 1000 yard hunting rifles on a windy day.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:

Perry

MT forbids electronics (doubt that includes dog collars, etc.).....I even had to take the battery out of the lighted pins on my bow. I have no problem with limiting technology in a target-rich environment like MT.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Here's an interesting question the op brings up (I personally have never heard of this). Using a drone for scouting. In theory isn't that the same as a game cam or the new plot watchers. And how is that different than asking a ranch hand where he has seen game. It is all 2nd party scouting isn't it???

Where is the line drawn and who draws it?

Just my opinion, but hunters themselves should draw it. As far as using drones, my only reservation would be a situation similar to Alaska I believe, where a hunter can not or could not hunt on the same day they fly in. Sending a drone out, tracking it and then going out and shooting the animal seems somewhat wrong. The big problem I perceive when using drones especially in say Texas is the fact that they may/could or will cross property lines, basically resulting in trespassing, similar to shooting across a property line if the hunter does not have permission to do so.

quote:

Colorado either does or used to.

You don`t own the air space above your property.You can google earth live just about anywhere in the country from satellites and zoom in so close that you could count the ticks on a hound dog.So are they going to ban Google Earth???

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
those who think it replaces skill.

It is those who think it replaces skills that cause the problem.

Technology used to enhance or compliment skills are one thing. Technology used to make up for a lack of skills/knowledge is a completely different matter.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with people going high tech, but it's not for me. If anything, I got the other way. My favorite muzzleloader is a flintlock, my vow is a recurve. I make most of my accessories myself. I can't say that my way is better, from an efficiency standpoint it's pretty crappy, but I enjoy it. If somebody else wants to drag $10k worth of gadgets and gizmos into the woods with them, more power to them.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is my point, I don't have a problem with anyone using technology, to enhance existing skills/ability.

It is when they use technology, without understanding or learning the basics that I have a problem with, if that makes sense to anyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me. The only one that really bothers me is when somebody drops a ton of cash into a rifle/scope/rangefinder, etc, and then doesn't bother to practice and proceeds to try and shoot game at long range. Everything else is kind of comical.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup! and, after reading the ad, there's some cliff dweller somewhere, sitting in his apartment in his cammies, with a woodie.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote