New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Winchester Question
 Login/Join

<marcus>
posted
I have the opportunity to pick up a 375 Winchester in a model 94 big bore at a price that I can't say no to. I have no real idea about the cartridge, so looked it up in my Hornady manual. The best accuracy they were able to get is 2.5 inches at 100 yds. Is there anyone who uses this caliber/gun and if so, what are you using for reloading so that accuracy is good. I will be using it as a 150 yd rifle or less. Also, I notice that factory ammunition is almost obsolete, so is it hard to get cases, etc. In a round about way, I guess I am saying HELP please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Marcus,

Winchester Brass is $18.55/50 or $371/1000:
http://www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/components/rifle_shellcases.eye

200 grain Power Point ammo is also available:
http://www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfrlist.eye?cartlist=Mzc1IFdpbmNoZXN0ZXI%3D&uselist=none&brandlist=none&image=on&summary=on&velocity=on&energy=on&shortrange=on&longrange =on

My 1992 Guns and Ammo annual buyer's guide also lists a 250 grain Winchester load, but I do not see it on their site.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
I have the Marlin verson mod. 3758. I love mine and no, It's not the most accurate rifle I have but it's one of my favorites. Mine shoots @ 1.5 with hand loads. This cartridge can really pack a punch if loaded correctly. Check out www.sixgunner.con and go to Paco Kelly's archives (I think) and read up on the cartridge. It will surprise you.

<dannyboy>
posted
I, too, have a Marlin 375 and mine is quite accurate. I load the 220 Hornady over 39.5 gr of AA-1680 and a WLR primer in Winchester brass for around 2240 fps. My groups average just over 1.25 moa with my best being 1.03 moa. Not bad for a levergun!

<rossi>
posted
If I were you, I would hunt down the now dropped 94 BB in 444 Marlin. A true 200 yard cartridge with much more punch than a 375 Win at any range, and as of recent, much better loaded ammo and bullet selection. The 444 Marlin just may be the best tube feed lever cartridge made (but don't tell anyone). Striking a nice balance in bullet weight (240gr-405gr)and taking 200 lbs game up to 1000 lbs game.

As someone who shoots this cartridge, I have cleanly dropped elk at 150 yards with Hornady 265gr and CorBons 280gr Expander. Last year in fact, I took a nice big bodied 4x4 with the CorBon load, and I have never seen an animal buckle that quick. I have hit many elk with the 338 Win Mag. But that FN 280 grainer deliverd quite the knockout punch.

Take Care,
rossi